Racism in Canada

On 6/22/2020 at 9:00 AM, Rue said:

So let us summarize:                                                                                                                          1-because the majority of NBA players are black there is no racism                                        2-because Asians are rich their is no racism                                                                              3-because you found a video of a black man expressing  a subjective opinion that you think you agree with racism does not exist.

You once again HAVE reduced your response to engaging in posing  inferences from subjective perceptions as your "rational" basis to proclaim "systemic racism" does not exist. Been there and done that..and of course your posing as a victim of misrepresentation and deflection through the hurling of personal epithets when challenged for doing this.

I again argue your continuing responses provide an excellent example of extremist ideology that leads to discriminatory belief systems including racism-a process whereby you or others project generalized assumptions as to behaviour on an entire group you  choose to target and then use that set of generalized assumptions to accuse that group of lacking credible or desirable qualities.  At this point I also contend your words are so  blatantly discriminatory you fail to grasp that the tactic of posting the subjective opinion of a black man is an example of tokenism and a transparent one at that in this ltst response targets all Asians and blacks which I argue is a continuation of your respones in regards to the Floyd incident and your earlier comments about Chinese immigrants..

I also argue our attempt to deny "systemic racism" is without any basis other than your subjective ones. I would argue psychology and neurology have now more than proven through objective methodology that discriminatory thinking and thought processes are part of every human's cognitive processing. To make sense of a non stop set of stimuli bombarding our brains at any given moment we label and categorize or label  the incoming information into generalized categories to try organize what would otherwise be chaos and fragmented thought. If our minds did not engage in discriminatory cognitive processes we would suffer very much the phenomena of schizophrenics bombarded with info they can't organize. So all of us unless we have a brain disease or illness preventing the organization of stimuli coming in, engage in apophenia the spontaneous perception of connections and meaningfulness of otherwise unrelated phenomena and also pareidolia where we misperceive stimuli coming in as clear and distinct when they may not be. Its who we are. We humans have brains that have a cognitive processing system subject to misperceptions. Our five senses we heavily rely on  are not necessarily accurate. Hopefully when our minds develop, we learn that the more flexible our categories of generalization and the more exceptions to the generalizations we can perceive, the more developed our thought patterns become and the more creative and positive we become. In addition this enables neurotransmission structures in our brain actually grow thick like branches in a tree. Inversely, those of us who do not develop our minds whether its due to congenital deformity, acquired damage, after-effects of diseases, chemical imbalances, experience underdeveloped neurotransmission development characterized by rigid thinking and inflexible stereotypes and generalizations that dominate what we think we see and understand.

Most of us Argus  realize whenever we label someone with  an "ism" or "ist" if we go too extreme in who and when we use such labels we trivialize and/or render the is of such descriptors as meaningless.

Once again Argus you are challenged to complete your accusations. If blacks are the majority of players in the NBA  how does this meanthere is no "systemic racism"? Explain  how one cancels out the other. Explain how if Asians are rich this means there is no "systemic racism".

Let me conclude Argus  by stating if your claim was "systemic racism" is not exclusive to one  group of people there would be no issue.  So let us also  make no mistake when you respond posing as a misunderstood victim denying what you said ... your denial is  not about being consistent and careful with how we make any claims or accusations of systemic racism its about denying it exists.  Let us also be clear. I made sure I stated systemic racism because your tactic otherwise would be to argue you only meant systemic racism, not racism. No Argue no back door to run from what you said this time. All "systemic" means is as an adjective is, "of, relating to or common to system."  You deny racism exists. You deny the experiences of others because you actually believe you can. The very fact you believe you are entitled to negate the subjective experiences of others means what Argus?

I argue it means your comments have become a racist parody in content, expression and intent.

Please let me add a bit  to your list of generalizations because you only mentioned Asians and blacks and I want to use your reasoning process here we go;

1-Jews are rich so they can't experience systemic discrimination                                            2-Ukrainians and Irish in Canada dominate hockey so they don't experience discrimination                                                                                                                                    3-gays are successful artists, businesspersons, politicians, so they don't experience systemic  discrimination                                                                                                                    4-aboriginals don't experience any systemic discrimination under the "Indian" Act                5-no visible minority  or women experiences systemic discrimination.

FFS Rue, get off your high horse.

The "systemic racism" issue is total bullshit, propagated by divisive racists and sycophant morons who are just losers for a whole host of reasons. 

"I can't get a job because of systemic racism".... or maybe it's the tattoos on your face, or your angry/racist persona, your grade eight education in a country where gr 12 is free, etc. 

And just so we're clear, when I say "divisive racists" that includes CNN, Obama and his idiot wife. That stupid bitch is famous for saying things like "I was proud of my country for the second time in my life today", and during the riots she spent all her time justifying the arson, destruction, violence and murder, telling young high school kids to "stay angry" instead of calling for an end to the violence.

FYI the fact that blacks, aboriginals, asians, religious and other minorities have success isn't "proof" that there's no systemic racism, the proof is just that decent people of all stripes just don't experience racism. People who are ugly AF on the inside experience racism. 

Another sad fact for you, most of the bigots in this country aren't "white". 

On 7/4/2020 at 7:14 AM, WestCanMan said:

FYI the fact that blacks, aboriginals, asians, religious and other minorities have success isn't "proof" that there's no systemic racism, the proof is just that decent people of all stripes just don't experience racism.

If decent people didn't experience racism, a seven-year-old would not say "some people don't like me because of my skin color". 

If decent people didn't experience racism, a black man in a suit wouldn't say, at 40+ years "That's the first time I've been called Sir".  

If decent people didn't experience racism, we wouldn't have all the studies that demonstrate identical resumes with just a name change from "white" to "other" received less positive responses from employers.  

If decent people didn't experience racism, the white guy next door to us wouldn't have have had a restraining order prohibiting him from coming within 500 yards of his home due to his ongoing and threatening behavior towards the non-white people in this complex; now would we have been called 'race-traitors' for befriending our neighbors of color.

If decent people didn't experience racism, our new neighbors of color - quiet, sober, hard-working people - wouldn't mention how they appreciate living next door to people who aren't racist.

If decent people didn't experience racism, we wouldn't have regular videos or news reports of white people screaming "go back to where you came from" towards non-white, born in Canada, people. 

If decent people didn't experience racism, we wouldn't have a surge of attacks against Asians because of racist people spreading lies about Covid-19.

People who are ugly AF on the inside experience racism. 

If that were true, you'd understand what racism feels like and you'd know that it exists.

A veteran police officer calmly and coherently refutes and  destroys most of the arguments related to policing and racism in Canada, particularly as related to natives.

But while the need for some police reforms is apparent, the current debate has reached a fevered pitch. Otherwise responsible politicians and public figures have determined that policing as an institution is broken and systematically racist. This is a mischaracterization and it does a disservice to the thousands of dedicated police officers who serve their communities diligently every day. More ominously, it corrodes one of the key institutions that anchor the liberal democratic state. Systemic racism is a malleable concept. As praxis for the social justice movement, its obscurity is its strength because its existence does not have to be supported by specific evidence. In the current environment, systemic racism has become a pseudo-religious concept, an invisible yet malevolent force that torments the oppressed from within society’s institutions. As such, failure to declare sufficient fealty to efforts opposing it provide a ready cudgel with which the mob can denounce anyone who disputes the febrile excesses of social justice activism.

https://quillette.com/2020/06/30/policing-in-the-anomie-era/

7 hours ago, dialamah said:

If decent people didn't experience racism, a seven-year-old would not say "some people don't like me because of my skin color". 

If decent people didn't experience racism, a black man in a suit wouldn't say, at 40+ years "That's the first time I've been called Sir".  

If decent people didn't experience racism, we wouldn't have all the studies that demonstrate identical resumes with just a name change from "white" to "other" received less positive responses from employers.  

