Canada's new proposed gun laws.

Army Guy

8 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

My friends in Idaho and Nevada aren't bothered by home invasions or car-jacking . . . . I wonder why.

Probably because it's never happened to them. 

Google home invasions and carjackings for either state, and you'll see neither are immune.  Investigate a little further, and you'll find that Nevada has more violent crime, including robberies and car theft, than New York.  You'll also find out that urban areas and poverty-stricken regions are more prone to violent crime.  

10 minutes ago, cannuck said:

From my time in Wyoming, where EVEYRONE is armed and vigilante justice is constantly there - we simply don't have much in the line of crime going on.  It's not quite as it is portrayed in Yellowstone with bodies flying left and right - but if you were to try to push a criminal wave through the area - it would be.

You are right - Wyoming is one of the safest states in the US.  Per my remarks above, it is also the least populated and has a higher median income than 50% of US States.  

Anyway, research indicates that Stand your ground and similar laws do not reduce crime and may, in fact, result in more injury, death and homicides.  Which kind of makes sense: if law-abiding citizens are willing to use guns, why wouldn't criminals also be willing to use guns?  

Also, I have more direct experience with criminals than you do - and I repeat - consequences for getting caught are generally not high on their list of consideration when engaging in criminal behavior.  I'm pretty sure your buddy would tell you the same thing.  His size and  willingness to use violence may be persuasive to some degree when dealing with these people, but it doesn't make him safe from attack.

10 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Probably because it's never happened to them. 

Google home invasions and carjackings for either state, and you'll see neither are immune.  Investigate a little further, and you'll find that Nevada has more violent crime, including robberies and car theft, than New York.  You'll also find out that urban areas and poverty-stricken regions are more prone to violent crime.  

You are right - Wyoming is one of the safest states in the US.  Per my remarks above, it is also the least populated and has a higher median income than 50% of US States.  

Anyway, research indicates that Stand your ground and similar laws do not reduce crime and may, in fact, result in more injury, death and homicides.  Which kind of makes sense: if law-abiding citizens are willing to use guns, why wouldn't criminals also be willing to use guns?  

Also, I have more direct experience with criminals than you do - and I repeat - consequences for getting caught are generally not high on their list of consideration when engaging in criminal behavior.  I'm pretty sure your buddy would tell you the same thing.  His size and  willingness to use violence may be persuasive to some degree when dealing with these people, but it doesn't make him safe from attack.

My criminal exposure has been from working (one LOOONNNGGGG volunteer stint) inside of a provincial institution, having a son-in-law working inside of a max security (who shares more you your point of view than mine) but mostly a life long friend as I described.   From his experiences (and they are considerable and significant) the vast majority of those who study crime just aren't getting it right.  I understand your position, it's just that I don't agree with it in detail. 

Part of understanding Wyoming is realizing the few problems we DO have come from outside and outsiders - both well and ill intentioned outsiders, but outsiders none-the-less who will never understand WY.  It's not just a matter of criminals also having guns, it is a matter that any criminal stupid enough to bugger around in WY is GOING to pay the price - mostly off the books.  We have unprotected assets all over that wide open place, and any criminal worth his salt (such as the ones who routinely raid properties around Saskatoon to plunder residences, shops, etc. for tools, materials and valuable) could easily rob us blind - but they don't.  They KNOW if they do, there WILL be consequences, they will be severe and nobody is going to be able to protect them.

Edited by cannuck

20 minutes ago, cannuck said:

I understand your position, it's just that I don't agree with it in detail. 

For sure.  :)

21 minutes ago, cannuck said:

We have unprotected assets all over that wide open place, and any criminal worth his salt (such as the ones who routinely raid properties around Saskatoon to plunder residences, shops, etc. for tools, materials and valuable) could easily rob us blind - but they don't.  They KNOW if they do, there WILL be consequences, they will be severe and nobody is going to be able to protect them.

Ok.  I think there are more factors at play than you give credit for, but I'm not going to deny that social and culture components also play a part.  

On 3/19/2021 at 8:18 AM, dialamah said:

Ok.  I think there are more factors at play than you give credit for, but I'm not going to deny that social and culture components also play a part.  

