Internet freedom

Cannucklehead

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.axios.com/internet-freedom-united-states-world-freedom-house-756dca0b-e2a9-4baf-a779-57d4fa48654e.html

So it appears that internet freedom is declining in the u.s.:

Rising levels of political disinformation and government surveillance are making the internet less free in the U.S., according to a new report by Freedom House, a democracy and human rights research group.

It makes you wonder about what sources you can trust.  

Internet freedom is in decline around the world, according to the report, as governments increasingly use social media to monitor their citizens and spread disinformation at home and overseas.

Are there any members here that are in the orange or purple zones?  I am curious to hear your thoughts on this subject.  

20 hours ago, Cannucklehead said:

Internet freedom is in decline around the world, according to the report, as governments increasingly use social media to monitor their citizens and spread disinformation at home and overseas.

I think the real culprit behind this problem has been exposed right there- governments using the internet to spread disinformation. If anything should be restricted from using the internet, it should be governments.

Edited by OftenWrong
added emphasis on governments, to be clear

On 11/10/2019 at 5:56 PM, Cannucklehead said:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.axios.com/internet-freedom-united-states-world-freedom-house-756dca0b-e2a9-4baf-a779-57d4fa48654e.html

Are there any members here that are in the orange or purple zones?  I am curious to hear your thoughts on this subject.  

The only reason internet freedom and eventually freedom itself declines is because public oversight of the government goes into decline. Besides which the internet offers humanity the best opportunity it's ever had to souveil our governments.

I'd outlaw in-camera lobbying before resorting to making governments go back to the days when interdepartmental messages were sent by pneumatic tube and we had to rely on politicians mouthing magic-words to a sky-being to keep them on the straight and narrow.  

As for trust ultimately all anyone can rely on is themselves - try flushing the old bullshit filter out a little more often.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:56 PM, Cannucklehead said:

You are complaining about internet freedom is declining in the US. Read about how dictatorial regimes completely shut down internet to deprive their nations of freedom of expression in the slightest manner.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/18/middleeast/iran-protests-explained-intl/index.html

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 7:00 PM, eyeball said:

I'd outlaw in-camera lobbying before resorting to making governments go back to the days when interdepartmental messages were sent by pneumatic tube and we had to rely on politicians mouthing magic-words to a sky-being to keep them on the straight and narrow.  

Let's make it easy: only individuals can donate to political parties, and corporations are not allowed to set up fake account... Block IP addresses for countries that allow espionage accounts to be created.

19 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

You are complaining about internet freedom is declining in the US. Read about how dictatorial regimes completely shut down internet to deprive their nations of freedom of expression in the slightest manner.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/18/middleeast/iran-protests-explained-intl/index.html

That's great, when the u.s. becomes Iran 2.0 they can try to claim asylum in Canada.  Leave the guns behind though.  

Just wanted to add that it has happened in the past.

People from the U.S. have been seeking asylum in Canada since at least the 18th century.

Fearing mistreatment in the newly established United States, and drawn by offers of free land, as many as 100,000 British Loyalists fled to what is now Canada during and after the American Revolution.

Many enslaved people seeking liberty via the Underground Railroad, prior to the Civil War, headed to Canada. Around 20,000 to 40,000 made lives for themselves there.

In the 1960s and 1970s, some 100,000 young U.S. men, many with wives and children, came to Canada during the Vietnam War to avoid being drafted into military service – or in some cases after deserting. Canada enacted a law that let these “draft dodgers” immigrate with lawful status. Even though President Jimmy Carterissued a blanket pardon for them when he took office, about half remained in Canada.

Edited by Cannucklehead

9 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Just wanted to add that it has happened in the past.

Sure has....far more people have fled from Canada to the United States.

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/canadian-immigrants-united-states

Edited by bush_cheney2004

30 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Lol "fled" 

Canada's "internet" is very dependent on the United States' backbone, resulting in boomerang access that crosses the border many times:

...much of Canadian internet communication passes through the United States. Once across the border, Canadians’ data loses the legal and constitutional protections it enjoys when in Canada, without gaining the rights offered to US citizens (Austin and Carens-Nedelsky 2015). A significant proportion of even domestic Canadian web traffic travels through the United States.2 This is referred to as boomerang routing — i.e., someone in Canada accessing a website physically located in Canada will often have their data routed via the United States...

...To summarize, the current heavy reliance of Canadian internet routing on US digital infrastructure, for both domestic and international communications, puts personal and corporate data at risk while impairing the efficiency and quality of Canadian internet services. This one-sided dependence on the United States for a major part of critical national infrastructure also weakens bilateral bargaining power.

https://www.cigionline.org/articles/canadian-network-sovereignty

Edited by bush_cheney2004

7 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Ohhhhh shut down Verizon and at&t and we'll be in the stone ages!  I dont even know anyone that use any american ISP's. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_internet_service_providers_in_Canada

Canadians use all manner of American digital service providers, access points, and data warehouses...many without ever realizing it.

Bell and Telus purposely use American providers to keep their monopolies in Canada.

Tell us about "internet freedom" again....."LOL".

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canadians use all manner of American digital service providers, access points, and data warehouses...many without ever realizing it.

Bell and Telus purposely use American providers to keep their monopolies in Canada.

