I don't like Trudeau, but I have to admit...

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Can't take this seriously when JT and his virtue signaling ministers refused to stop exporting APC's to the Saudis in order to protect jobs in London, Ontario.   Plus the SNC-Lavalin fiasco.   

Trump is not any more unusual than Bush, Reagan, Nixon, Eisenhower, Kennedy, etc. when it comes to foreign policy and putting the squeeze on so called allies.  And yes, American (not Canadian) interests sometimes require partnering with Russia and China.  

Even if what you claim is true (please provide evidence), it still speaks volumes about the weakness of Canada's PMO in general, and Trudeau specifically.   Why should Trump back up Trudeau, who espouses globalist policies and an agenda that does not support Trump ?

Too bad...Trump is absolutely correct that the U.S. is now far less tolerant of the relative free ride that such allies have taken, especially Canada.   Obama scolded the same NATO "allies", just like Trump.    Obviously Canada is/was not prepared to weather the Trump storm, despite early warning signs that it would not be business as usual, and the biggest vulnerability such an over dependence on the United States to begin with.

The U.S. does not exist to fill "gaps" that NATO deadbeats like Canada refuse to fill.

If Canada doesn't learn from this experience, than it will happen again, regardless of Trudeau.

NO, you’re not getting a pass on US belligerence under Trump, an asshole.  From the attempted Muslim ban to kids in cages to steel and aluminum tariffs on and general mistreatment of allies, Trump is a big fail, and I’m no leftist.  

Canada accepted 60000 Syrian refugees and tens of thousands more when the US attempted to slam the doors as vulnerable people fled parts of the world where failed US foreign policy reaped havoc.  Canada isn’t innocent in this and has benefited from the alliance with the US, however, Canada has also paid a big price in non-military ways for these troubles abroad.  The Wuawei affair is another example of how Canada is paying for this glorious friendship.  Trump’s scrapping of the Iran nuclear deal and sucking up to the Saudis and Putin have lowered US stature internationally, as has the tariffs war.  I’ll give Trump points for being unapologetic for standing up for the US on trade deficits, but his means are communist, skewing natural market forces with taxes on foreign goods (tariffs) and subsidies to farmers.  Where is the great innovation and work ethic that has driven growth in the past?   Trump has borrowed money to prime the pump of economic growth through tax cuts.  I respect his wish to grow the pie for all, but it’s a false economy based on borrowing, consumption, and pretending that climate change doesn’t exist, so Americans can continue to live unsustainably.  That isn’t a recipe for future economic health.  Canada has its own issues, trying to grow the oil sands and meet Paris Accord targets.  The gestures may be weak but they’re moving in the right direction.  

Worry about the US cleaning up its act.  Canadians will try to elect competent people who can maintain Canadian values in a pretty amoral context, set by your heroic leader of the free world. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

NO, you’re not getting a pass on US belligerence under Trump, an asshole.  From the attempted Muslim ban to kids in cages to steel and aluminum tariffs on and general mistreatment of allies, Trump is a big fail, and I’m no leftist. 

OK....and you are not getting a pass for your "asshole"...Justin Trudeau.   Trump is doing exactly what he said he would do, which is more than can be said about Trudeau.

The facility and cages were built by the Obama Administration...nice try.

Canada has its own issues, trying to grow the oil sands and meet Paris Accord targets.  The gestures may be weak but they’re moving in the right direction. 

That's right...Canada has many of its own issues...add "genocide" to the list.   Smug attitudes will only get Trudeau (and Canada) so far, then realities like Trump rise up to bite them in the ass.   Trump will be gone sooner or later, but Canada will still be the same, hoping and praying for a benevolent America.

Worry about the US cleaning up its act.  Canadians will try to elect competent people who can maintain Canadian values in a pretty amoral context, set by your heroic leader of the free world. 

I don't want the U.S. to clean up anything, and I sure as hell don't need Canadian politics to save the day.   Trudeau is your problem, not mine.

40 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

OK....and you are not getting a pass for your "asshole"...Justin Trudeau.   Trump is doing exactly what he said he would do, which is more than can be said about Trudeau.

The facility and cages were built by the Obama Administration...nice try.

That's right...Canada has many of its own issues...add "genocide" to the list.   Smug attitudes will only get Trudeau (and Canada) so far, then realities like Trump rise up to bite them in the ass.   Trump will be gone sooner or later, but Canada will still be the same, hoping and praying for a benevolent America.

I don't want the U.S. to clean up anything, and I sure as hell don't need Canadian politics to save the day.   Trudeau is your problem, not mine.

Then why weigh in on Canada’s affairs?  You’re free to criticize and so am I.  I still maintain that the world has more to worry about from Trump than JT, and I don’t like JT.

Canada does have to be far more self-reliant and expand trade beyond North America.  Russia and China are also problems.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

36 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Then why weigh in on Canada’s affairs?  You’re free to criticize and so am I.  I still maintain that the world has more to worry about from Trump than JT, and I don’t like JT.

Canada does have to be far more self-reliant and expand trade beyond North America.  Russia and China are also problems.  

Precisely because you and other Canadians choose to "weigh in" on American affairs.   Turnabout is fair play....can't always rely on the Americans ignoring Canada as in the past.  Trudeau and Freeland want the Americans to do more while Canada does less....their U.S. as "indispensable nation" rhetoric is expensive,  writing checks they don't have to cash.

With Trudeau....Russia, China, India, KSA, and the United States are "problems".   Ergo, Trudeau is also a "problem".

Maybe hire a PM and government that can handle the job next time....but that's Canada's decision...not mine.

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

So ... Scheer who was an insurance man before coming to Parliament at 25 is better??

At least Trudeau worked in a bar...

Ahhhhh . . . . the typical deflection. Expected and predictable.

Can anyone relate to the fool in Ottawa?  Again, October 21st can't come fast enough. 

Do your duty and vote !

4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Can't take this seriously when JT and his virtue signaling ministers refused to stop exporting APC's to the Saudis in order to protect jobs in London, Ontario.   Plus the SNC-Lavalin fiasco.  

What is funny is that you are trolling for those who like Trudeau. Found any yet?

Let me know when Carrot Top is ready for another war.

5 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Ahhhhh . . . . the typical deflection.  

Deflection ?  Ok - fair enough.  Trudeau's only experience prior to PM was as a teacher, bartender etc.  And now he has been PM.

Scheer was Willy Loman, then went to parliament hill at 25.

He's even behind Trudeau in the polls again.  I like that because a Trudeau minority will hopefully bring a stronger Conservative Candidate for the next election.  NDP also.  I'd like someone who has experience in business transformation.

10 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I think he's unqualified but your assessment is not right.  He is interested in solving these problems but not equipped.

There is no distinct difference between he is incompetent and incapable of solving the problems or he only wants to score some political points. Looking at the pipline project, I believe it is the latter.

10 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

OK, but it still does not speak well for Trudeau, as an American president would have little to do with his domestic failings.   And remember, it was Obama who canceled Keystone XL.

Trump did not make Trudeau act a fool in India, or inflame relations with the Saudis.  

I know it is a fine line to balance, but any Canadian PM (and ministers) who whines about the American president's policies is not prepared to lead like many PMs of the past.   Trump is not responsible for Canada...that is Trudeau's job.   "But For Trump" is not a winning campaign slogan.

I know. Then, does JT understand what are the PM's jobs? I believe he thinks it is only kissing babies and shaking hands. Hey, he asked Trump for help. C'mon, did he know Meng Wanzhou is in Van? :rolleyes: