Protesting on Public Sidewalks now illegal in Alberta

In yet another blow to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Jason Kenney's UCP government has now made it illegal with fines of up to 200k or a jail term for protesting on public infrastructure including public sidewalks. 

At least this one has finally got the union's attention. 

https://www.beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgary/2022/2/11/1_5778169.amp.html

Why is Kenney continuing to erode basic human rights?

2 hours ago, West said:

In our country they use the excuse "rights aren't absolute" to trample to charter.

They have a point. The raw fact is, you have the right to die...that's it. The rest we "grant" ourselves as "civilized" people. Be that as it may...

I always thought our Canuck Charter was the law.

On 4/4/2022 at 11:59 PM, West said:

In yet another blow to the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Jason Kenney's UCP government has now made it illegal with fines of up to 200k or a jail term for protesting on public infrastructure including public sidewalks. 

At least this one has finally got the union's attention. 

https://www.beta.ctvnews.ca/local/calgary/2022/2/11/1_5778169.amp.html

Why is Kenney continuing to erode basic human rights?

Talk about being a drama queen LOL

handling out leaflets on a sidewalk, they could potentially be breaking the law." key word "could".

The article clearly stated the Province has never used the bill.

The article also said that "The blocking of critical infrastructure is unacceptable, and we believe that the Supreme Court of Canada will agree that the AUPE claim is without merit."

The article clearly states that the union tried to get the Bill cancelled and lost in court in 2020. It is trying again.

Nothing, absolutely nothing has happened to any of the protesters, oh wait, a couple got a ticket but, you have no idea why they were issued a ticket. Could have been for obstructing traffic. or maybe for being naked LOL

51 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Talk about being a drama queen LOL

handling out leaflets on a sidewalk, they could potentially be breaking the law." key word "could".

The article clearly stated the Province has never used the bill.

The article also said that "The blocking of critical infrastructure is unacceptable, and we believe that the Supreme Court of Canada will agree that the AUPE claim is without merit."

The article clearly states that the union tried to get the Bill cancelled and lost in court in 2020. It is trying again.

Nothing, absolutely nothing has happened to any of the protesters, oh wait, a couple got a ticket but, you have no idea why they were issued a ticket. Could have been for obstructing traffic. or maybe for being naked LOL

"Could". 

Guess it depends if Kenney likes you or not 

10 minutes ago, West said:

"Could". 

Guess it depends if Kenney likes you or not 

Bottom line is the or the police or any agency did not, whether they "liked" you or not.

Your subject line is misleading at best and completely wrong at worst.

20 hours ago, Nationalist said:

They have a point. The raw fact is, you have the right to die...that's it. The rest we "grant" ourselves as "civilized" people. Be that as it may...

I always thought our Canuck Charter was the law.

Whatever made you think the Charter of Rights and Freedoms was the law?

"The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/const/page-12.html

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Bottom line is the or the police or any agency did not, whether they "liked" you or not.

Your subject line is misleading at best and completely wrong at worst.

It's not wrong at all. Kenney made it illegal to protest on a sidewalk. 

Where are you supposed to protest? In private?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, West said:

It's not wrong at all. Kenney made it illegal to protest on a sidewalk. 

Where are you supposed to protest? In private?

The bill is a "law allows the government to levy heavy fines and possibly imprison anyone found to be unlawfully interfering with infrastructure like pipelines, highways, utilities and oil and gas production facilities."

If you wish to extend that to sidewalks, roads, overpasses, parks or anything else, go ahead but. that is not the intention and , most of all, no one has been fined or has been restricted from protesting. The union has already been to court and lost and now it lost again at the supreme court. So, you have no argument., Just drama

They can protest anywhere, and they have. As noted, no one has enforced this Bill and there have been lots of protests in Alberta since Bill 1 has passed.

So, yes, your subject line is misleading.  Typical of some here on this forum, you in particular.

Edited by ExFlyer

Protests and vigils are not effective. Elections are the way to influence policy. Of course if your solution to an issue is silly or contrary to what others want, or contrary to the public good, all you will achieve is frustration. When you have to inconvenience other people or bully them (hurt their feelings), you should reflect on the fact you are probably wrong. OTOH, if you know you are right and most other people are wrong, you are wrong. ?

31 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Protests and vigils are not effective. Elections are the way to influence policy. Of course if your solution to an issue is silly or contrary to what others want, or contrary to the public good, all you will achieve is frustration. When you have to inconvenience other people or bully them (hurt their feelings), you should reflect on the fact you are probably wrong. OTOH, if you know you are right and most other people are wrong, you are wrong. ?