Tell us about "internet freedom" again....."LOL".

If you say so.  :rolleyes: 

1 minute ago, Cannucklehead said:

So?  Canada has Canadian streaming services as well.  The selection is just as bad as netflixs' btw.  

You still don't get it....Canada does not have its own "internet"...depends on America.   The Google links you like to post....American infrastructure.

Nearly 70 per cent of respondents agreed that Canada relies too heavily on U.S. internet infrastructure. This is in line with research CIRA conducted in March 2018 where nearly 70 per cent of Canadians expressed concern about the security and privacy of their personal information and data on the internet if stored in or routed through the U.S.

...Canada does not have its own internet. We have pipelines for data to be able to connect people but we don’t have a Google to search. We don’t have mail systems for mail. We don’t have YouTube for videos. We don’t have any infrastructure in Canada in terms of what is understood by the general public to be the ‘internet’. It would be great if there was more development put into our own internet in Canada so that we don’t have to rely on the U.S., the U.K. or all these other countries in the world that have their own internet technologies, says Jeff Klause, CEO of Voyageur Internet in Manitoba.

https://cira.ca/resources/state-internet/report/gap-between-us-perspectives-building-a-better-online-canada

2 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Google is merely a phone book for the internet.  We use it to find things, that's it.  

...and Canada doesn't have one.    Doesn't have lots of backbone infrastructure, content, and access points.

Canada's government(s) struggle to provide even basic access to current and archived data, even when it exists.

So tell us again about "internet freedom", or do I have to continue pointing out the obvious ?  

Multiple providers, including Bell Canada and Rogers Communications in Eastern Canada, Telus Internet in BC and Alberta, and SaskTel in Saskatchewan have made investments into upgrading their infrastructure to provide last mile fibreoptic connectivity, or fibre to the home (FTTH).[9][10][11] In December 2016, local company MNSi Telecom announced a $35 million fibre build in Windsor, Ontario.[12]

In July 2015, the CRTC ruled that major telecoms providing fibre to the home must allow smaller providers to purchase wholesale access to their networks. Bell Canada attempted to oppose the ruling, but failed.[13]

https://homer.ca

So tell me again about how much you know about my country, foreigner.  

Problem with Canada and the internet is we did not jump in to invent any of it like the u.k. or the french, which were paid to do so by the u.s.  

Just now, Cannucklehead said:

So tell me again about how much you know about my country, foreigner.  

Problem with Canada and the internet is we did not jump in to invent any of it like the u.k. or the french, which were paid to do so by the u.s.  

I know a lot...because my country has the digital infrastructure that you depend on to tell me so.

You can offer all the excuses you want, but the next time you want to post about "internet freedom", you might want to look into the digital mirror.

The fact remains that Canada depends on the United States for internet infrastructure, search engines, content, and database layer.

Sorry....I know it sucks for you to learn that.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I know a lot...because my country has the digital infrastructure that you depend on to tell me so.

You can offer all the excuses you want, but the next time you want to post about "internet freedom", you might want to look into the digital mirror.

The fact remains that Canada depends on the United States for internet infrastructure, search engines, content, and database layer.

Sorry....I know it sucks for you to learn that.

Lol if you think that, then that is your opinion, which you are entitled to. Fact remains that internet freedom in the u.s. is declining.  Maybe some of the gun nuts can leverage them?  :lol:

Also, you should stop using the word infrastructure, you clearly dont know what that is.  

Lol if you think that, then that is your opinion, which you are entitled to. Fact remains that internet freedom in the u.s. is declining.  Maybe some of the gun nuts can leverage them?  :lol:

Also, you should stop using the word infrastructure, you clearly dont know what that is.  

LOL...Lulz...LOL :P 

Has nothing to do with my opinion....Canada is very dependent on American digital infrastructure, which means that Canadian data and privacy are easy pickings for U.S. government and corporate interests.    So tell me again about the "internet freedom" thing....

Canada's state controlled broadcaster links to American social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) because that's what Canadians use.

LOL...Lulz...LOL  :P

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

LOL...Lulz...LOL :P 

Has nothing to do with my opinion....Canada is very dependent on American digital infrastructure, which means that Canadian data and privacy are easy pickings for U.S. government and corporate interests.    So tell me again about the "internet freedom" thing....

Canada's state controlled broadcaster links to American social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc.) because that's what Canadians use.

LOL...Lulz...LOL  :P

Oh wow so they can see what I posted on facebook!  Omg my banking info is on there!

Lol have Zuckerberg apologize to the world again.  

The website quickly caused outrage and was permanently taken down. A then-19-year-old Zuckerberg said:

"Issues about violating people's privacy don't seem to be surmountable. The primary concern is hurting people's feelings. I'm not willing to risk insulting anyone."

In an apology letter, he wrote, "I hope you understand, this is not how I meant for things to go, and I apologize for any harm done as a result of my neglect to consider how quickly the site would spread and its consequences thereafter...I definitely see how my intentions could be seen in the wrong light."

Typical american.  Should make him your next president.  

Typical american.  Should make him your next president.  

Typical canadian...worried so much about what is happening in the USA because they depend so much on American infrastructure and platforms.

No wonder canada lags so far behind other nations.