If decent people didn't experience racism, the white guy next door to us wouldn't have have had a restraining order prohibiting him from coming within 500 yards of his home due to his ongoing and threatening behavior towards the non-white people in this complex; now would we have been called 'race-traitors' for befriending our neighbors of color.

If decent people didn't experience racism, our new neighbors of color - quiet, sober, hard-working people - wouldn't mention how they appreciate living next door to people who aren't racist.

If decent people didn't experience racism, we wouldn't have regular videos or news reports of white people screaming "go back to where you came from" towards non-white, born in Canada, people. 

If decent people didn't experience racism, we wouldn't have a surge of attacks against Asians because of racist people spreading lies about Covid-19.

Your anecdotes are completely meaningless. Anyone could make up those stories. If you want to get into the game then you need to provide some cites because you're making serious accusations.

Even if it's true and you do have one white neighbour who's racist that's nothing in the grand scheme of things. I know lots of ugly racists who aren't white. We just had a black girl at our house yesterday who's an extreme racist and she doesn't even know it. I know that she's a racist because her half-brother is my son's best friend and I know what kinds of things she's been telling him. When we were downtown about 3 weeks ago we were in a store and when the police stopped in traffic just outside and he gestured at the car like he was pointing a rifle at the cop.

He's 12. He's never had a police incident yet. His mom and dad haven't either, she's actually a legal secretary and her dad is a well-off a-hole who has had several lawsuits against him (white). Do you know why my son's friend hates/fears police? Because of TV. CNN & CTV. And because of racists in his own family. 

There are millions of people in Canada and the US advancing an inaccurate and defamatory portrayal of white people. You're doing it right now. If you want, I can provide cites for that from all over the place. Just look at the AJ+ FB page, the whole thing is an anti-Hindu, Anti-American, anti-white, anti-Israeli screed. In it's entirety, that FB page is complete bigotry & hate-mongering.

If that were true, you'd understand what racism feels like and you'd know that it exists.

It is 100% true, and I haven't been discriminated against personally because nothing that I said was ugly, it's just a truth that you don't like.

FYI Canada is an awesome place. The vast majority of Canadians are awesome people. It's 100% true that we are far less bigoted here than is the average worldwide.

Anyone who works hard in school and has a positive attitude here will succeed, 100%. As a comparison, in most countries in the Middle East, bigotry is normal and the consequences of it are far greater than anything that you're talking about here. Verbal and physical harassment are the norm, jail-time and rape aren't uncommon, and there was a genocide as recently as 2017. 

Gather some worldly and historical knowledge dialamah and take another stab at this. Your opinions, as expressed here, are worthless. I've lived in this country. I know that what you said is entirely bullshit. 

• Like 2

Dialamah's views above generalize and paint people into a race-based identity.  Whites, blacks, hispanics, Indians, and so on, are just individuals who can only be understood by their words and deeds.  Painting any race as a type is the source of our racial tensions today.  We've moved from seeing only colour to attempting a form of colour blindness to a new kind of race-based identification.  It's sold as appreciating differences, but it can play out as accentuating differences over what we have in common.  It's a new search for racial purity, just in the other direction, as some blacks compete to show their blackness and some whites try to prove their alliance with blacks.  In truth most people are just trying to get along with the people around them.

We're seeing kids who didn't think or worry much about race being told that they are black and should be worried about this fact.  We're telling kids of different colours who may get along very well about racial conflict.  While racism does exist, I'm not sure how much this racial awareness campaign reduces or perpetuates racial tension.

It would seem forced and awkward to inject a lot of discussion of race into my conversations with friends of different racial backgrounds, not because I think we should avoid important dialogue that makes us uncomfortable, but because it brings the richness of our friendship to the level simply of race, which is an incomplete characterization of people and that which makes people friends.  Of course I want to prevent racism and protect friends from racism, but constantly reminding everyone of their respective races and colour seems retrograde and even racist.   

Edited by Zeitgeist

12 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

If you want to get into the game then you need to provide some cites 

Why?  I could spend hours finding cites and studies demonstrating that Black people and other non-white people experience racism regularly.  You'd ignore them, claiming they're driven by a liberal/progressive agenda - because you've already made up your mind, based on the least reliable sources you can find.  

