Truckers: Nazis or Nazi Fighters?

A prime minister in disguise: National Film Board

Pierre Trudeau has a reputation as Canada's most flamboyantly dressed prime minister. More than once in his life his unusual taste in clothing has landed him in hot water. While at university during the war, he came across some 19th-century German military uniforms in the attic of a friend. Trudeau and his pal decided it would be a great joke to visit some friends dressed up as Prussian officers. They roared off on motorcycles with the pointed steel helmets on their heads, startling all those they met on the road! While backpacking in the Middle East in 1948, Trudeau adopted the local costume and grew a beard. So well did he blend in with the inhabitants that he was mistaken for a Jewish spy by Arab soldiers in Jerusalem! Only the intervention of a Roman Catholic priest spared Trudeau from being charged with espionage, a crime punishable by death! After he became a member of Parliament in 1965, Trudeau often upset his conservatively dressed colleagues in the House of Commons with his casual attire. His long hair, sandals and loosely tied cravat were definitely beyond the usual standards of dress in Parliament, and he was upbraided for them by former Prime Minister John Diefenbaker

http://films.nfb.ca/media/pl_pm/bios/15th_pm_Pierre_E_Trudeau.pdf

1 minute ago, WestCanMan said:

I just googled it. PET and a buddy theoretically did it as a prank. Maybe Justin really is his son: dressing up in blackface is one of his favourite things. 

PET was from the very upper crust of Montreal elite...so the papers got a hold of it.

36 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

A prime minister in disguise: National Film Board

Pierre Trudeau has a reputation as Canada's most flamboyantly dressed prime minister. More than once in his life his unusual taste in clothing has landed him in hot water. While at university during the war, he came across some 19th-century German military uniforms in the attic of a friend. Trudeau and his pal decided it would be a great joke to visit some friends dressed up as Prussian officers. They roared off on motorcycles with the pointed steel helmets on their heads, startling all those they met on the road! While backpacking in the Middle East in 1948, Trudeau adopted the local costume and grew a beard. So well did he blend in with the inhabitants that he was mistaken for a Jewish spy by Arab soldiers in Jerusalem! Only the intervention of a Roman Catholic priest spared Trudeau from being charged with espionage, a crime punishable by death! After he became a member of Parliament in 1965, Trudeau often upset his conservatively dressed colleagues in the House of Commons with his casual attire. His long hair, sandals and loosely tied cravat were definitely beyond the usual standards of dress in Parliament, and he was upbraided for them by former Prime Minister John Diefenbaker

http://films.nfb.ca/media/pl_pm/bios/15th_pm_Pierre_E_Trudeau.pdf

I can’t seem to drum up any outrage for Prussian military regalia…. How do you do it?

image.thumb.jpeg.d920e84587ea38dc5252e5b5ecdb557e.jpeg

2 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Prussian?  None.

Do you find it disagreeable/outrageous/scandalous to wear Prussian uniforms?   You seemed to have the two eras confused...  Before, I posted the picture, did you know that they weren’t the same as Nazi uniforms?  

I wasn't around for WW2. But the people of Canada were offended enough, apparently. Snotty rich kid...not fighting in Europe...caught scaring folks dressed as the enemy. Nah...nothing to see...

3 hours ago, suds said:

I have to admit i'm a little disappointed with our 'media'.

I think it's sufficient to pronounce that we don't have free and independent formal media any longer (cannot comment for the past). There are many things we're finding out about ourselves in this pandemic.

4 hours ago, suds said:

I've searched for these infamous nazi flags and all i'm digging up is the same nazi flag (under a f*** you know who flag) over and over again.  I have to admit i'm a little disappointed with our 'media'.

Same with me. That's all I can find. Also I don't know the purpose of the one or two confederate flag carriers.  

On 2/5/2022 at 7:23 PM, DogOnPorch said:

I wasn't around for WW2. But the people of Canada were offended enough, apparently. Snotty rich kid...not fighting in Europe...caught scaring folks dressed as the enemy. Nah...nothing to see...

Pierre would have been about 20 years old in 1939.  I'm glad my family members risked their lives for this country and our allies in ww2 while rich kid Pierre had his face in a book.  True patriot just like his son.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Pierre would have been about 20 years old in 1939.  I'm glad my family members risked their lives for this country and our allies in ww2 while rich kid Pierre had his face in a book.  True patriot just like his son.

Quebec required conscription as there was little of that 'fight the Nazis' spirit, frankly. PET was against fighting the Germans...and the draft.

6 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Yup they all ran to the hills just like their brothers in France.

The thing we often forget about Quebec...New France...is that it didn't undergo the French Revolution. So the upper-crust were a rather privileged, self serving group of loathsome individuals. The Trudeau family was/is an example of that old money.

Edited by DogOnPorch