Yes, there are no doubt many more issues at play.  One thing you might notice, though, is that I am not very strong on blindly accepting the status quo of "experts" in any particular field.  While I don't know much about the "soft sciences" I deal daily with lack of expertise of so-called experts - especially when inter-disciplinary issues crop up in engineering, physics and materials.  Our failing as a community is in requiring actual competence, maintained demonstration of same but most of all broader understanding of the underlying science to virtually every profession and discipline.   If our "experts" were all actually experts we would live in a fully sustainable world devoid of disease, pestilence, war, discrimination, etc.    And, we don't.  Says it all.

Edited by cannuck

On 3/19/2021 at 10:44 AM, dialamah said:

Perhaps we could take a peek at that source if you don't mind, In Canada the use of a fire arm to protect you, your family will get you arrested, and a court date for murder. Now your future is held in the hands of a judge and there is no guarantee that he is going to let you off your murder charge  ...  In my opinion you pull a fire arm on anyone  on you should be ready to pull the trigger...

Now Justin has agreed to take a further look at the gun laws because gun violence victims have complained, and cut Justin off of photo ops....

the gun lobby 1000 times larger and it's lobby group get squat.... and expect gun laws to get even worse...once again punishing law ABIDING Canadians , and ignoring criminals

Trudeau hints at openness to gun bill changes after criticism from victims' families (msn.com)

Below is a link to an article about Faisal Hussein, the Danforth shooter. His shooting sprees was touted as a gun control issue instead of an islamic terrorism issue.

https://thenationaltelegraph.com/national/2mye9dp7si9cw0sutyzwibzgbkctcm?fbclid=IwAR1vWDwPnPOvfs4iO3iAGu5qL00lQ2mumxftqLGgX20NKj-fDa8wiKd1A4Q

Our government and media aren't doing their part to keep Canadians safe. Their attack on law-abiding citizens is pathetic.

Edited by WestCanMan
  • Like 3

On 3/19/2021 at 10:44 AM, dialamah said:

And yet here in Canada it is the rural areas that have the most gun violence. how does one explain that.

It results in more deaths because people are more willing to use a firearm to protect themselves. putting themselves on equal ground with the bad guys.

Which kind of makes sense: if law-abiding citizens are willing to use guns, why wouldn't criminals also be willing to use guns?  

This statement makes no sense, currently in Canada the liberals are pushing to disarm law abiding Canadians, and do nothing about criminals that regularly use fire arms anyways... If a law abiding citizen use a firearm to defend themselves or family they are arrest once police arrive and charged with murder or attempted murder... all of his firearms will be taken away... and he faces huge lawyer fees to convince a judge he was defending his family and there was no other option but to use a fire arm. of course that includes any wpn knife, screw driver, hammer, kids toy... I would feel a lot safer if we had laws that protected families instead of criminals, and allow us to have property rights.

They may not care about getting caught, but i will tell you they are going to get very concerned when facing a 12 gauge shotgun in the middle of the night with a person who knows how to use it, and is willing to use it.

It does not take much training to be able to protect yourself, hand to hand combat can be taught in over a few years, and weapons' training a few good lessons and a trained monkey could hit a target in a stressful situation. and while it might not make you safer it atleast puts you on equal ground, with a equal chance of survival. i would rather be judge by 12 than carried by 6.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a perfect example of what happens to a Canadian citizen when he shot armed men who kicked down his door while watching tv with his daughter. In a struggle with the robbers shotgun, not his, but theirs 2 men were killed outright, 2 of the bad guys...in doing so he was charged with murder one, later reduced to manslaughter... He spent 8 months in jail, and 3 years of his life trying to clear his name... 3 years.... mean while the 3 rd guy involved has never been caught, or charged with anything.... And he is one the hook for his defense, how he is going to pay that I'm not sure , they are trying A go fund thing.... 

According to the law of the country regardless of what has happen or the danger strangers are to your family...if you kill any of them your the one going to jail...the Law expects you to phone the police and wait... wait while you pray nothing happens to your family, wait while you wait for them to respond to the country side... it gets better, those same charges are going to apply whether you kill them with any wpn , or use of force... using marshal arts is the same as having a wpn...same goes for any military training, police training self defense class... Not many are going to stand by and watch someone hurt their family, So beware these laws need to be changed... Anyone should have the right to defend his home and his family when threatened...

• 1 month later...