Lytton on fire

It is too early down the road to see the effects of global warming yet, to this magnitude.

Science tells us the effects of global warming will become more apparent in the next 100 - 200 years.

I know Greta Thunberg really makes you think the world is coming to an end in 8 years, but it's not.

3 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Which is not driven by human industrialization

Yeah, it is.  No natural cycle has ever seen heat increased as quickly as we have in the last 150+/- years.  Scientists noticed in the 1800s that industries produced gases that could create heat in the atmosphere - events since then have proved them right.  This climate change isn't part of any natural cycle.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Do we agree that climate change makes such events more likely, hillbillies and cows not withstanding?

Because I think that was what we were arguing about.  Since you got climate change and what caused the fire mixed up in a post.

No. I think one of us needs to learn the difference between climate and weather. There was a heat wave in BC for a few days. Lytton set Canadian weather records for those days in June. 

It isn't climate when there's a heat wave in summer and weather in winter when there's a cold snap - as much as some would like to believe that. 

Edited by Infidel Dog

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Yeah, it is.  No natural cycle has ever seen heat increased as quickly as we have in the last 150+/- years.  

No, the glaciers melted above Canada up to Virginia before industrialization. For your second point, we don't have data to say what you're writing is true. 

The Warmunists like to dis Anthony Watts but he is a Meteorologist by training so he would be able to follow the data on stuff like the below:

Major Media FAIL on Reporting the Pacific Northwest Heatwave

The headline in E&E NewsWOWT-TVScientific AmericanWorldNewsNetworkand other media outlets this week, “Unprecedented Heat Wave in Pacific Northwest Driven by Climate Change” couldn’t possibly be more unscientific. With absolutely no analysis, no historical context, and nothing but conjecture, author Anne. C. Mulkern eschewed science for advocacy in her reporting of the brief Pacific Northwest (PNW) heat wave this week.

Yes, the heat wave set all-time high temperature records in Washington, Oregon, and Canada. But consider this: At best, we have about 150 years of reliable weather records for the PNW, so a “black swan” outlier event like this isn’t surprising. It’s happened before, most certainly. We just weren’t around to observe it. After all, Native Americans did not keep written weather records.

High (and low) temperature records are nothing new. But it is important to look at the past, because data show us that more high temperature records were set during the first half of the twentieth century than during the past 50 years. Even the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) confirms this.

More at link:

heat-waves_download3_2021.png
Edited by Infidel Dog

30 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

No. I think one of us needs to learn the difference between climate and weather. There was a heat wave in BC for a few days. Lytton set Canadian weather records for those days in June. 

It isn't climate when there's a heat wave in summer and weather in winter when there's a cold snap - as much as some would like to believe that. 

One of us sure does.  Or take remedial reading.  Whichever.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

This might help you with your Climate vs. Weather confusion regarding the recent heat wave. 

Lytton along with its closely near-bye neighbor of Lillooet held the previous Canadian record for heat before it reset it this year. 

It set the previous record in 1941.

6 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Don't be so hard on yourself.

This might help you with your Climate vs. Weather confusion regarding the recent heat wave. 

Lytton along with its closely near-bye neighbor of Lillooet held the previous Canadian record for heat before it reset it this year. 

It set the previous record in 1941.

Well, there comes a point when your deflection reduces the fun level to "not really worth it any more".  It took a lot less time than the back and forth over the "Big Lie" did. 

Edited by bcsapper

Your accusation of deflection is deflection. 

My point remains. Any suggestion the Lytton fire had anything to do with what some call "climate change," meaning climate armageddon as a result of fossil fuel use is ridiculous.

If you want to pout because you can't show me why I'm wrong about this, off you go then. Go pout in your corner.

Chew on this while you're there. The IPCC is claiming a climate sensitivity of 2 degrees per doubling of CO2. That would be the parameter of what you and yours like to call "climate change."

The recent heat record Lytton set is 8 degrees above what it was when Lytton set the previous record in 1941. Where did the extra 6 degrees come from if it was, as you would like to believe, "climate change?"

