Trudeau is going to crack down on online 'hate'

Argus

I don't like linking to articles people can't read, but this was in the Globe last week.

The federal government is making final revisions to its plans to act against online hate and harassment on social-media platforms in light of the deadly U.S. Capitol Hill riots, and its proposed measures will be presented to cabinet in the coming weeks.

The recent actions of web giants Facebook, Google, Twitter, Apple and Amazon following the riots are prompting worldwide debate about fundamental issues of freedom of speech, the responsibility of platform companies to moderate their sites, and the proper role of government regulation.

If approved by cabinet, the Canadian legislation could be introduced in Parliament as soon as February or March. The legislation is expected to be influenced by measures already in place in other countries, such as Germany, which requires social-media platforms to remove illegal content under tight deadlines and the threat of financial penalties. In a Canadian context, this will likely involve the creation of a new government regulator.

I have to wonder just what they're going to define as 'hate' and require be removed. Given the nature of this woke government and its lack of respect for freedom of speech almost anything could go if they can get it past our liberal courts.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-federal-officials-revising-plan-to-regulate-social-media-in-light-of/

And in a kind of sidebar to that comes this piece by Jonathan Kay in the Post. We keep hearing all about these 'nazi' and 'white supremacist' groups in Canada, but no one ever seems to show them in action. There are supposed to be hundreds of active groups. But the only time I ever see a group attending some kind of demo there's no more than a handful of them. Anyway, all of the reports of hundreds of groups come from one very left wing professor who won't provide the list to anyone. 

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jonathan-kay-if-there-really-are-300-neo-nazi-groups-in-canada-why-cant-anyone-name-them

1 hour ago, Argus said:

We keep hearing all about these 'nazi' and 'white supremacist' groups in Canada, but no one ever seems to show them in action.

Not so much 'Nazi' as crackpot Qanon who-knows-what believers.  There was an encampment in Ottawa who were going to arrest Trudeau, who tried to get to him and who harassed some journalist they thought was in government.  There are hate groups online and they push the marginal among us to attack and we have had several mass killings in that mode.

The devil is in the details, of course.  

12 hours ago, Argus said:

I have to wonder just what they're going to define as 'hate' and require be removed. Given the nature of this woke government and its lack of respect for freedom of speech almost anything could go

I guess we'd better start making nice around here. Your IP address has been recorded, for future reference! :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Not so much 'Nazi' as crackpot Qanon who-knows-what believers.  There was an encampment in Ottawa who were going to arrest Trudeau, who tried to get to him and who harassed some journalist they thought was in government.  There are hate groups online and they push the marginal among us to attack and we have had several mass killings in that mode.

We really need to do something about all these who-knows-what believers!

It's just a big old melting pot. Oh look, there goes another qanon-believing right winger.

• Like 1

This is not a step onto a slippery slope, this is a high dive into the deep end of the freedom of speech pool.  There are already adequate laws in place to investigate, charge and convict people of conspiring to commit various crimes.   Strengthen THOSE laws - especially the organized crime laws as these are GANGS - let's not let the gubmint stick their very unwelcome nose into any other part of our world.  Worse yet: making the dotcom media moguls arbiters of freedoms of expression is right off the chart.

Edited by cannuck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, cannuck said:

especially the organized crime laws as these are GANGS - let's not let the gubmint stick their very unwelcome nose into any other part of our world.  Worse yet: making the dotcom media moguls arbiters of freedoms of expression is right off the chart.

Much too late for that now. The chivattos are running the show, get it? ;)

The calls... are coming from inside the house... inside the house!

14 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

That was, as I recall, one guy. The other dozen or so people in the encampment had all sorts of complaints or were just homeless.

This professor, echoed by the NDP and Liberals, claim there are 300 organized groups, but won't give a list. Colour me suspicious. Any time I see a demo in Canada involving any group which could be even remotely called right wing, including anti-abortion groups they are outnumbered 2-1, 3-1, 5-1 by Antifa and other shrieking left wing groups.

I'm also suspicious of the view these online voices are causing crackpots to attack people in real life. I'm reminded of the Son of Sam who terrorized New York years ago. His dog told him to do it. Then there's the notorious clan of Charles Manson, allegedly driven to kill by - a Beatles song.

It just seems to me these people are crazy to begin with and looking for an excuse. And if they don't find it online they'll find it somewhere else.

Edited by Argus

• 4 weeks later...

I think there is probably a real word to describe this, but I don't know what it is, so I call it "moral infrastructure."

"Moral infrastructure" = "the values, beliefs and behaviors that allow a society to operate in a certain way safely and peacefully".  For instance, if you live in a town where people can safely leave their doors unlocked, you have the moral infrastructure to support the lifestyle choice of not locking your door.

I worry that bad actors are making a ton of money by undermining the moral infrastructure that supports free speech.

On 1/27/2021 at 5:36 PM, Argus said:

And in a kind of sidebar to that comes this piece by Jonathan Kay in the Post. We keep hearing all about these 'nazi' and 'white supremacist' groups in Canada, but no one ever seems to show them in action. There are supposed to be hundreds of active groups. But the only time I ever see a group attending some kind of demo there's no more than a handful of them. Anyway, all of the reports of hundreds of groups come from one very left wing professor who won't provide the list to anyone. 

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/jonathan-kay-if-there-really-are-300-neo-nazi-groups-in-canada-why-cant-anyone-name-them

The Liberals operate exactly like fascists themselves: our media is completely under the heel of Trudeau's band of unmerry fools. Reporters can't get within a mile if Trudeau unless they lick his boots, and the gov't here is always looking at new ways to control the narrative on social media. 

A lot to unpack here:

After all, Nazis don’t announce themselves with names like “League of Right-Wing Canadian Racists” — much in the way Antifa doesn’t call itself “Guys Who Started Off Pretending to Oppose Fascism But Now Just Randomly Wreck Stuff.” Fromm calls one of his groups “The Council of Conservative Citizens.” These names can be very deceptive.

The first part is pretty funny (actually Antifa should be called “Guys Who Started Off Pretending to Oppose Fascism But Now Are Just Fascists Who Wreck Stuff.”) but the second part is a bit worrisome to me.

Whenever I'm on FB and someone sends me an invite to "Turdeau is a Dickhead" or some other cleverly named group, I always just accept and that's the end of it for me. 

I wouldn't join a group called "The council of Conservative Ctizens" but that's just because it sounds like a nerdfest, not because I'd be worried that they'd be a bunch of racists.

I don't see any racist posts come from the groups that I joined, aside from maybe the accusations that Jagmeet Singh is a terrorist/supporter, but those aren't without merit as far as I'm concerned ( https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-the-strange-loyalties-of-jagmeet-singh/ ).

Problem is I never go into the groups after I join them either. I just see what pops up in the main part of FB. I guess I have to be a bit more careful what groups I join. 

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone will talk this so called hate. Maybe instead of shutting people up should try being more open on both sides to openly discuss issues. Shut them up on social media they go with more single sided rage onto the streets. Everyone just wants to sweep issues under the rug like as if they will go away. Ya go away on social media but pop up on street corners. Talk open from all. Offer advice to deal with it. Cant sweep it away with more laws. Ya like the masses really care about more laws. More laws using force and not open discussions to prevent it in the first place. Built up rage and nobody can openly talk without threat of jail or huge fines. Just shut up and all get along or we will shut you up with force.