To me some issues go beyond politics. Right to protest and bodily autonomy are two of those issues that government has really no business interfering in. 

1 hour ago, West said:

To me some issues go beyond politics. Right to protest and bodily autonomy are two of those issues that government has really no business interfering in. 

What is "bodily autonomy"?

You have choices and the choices you make have consequences.

51 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

What is "bodily autonomy"?

You have choices and the choices you make have consequences.

Why should a choice on what pharmaceutical products you take have a "consequence" of whether or not you eat in a restaurant? 

Anyone who says this is seriously demented

11 minutes ago, West said:

Why should a choice on what pharmaceutical products you take have a "consequence" of whether or not you eat in a restaurant? 

Anyone who says this is seriously demented

Ya have a choice in everything. Driving, flying, walking, eating in  a restaurant, at home at a food truck at a drive through. Things can happen in any of those choices you make and those are consequences of your choice..

As for pharmaceuticals, you have a choice whether to take them or not and you have a choice of which ones you take and the consequences of taking them.

Demented? No, an adult choice in each and everything you do and the consequences of those choices.... like it or not LOL.

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Ya have a choice in everything. Driving, flying, walking, eating in  a restaurant, at home at a food truck at a drive through. Things can happen in any of those choices you make and those are consequences of your choice..

As for pharmaceuticals, you have a choice whether to take them or not and you have a choice of which ones you take and the consequences of taking them.

Demented? No, an adult choice in each and everything you do and the consequences of those choices.... like it or not LOL.

Sure natural consequences. I don't take a vaccine I run a chance, albeit small, of catching Covid and ending up in hospital. 

Not the ridiculous nonsense of having your life restricted because you refused a pharmaceutical product lol. At that point its no longer a right.

5 minutes ago, West said:

Sure natural consequences. I don't take a vaccine I run a chance, albeit small, of catching Covid and ending up in hospital. 

Not the ridiculous nonsense of having your life restricted because you refused a pharmaceutical product lol. At that point its no longer a right.

Aha! So you admit,you have a choice and the consequences associated with those choices.

There were restrictions long before COVID.

12 minutes ago, West said:

What kind of choice is "take this pharmaceutical product or else?" ?

So, I had (?) cancer and was suggested I take Capecitabine. No guarantee that it would cure or even lessen my cancer. I had a choice, take it and the potential side effects and consequences of taking it or... not to take it.

Would I be cured? No guarantee. Would it lessen my issues? No guarantees. What would happen if I did not take it? No answer.

So, I was given the choice of "take this pharmaceutical product or else"

I made a choice to take it and am glad, so far, that I did. 

I made the same choice with the COVID vaccine  and so far, am COVID free.

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

So, I had (?) cancer and was suggested I take Capecitabine. No guarantee that it would cure or even lessen my cancer. I had a choice, take it and the potential side effects and consequences of taking it or... not to take it.

Would I be cured? No guarantee. Would it lessen my issues? No guarantees. What would happen if I did not take it? No answer.

So, I was given the choice of "take this pharmaceutical product or else"

I made a choice to take it and am glad, so far, that I did. 

Ya but if you didn't take it would you lose your ability to go to a restaurant or lose a job? No because its insane and has nothing to do with whether or not you take the pharmaceutical product. 

In the case of Alberta they enacted ridiculous emergency measures then effectively made it illegal to protest by putting nonsensical restrictions on. There's nothing "democratic" about that. Protest and debate are essential to any functioning democracy 

17 minutes ago, West said:

Ya but if you didn't take it would you lose your ability to go to a restaurant or lose a job? No because its insane and has nothing to do with whether or not you take the pharmaceutical product. 

In the case of Alberta they enacted ridiculous emergency measures then effectively made it illegal to protest by putting nonsensical restrictions on. There's nothing "democratic" about that. Protest and debate are essential to any functioning democracy 

And have not used them but, they are there is you need them....just like pharmaceuticals.

Oh and the Supreme court agrees with Alberta. Of course, you know better eh? LOL

19 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

And have not used them but, they are there is you need them....just like pharmaceuticals.

Oh and the Supreme court agrees with Alberta. Of course, you know better eh? LOL

The SC hasn't heard the sidewalk thing yet lol. 

Like when Scott Moe tried to use Kenney's logic to throw Tristan Durocher off public property for his 30 day camp out. Got slapped down by a judge