12 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

FYI Canada is an awesome place. The vast majority of Canadians are awesome people. It's 100% true that we are far less bigoted here than is the average worldwide.

Yeah, my partner and I were just discussing how awesome Canada is, so we agree.  He and I also agreed that there's no reason not to be even better.  Being great and awesome doesn't mean ignoring problems.  

The anecdote I gave about the 7-year-old black girl was a classmate of mine from around 1965, well before widespread the widespread media - so thats not how she knew the color of her skin made people dislike her.

The man was a customer, in about 1974; his wife, two kids - all well-dressed, quiet, polite.  They were shocked at being offered the same level of respect given to white customers.  Again, it was their life experiences, not media, that resulted in basic courtesy being a shocker.

As a teenager, I was called names for befriending a couple of East Indians.  As an adult, I've defended non-white folks being verbally attacked in public places.

There's plenty of overt and hidden racism in Canada, and too many people who deny that - they're part of the problem, because you can't improve if you don't recognize that improvement is an option. 

And why shouldn't Canada be even more awesome than it currently is.

I think the argument today is not denying there is some overt and hidden racism, it`s whether or not it is systemic. If it is, that should be quickly changed. But there has been a lot of progress over the past decades, and so if there is systemic racism that is widespread and overlooked I would be pretty surprised. The cultural problem is grassroots and cannot be easily eradicated. Nor is cultural racism one-sided.

7 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Dialamah's views above generalize and paint people into a race-based identity.  

In the context of this discussion, which is about racism, it would be odd to not discuss how people are treated based on their race.

We're seeing kids who didn't think or worry much about race being told that they are black and should be worried about this fact.  We're telling kids of different colours who may get along very well about racial conflict.  While racism does exist, I'm not sure how much this racial awareness campaign reduces or perpetuates racial tension.

My experience with racism started in 1965, with a classmate, before "racial awareness" as presented by media today.  It continued in high school, again before "racial awareness".

White people may be unaware of the degree of racism faced by non-white Canadians, but "racial awareness" has been part of non-white Canadians every day life.  You can't blame media for that, you can only blame media for putting a light on it.

It would seem forced and awkward to inject a lot of discussion of race into my conversations with friends of different racial backgrounds

I agree; still, people do sometimes volunteer information if they feel safe and accepted.

Of course I want to prevent racism and protect friends from racism, but constantly reminding everyone of their respective races and colour seems retrograde and even racist.

Most Canadians aren't overtly racist; some are. Most Canadians are unaware of their own racist tendencies (including me); most non-white people recognize the honest intent of Canadians; some are radical in their criticism.  Still, we could all do better at recognizing the issue, including understanding what systemic racism is, and how a dominant culture provides privilege to its members.  Recognizing these things doesn't equate to calling all whites racists and all non-white people victims: thats a radical position that shuts down discussion and doesn't solve the problem, the same as denying that there is a problem at all.

There is a middle ground that can give Canada and Canadians credit for the acceptance and tolerance we already show, while still seeing how we can improve.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Why?  I could spend hours finding cites and studies demonstrating that Black people and other non-white people experience racism regularly.  You'd ignore them, claiming they're driven by a liberal/progressive agenda - because you've already made up your mind, based on the least reliable sources you can find.  

Yeah, my partner and I were just discussing how awesome Canada is, so we agree.  He and I also agreed that there's no reason not to be even better.  Being great and awesome doesn't mean ignoring problems.  

The anecdote I gave about the 7-year-old black girl was a classmate of mine from around 1965, well before widespread the widespread media - so thats not how she knew the color of her skin made people dislike her.

The man was a customer, in about 1974; his wife, two kids - all well-dressed, quiet, polite.  They were shocked at being offered the same level of respect given to white customers.  Again, it was their life experiences, not media, that resulted in basic courtesy being a shocker.

As a teenager, I was called names for befriending a couple of East Indians.  As an adult, I've defended non-white folks being verbally attacked in public places.