Edited by Infidel Dog

7 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Your accusation of deflection is deflection. 

My point remains. Any suggestion the Lytton fire had anything to do with what some call "climate change," meaning climate armageddon as a result of fossil fuel use is ridiculous.

If you want to pout because you can't show me why I'm wrong about this, off you go then. Go pout in your corner.

Chew on this while you're there. The IPCC is claiming a climate sensitivity of 2 degrees per doubling of CO2. That would be the parameter of what you and yours like to call "climate change."

The recent heat record Lytton set is 8 degrees above what it was when Lytton set the previous record in 1941. Where did the extra 6 degrees come from if it was, as you would like to believe, "climate change?"

Of course you're wrong about it.  Like I said, you have to invent an argument you can win against.  You did it with Trump and now you're doing it here.  Human caused climate change is real and it will affect the weather.  It will make extreme weather events more likely and more extreme.  Any suggestion the conditions in which Lytton burns had nothing to do with climate change is ridiculous.  How much, I don't know.  I'm pretty sure you don't either, but only one of us is claiming nothing.  The one with the remedial reading needs.

Your last two paragraphs also illustrate very clearly who doesn't know the difference between climate and weather.  And it ain't me.

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

No natural cycle has ever seen heat increased as quickly as we have in the last 150+/- years.

Bill Nye tell you that?

Bet that claim is harder to support than it was to ape back.

Tell you what. Start by challenging this one:

A precise global temperature record, that can accurately show a one-degree change in 100 years, of the past millennium will probably never be created, the temperature proxies available are simply not that accurate.

What that means is you don't actually know how the rate of current heat rise over 150 years compares to previous rises in global heat. There's no way you could know. They can't measure it with any kind of accuracy.

Edited by Infidel Dog

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Of course you're wrong about it.  Like I said, you have to invent an argument you can win against.  You did it with Trump and now you're doing it here.  Human caused climate change is real and it will affect the weather.  It will make extreme weather events more likely and more extreme.  Any suggestion the conditions in which Lytton burns had nothing to do with climate change is ridiculous.  How much, I don't know.  I'm pretty sure you don't either, but only one of us is claiming nothing.  The one with the remedial reading needs.

Your last two paragraphs also illustrate very clearly who doesn't know the difference between climate and weather.  And it ain't me.

Tell me something 'Mr. So Desperate to get off the subject of the fire in Lytton you're diverting to some problem you think you see concerning ex-President Trump - while accusing others of deflection, I might add' - what does human-caused climate change have to do with the fire in Lytton?

Edited by Infidel Dog

26 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Tell me something 'Mr. So Desperate to get off the subject of the fire in Lytton you're diverting to some problem you think you see concerning ex-President Trump - while accusing others of deflection, I might add' - what does human-caused climate change have to do with the fire in Lytton?

I'm not diverting.  I'm noting an character trait.  You  are wrong on a couple of issues where the right answers are so achingly obvious, you have to pretend the person you are arguing with has opinions you can argue with.  When they don't.

4 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

It is too early down the road to see the effects of global warming yet, to this magnitude.

Science tells us the effects of global warming will become more apparent in the next 100 - 200 years.

I know Greta Thunberg really makes you think the world is coming to an end in 8 years, but it's not.

This is the beginning of changes due to climate change: record high temperatures, record floods, more extreme weather events.

Over the next century, things are going to become more extreme.  Temps of 47+ will become the norm, not a record.

Few people believe the world is coming to an end in 8 years - that is just you attempting to dismiss the evidence in front of you.

Science tells us that events like Lytton or Ft S James will become increasingly common because of climate change.  You don't want to believe it, you are just like the guy dying of Covid in the hospital, and insisting it's something else 

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

This is the beginning of changes due to climate change: record high temperatures, record floods, more extreme weather events.

Over the next century, things are going to become more extreme.  Temps of 47+ will become the norm, not a record.

Few people believe the world is coming to an end in 8 years - that is just you attempting to dismiss the evidence in front of you.

