Defaced Nazi memorial in Canada being investigated as ‘hate crime’

In todays world where statues and memorials are being torn down, because they they represent racism in one form or another, Maybe our Antifa, and BLM should set their sights on these memorials How did these even get approval to be put up, they have stood for 15 years now, . Oh it gets better someone painted them "Nazi war memorials" and now they are looking to charge them with a hate crime.... How did this world get turned upside down... We can't have statues of Canadian PM's because they may have been a wee bit racist, but we can have war memorials for a NAZI SS Division. That did far far worse than John A MacDonald,  And not one but 2,  one in Ontario and one in Edmonton

https://nypost.com/2020/07/18/defaced-nazi-memorial-in-canada-investigated-as-hate-crime/

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2018/08/13/shukhevych-monument-canada-oun-upa/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

In todays world where statues and memorials are being torn down, because they they represent racism in one form or another, Maybe our Antifa, and BLM should set their sights on these memorials How did these even get approval to be put up, they have stood for 15 years now, . Oh it gets better someone painted them "Nazi war memorials" and now they are looking to charge them with a hate crime.... How did this world get turned upside down... We can't have statues of Canadian PM's because they may have been a wee bit racist, but we can have war memorials for a NAZI SS Division. That did far far worse than John A MacDonald,  And not one but 2,  one in Ontario and one in Edmonton

https://nypost.com/2020/07/18/defaced-nazi-memorial-in-canada-investigated-as-hate-crime/

IIRC you're talking about Ukrainian divisions of the SS that signed up to fight against Russia.

In the grand scheme of things those people are on the wrong side of history, but signing up to fight against Russia in the '30s (after the Holdomor) was quite understandable. Hitler made it clear that Russia/Communists were the enemy of Germany and that was music to the ears to the people whose whole families were killed by Stalin. 

Circa 1935 Hitler was vastly more popular than Stalin worldwide.

Tearing those statues down just breeds ignorance of history. History is far too complicated for the average leftist to comprehend. In 99.9% of cases monuments to "Nazis" are definitely bad, but imo those "Nazis" went into the war with 'good' intentions.

1 minute ago, WestCanMan said:

IIRC you're talking about Ukrainian divisions of the SS that signed up to fight against Russia.

In the grand scheme of things those people are on the wrong side of history, but signing up to fight against Russia in the '30s (after the Holdomor) was quite understandable. Hitler made it clear that Russia/Communists were the enemy of Germany and that was music to the ears to the people whose whole families were killed by Stalin. 

Circa 1935 Hitler was vastly more popular than Stalin worldwide.

Tearing those statues down just breeds ignorance of history. History is far too complicated for the average leftist to comprehend. In 99.9% of cases monuments to "Nazis" are definitely bad, but imo those "Nazis" went into the war with 'good' intentions.

NO, in the grand scheme of things these men signed up to be part of an German SS unit, one that has been accused with killing polish women and children and much worse, Allied troops spent a great deal of energy to weed out German regular military troops from the SS troops,  because of the crimes they had committed.. Including the murdering of Canadians troops just after D-Day, i get it a different SS unit.... I'm sure Canadian soldiers for those units  are more than pleased to find out there is 2 memorials set up to honor these SS troops in our nations cities....

I'm not saying mother Russia was innocent of any war crimes, neither is Canada, and we don't have any memorials set up to honor Stalin here in Canada , atleast i hope not........But you don't get a pass because they just killed Russia's, what about the polish women and children they murdered, along with the countless others we have not heard about....These units were brutal by all means, each and everyone of them... 

One has to ask ourselves , 10 years from now would it be ok to set up a memorial for the Taliban in downtown Ottawa, for those that fought just Russians, or just Americans. and then have a Canadian charged with a hate crime for painting it.....As much as i love the left, thats crossing a line.... Besides they have a paragraph recorded in history books for all to read, if anyone is interested, what they don't deserve is a memorial to honor those that served or took part in the crimes they did....    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

NO, in the grand scheme of things these men signed up to be part of an German SS unit, one that has been accused with killing polish women and children and much worse, 

I didn't know that the unit honoured in the memorial had committed war crimes in Poland. I was under the impression that they had fought against Russians. That's not what I heard.

I didn't even know about that memorial until a day or two ago. I'll try and find the original story I was quoting. I don't even remember where I saw it.

We shouldn't have the memorials, obviously, but I'm glad I wasn't a young Eastern European man in WWII. There were no easy choices to make. As pointed out above, Ukrainians died in their millions under Stalin and the SS was fighting the Russian invaders. I certainly don't deny the unique evil of the Nazis but a world war is a complex matter. Even countries in Western Europe like Switzerland, Sweden and Ireland that stayed neutral still get a lot of stick from some predictable quarters of the anglosphere. Finland comes in for less criticism than Ireland even though Finnish forces did invade the Soviet Union alongside the Germans. In fairness, they only took back what they considered to be Finnish territory. I guess the reality of previous Soviet aggression is undeniable with Finland. 

An elderly Hungarian friend told me a story from Budapest at war's end. Her father had heard a crazy rumour that the Americans were about to arrive before the Russians, so he ventured out of the house to greet them. When he returned crestfallen and without his watch, nothing more needed to be said. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
  • Like 1

We can't change history.....but we can learn from it.  

Defacing or removing  any of the statues is simply an exercise of destructive  mob mentality that is far more dangerous than the memories evoked by these long-dead historical figures.

They should slap these vandals with heavy fines and give them some time in prison.  Nip anarchy in the bud!

Edited by betsy

On 7/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, Army Guy said:

..... We can't have statues of Canadian PM's because they may have been a wee bit racist, but we can have war memorials for a NAZI SS Division. That did far far worse than John A MacDonald,  And not one but 2,  one in Ontario and one in Edmonton

Now being investigated as vandalism.   I'm assuming it exists because it's in a 'private cemetery', but still hard to believe that it was actually erected.

Still, it's on a par with tire marks on a rainbow street crossing being investigated as a 'hate crime'...    what isn't 'hate' nowadays.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/graffiti-on-memorial-to-nazi-ss-division-now-being-investigated-as-vandalism