There's plenty of overt and hidden racism in Canada, and too many people who deny that - they're part of the problem, because you can't improve if you don't recognize that improvement is an option. 

And why shouldn't Canada be even more awesome than it currently is.

So you had to cite examples going back over 55 years through all of your life experiences across this whole country and you've got a couple of lukewarm anecdotes? That's your great reason for characterizing this country as systemically racist? You have a huge problem dialamah, you definitely shouldn't be pointing the finger at other people. 

I have 100 examples of BLM and Dem politicians and DAs our own PM Trudeau being more racist than that in the last month FFS. You're way the F out in left field right now. 

READ THIS PART AGAIN...... YOU CLEARLY HAVE NO PERSPECTIVE AT ALL:

Gather some worldly and historical knowledge dialamah and take another stab at this. Your opinions, as expressed here, are worthless. I've lived in this country. I know that what you said is entirely bullshit. 

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

I think the argument today is not denying there is some overt and hidden racism, it`s whether or not it is systemic. If it is, that should be quickly changed. But there has been a lot of progress over the past decades, and so if there is systemic racism that is widespread and overlooked I would be pretty surprised. The cultural problem is grassroots and cannot be easily eradicated. Nor is cultural racism one-sided.

The constitution and the laws of this place have been set up (by old white men) to destroy racism in all it's hurtful forms. The spirit of the day for as long as I can remember has been to eliminate racism in all it's forms. 

You can't stop some people from being their own way no matter how hard you try, but you should never let dialamah's form of racism to flourish either. And make no mistake, dialamah's screed is racism, plain and simple. 

30 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

So you had to cite examples going back over 55 years through all of your life experiences across this whole country and you've got a couple of lukewarm anecdotes?

Well I have more, but neither my anecdotes nor scientific studies have any chance of persuading you.   You prefer the warm fuzzies of alt-right sources to reassure yourself of your white victimhood and the agenda of liberals/progressives against Canada.  It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

7 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Well I have more, but neither my anecdotes nor scientific studies have any chance of persuading you.   You prefer the warm fuzzies of alt-right sources to reassure yourself of your white victimhood and the agenda of liberals/progressives against Canada.  It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic.

Pretending that racism in Canada is a significant issue is as disgusting as it gets, and ignores the vast progress that society has made.  All you’re doing is sowing division and victimization for political purposes.  Disgusting as it gets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Your fear-mongering, racist screed isn't cute dialamah. 

You're making very serious accusations based on the flimsiest, most trivial anecdotal 'evidence' ever presented and you want to be taken seriously. When challenged you make more serious and unsubstantiated allegations and insults. 

Sorry but this is a grown-up forum that's all bogged down by radical ideas like the importance of facts, cites, and even common sense. Your leftist conspiracy theories don't just fly here, unsupported. The fact is that your complete lack of historical and worldly knowledge are too flimsy a foundation for any type of solid argument to be formed on. 

What you're saying isn't funny at all, and it's worse than pathetic. 

40 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Sorry but this is a grown-up forum that's all bogged down by radical ideas like the importance of facts,

You reject facts, as has been noted by other posters.  

Here's some cites for you to reject because facts about systemic racism don't match your notions.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/crime/albertas-top-rcmp-officer-admits-systemic-racism-exists-as-lawyers-group-calls-for-his-resignation

ER betting on indigenuous people's blood alcohol level

Alberta civil liberties assoc - systemic racism

Emily Carr University - Canada's systemic racism

Systemic racism in employment in Canada: Diagnosing systemic racism in organizational culture

A whole bunch of studies on systemic racism in Canada.

Have fun rejecting this evidence; please do continue hurling accusations instead of responding to what I say.   :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shady said:

Pretending that racism in Canada is a significant issue is as disgusting as it gets, and ignores the vast progress that society has made.  All you’re doing is sowing division and victimization for political purposes.  Disgusting as it gets.