Science tells us that events like Lytton or Ft S James will become increasingly common because of climate change.  You don't want to believe it, you are just like the guy dying of Covid in the hospital, and insisting it's something else 

I believe it. Don't tell people what they believe, you have no clue. Read what I say properly.

Edited by OftenWrong

6 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I'm not diverting.  I'm noting an character trait.  You  are wrong on a couple of issues where the right answers are so achingly obvious, you have to pretend the person you are arguing with has opinions you can argue with.  When they don't.

Really...I'm wondering then. If these "right answers" are so "obvious," why do you need to keep them a secret?

Because I haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Does this Lytton fire have something to do with global warming or doesn't it? Let's start there. I say it has nothing to do with CAGW and that's what should be obvious to anybody with an elementary understanding of the issues involved. Anybody who thinks it does has been watching too much CBC.

Edited by Infidel Dog

6 hours ago, dialamah said:

"Science?"

Again:

High (and low) temperature records are nothing new. But it is important to look at the past, because data show us that more high temperature records were set during the first half of the twentieth century than during the past 50 years. Even the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) confirms this.

heat-waves_download3_2021.png

Edited by Infidel Dog

6 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

Really...I'm wondering then. If these "right answers" are so "obvious," why do you need to keep them a secret?

Because I haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Does this Lytton fire have something to do with global warming or doesn't it? Let's start there. I say it has nothing to do with CAGW and that's what should be obvious to anybody with an elementary understanding of the issues involved. Anybody who thinks it does has been watching too much CBC.

Dear me.  It's no secret.  The rest of the world knows.  As I said before, but you conveniently didn't see, climate change provides the conditions for extreme weather events to be more extreme.  It certainly was a factor in the town being so hot and so dry that it took a very short amount of time to burn.  How it started (the cause), who knows.  I have my hillbilly on a quad theory, but really, that's just because I don't like hillbillies on quads.

I note in your reply to dialamah above you quote the word "Science".  No-one who posted the comments below should ever be allowed to say the word "Science".

14 hours ago, Infidel Dog said:

Anyway, we're entering the realm of the sea lion now.  If you have a post that doesn't just make up an opinion for me that you can argue against, I'll answer.  Otherwise, not.

Buddy, the IPCC is what's supposed to be science. If you're calling what they say an opinion then what are you calling "science?"

The temperature increase in the Lytton heat record was 6 degrees higher than it would have been from CO2 alone. That's just math and data. 

You're conclusion on dryness is opinion. It's been as dry in the past as it was in Lytton when it caught fire this time. The dryness just happened quicker this time. It was raining in BC where I am shortly before the heat wave spurt. Heat waves are weather not climate. Labeling convenient ones climate or attributing them to climate is opinion. If you're calling it science, it's "science."

Why didn't Lillooet burn 35 miles to the south? The last time Lytton set the Canadian heat record Lillooet shared it.

They still have no cause for the fire. They just know it happened inside the city and was not a spark from a forest fire.

Edited by Infidel Dog

4 minutes ago, Infidel Dog said:

Buddy, the IPCC is what's supposed to be science. If you're calling what they say an opinion then what are you calling "science?"

The temperature increase in the Lytton heat record was 6 degrees higher than it would have been from CO2 alone. That's just math and data. 

You're conclusion on dryness is opinion. It's been as dry in the past as it was in Lytton when it caught fire this time. The dryness just happened quicker this time. It was raining in BC where I am shortly before the heat wave spurt. Heat waves are weather not climate. Labeling convenient ones climate or attributing them to climate is opinion. If you're calling it science, it's "science."

Why didn't Lillooet burn 35 miles to the south? The last time Lytton set the Canadian heat record Lillooet shared it.

They still have no cause for the fire. They just know it happened inside the city and was not a spark from a forest fire.

"Not" then.

Although I think the new fad is to call blaming anything that happens on global warming, "rational speculation."

Joe Biden suggested Thursday that it was “rational speculation” to suggest that global warming may have been the cause of the condo to collapse in Miami.

I'm surprised he didn't try to blame it on racism.