Funny you should say that, given my post earlier today:

Most Canadians aren't overtly racist; some are. Most Canadians are unaware of their own racist tendencies (including me); most non-white people recognize the honest intent of Canadians; some are radical in their criticism.  Still, we could all do better at recognizing the issue, including understanding what systemic racism is, and how a dominant culture provides privilege to its members.  Recognizing these things doesn't equate to calling all whites racists and all non-white people victims: thats a radical position that shuts down discussion and doesn't solve the problem, the same as denying that there is a problem at all.

There is a middle ground that can give Canada and Canadians credit for the acceptance and tolerance we already show, while still seeing how we can improve.

But I suppose expecting the alt-right to even admit there is a middle ground, let alone discuss how we could be an even better country and society, is silly.  After all, how could they be victims of progressives if they allowed anything less than absolutes in any discussion?  

There's no 'evidence' there.

You have a link back to this thread, two Google searches, a stupid accusation that because people in an ER might be betting on the BA level of some natives they don't do it to people of other races, an essay, and none of that constitutes 'proof'. 

If you had to bet your life on one thing there that actually cites/proves systemic racism which one would it be dialamah? This is all baby-soft, maybe it happened bullshit.

I can cite places where white people have been characterized as the world's only slave-owners. Barack Obama famously mentioned slave ownership as a source of division in America. FYI Black Americans owned slaves. The slaves were bought from black slave traders. Obama cited Jim Crowe laws - those weren't made by "Americans" - just his own "Democrat" half. People are pulling down statues of people who had at any point in their lives owned slaves and our own news stations let Sadiq Khan preach to us about that as well because "we all have to stop venerating slave owners". At what point did Sadiq ever renounce mohammed? Honestly, for "white people" to get lectured on slavery by middle-easterners is like Venezuelans getting chastised for their anti-Semitism by Nazis. 

I don't really give a shit about your idiotic conspiracy theories dialamah. You need to come up with actual instances and not just opinion pieces and Google searches. 

1 minute ago, WestCanMan said:

There's no 'evidence' there.

There's probably 30 links you could have looked at, but you threw them all out because you know they present evidence of systemic racism in Canada.  Why do you demand evidence that you're just going to ignore?  Doesn't that strike you as kinda weird?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I can cite places where white people have been characterized as the world's only slave-owners

That's a radical position and clearly wrong; as radical and wrong as claiming systemic racism is a non-existent problem in Canada.

There's probably 30 links you could have looked at, but you threw them all out because you know they present evidence of systemic racism in Canada.  Why do you demand evidence that you're just going to ignore?  Doesn't that strike you as kinda weird?

I'm not sifting trough google links. you do it. you're the one making the unsubstantiated alegation. i clicked all your other links and it was just idiocy.

That's a radical position and clearly wrong; as radical and wrong as claiming systemic racism is a non-existent problem in Canada.

Not exactly. The 'conversation' whites being the only slavers in history is broadcast by MSM and the last US President talked about slavery from that POV. You're pointing to a bogeyman that either doesn't exist, or might just exist at a low level in a few places.

I can point out where companies like Google and universities have anti-white and anti-asian admission policies. The presumptive nominee of the Democrat party has announced that he's limiting his choice of candidates to 'women of colour'.  That's more blatant discrimination. There are black-only colleges in the states. Are there white-only colleges?

You're trying super-hard to make something that's basically non-existent into the biggest cause of the day, and it's more of an accusation than a cause.. It's pathetic. 

So the mere hint that a middle ground is attainable, rather than divisive and radical rhetoric is "sermonizing"?  

The middle ground is "stop acting like white men are the scourge of the planet because that's entirely racist". 

All the races and sexes have been here for a long time. Did asian women abolish slavery? Did African men lead the charge? Was it just middle easterners in general? North American aboriginals? South Americans.

Nope.

White. Men. Did. That. If you think I'm gonna be caught 'holding the bag' for something that I am less guilty of than everyone else go to hell. That's not the middle ground. 

3 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

The middle ground is "stop acting like white men are the scourge of the planet 

Thats the position you are arguing against, but it's not the position I'm taking.  When I stated my position, you called it sermonizing.