Prime Minister Wilson-Raybould

Prime Minister Wilson-Raybould?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yeah Trump is famous like Al Capone.  Trudeau still wins the shirtless selfie contest with the kinds of “feminists” who would throw their bras at Tom Jones.  

This scandal has nothing to do with Trump.  

Your corrupt government is your business....enjoy !

Just now, Zeitgeist said:

Enjoy your scandals too. Don’t forget to send a thank you card to Vlad. 

No problem...now back to the exciting "emergency debate" in the HoC.   

The Liberals are so desperate they are talking about using AG protocols from the UK after rejecting such ideas in the past.

Obstruction !    Obstruction !   OBSTRUCTION !!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

No problem...now back to the exciting "emergency debate" in the HoC.   

The Liberals are so desperate they are talking about using AG protocols from the UK after rejecting such ideas in the past.

Obstruction !    Obstruction !   OBSTRUCTION !!!!!!!!

So would the Trump admin prefer to deal with JWR or Trudeau?  

Edited by Zeitgeist

Globe & Mail is pouring gasoline on this dumpster fire....

I’m ashamed for my country

"Justin Trudeau may be more corrupt than Donald Trump,” tweeted New York Times columnist Bret Stephens, who may have a point. No nation where the political class interferes with the administration of justice can claim the moral high ground. I’m embarrassed that Canada, the land renowned for the cleanliness of its government, appears to be just as grubby as everybody else. Its smart young leader, who positioned our nation as a moral beacon unto the world, looks to be just another cynical old pol – and not a very bright one.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-im-ashamed-for-my-country/

Edited by bush_cheney2004

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

As expected, now the anti-Quebec card is being thrown out there as well.

Poor SNC-Lavalin...poor Quebec workers...jobs are more important than the law !

DPA’s are within the framework of the law. Why did Wilson-Raybould oppose them?  She hasn’t said, though she had plenty to say about how her boss pressured her to consider DPA’s.  Poor baby.  Sure threw JT under the bus.  Far as I’m concerned it’s dirty pool from both sides.  Where does that leave the thousands of SNC workers? I don’t think Wilson-Raybould’s ideological bias against DPA’s is more important than these workers.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

DPA’s are within the framework of the law. Why did Wilson-Raybould oppose them?  She hasn’t said, though she had plenty to say about how her boss pressured her to consider DPA’s.  Poor baby.  Sure threw JT under the bus.  Far as I’m concerned it’s dirty pool from both sides.  Where does that leave the thousands of SNC workers? I don’t think Wilson-Raybould’s ideological bias against DPA’s is more important than these workers.  

JWR's motivations aside, DPAs are not a guaranteed resolution to corporate crimes, otherwise they would continue to offend with impunity...just pay the fine as a business expense.   If the prosecution does not have leeway and cognizance over the process, why bother ?

8 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

As expected, now the anti-Quebec card is being thrown out there as well.

Poor SNC-Lavalin...poor Quebec workers...jobs are more important than the law !

You know.  I was thinking, if you exclude Canadian Americans, and people who have a business or academic interest... you must be the American private citizen who knows the most about Canada.  What a heavy yoke to bear.  :D

Do you watch CFL ?

----

To reiterate the topic: ratting on a mafia don, or corrupt Liberal, is honourable but doesn't lead you to greater things.  Nobody wants to keep these people around.

10 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

DPA’s are within the framework of the law. Why did Wilson-Raybould oppose them?  

I don’t think Wilson-Raybould’s ideological bias against DPA’s is more important than these workers.  

DPA may be within said framework, but it is her responsibility and ONLY her responsibility and authority as Minister of Justice to apply the laws of the land based on the evidence available to her.  That job MUST be above partisan politics of any kind, and I applaud her for doing so.

You may find her ideology is "biased", and I guess I have to agree.  Who could imagine a Minister of Justice that thinks criminals should  be prosecuted for their crimes?   EVERYONE in the construction, engineering and energy businesses knows how corrupt SNC is now and always has been.  When you chose of your own free will to work for the Mafia or any other well known criminal organization, you expect the law to be ignored because you made such a poor choice?   

1 hour ago, cannuck said:

DPA may be within said framework, but it is her responsibility and ONLY her responsibility and authority as Minister of Justice to apply the laws of the land based on the evidence available to her.  That job MUST be above partisan politics of any kind, and I applaud her for doing so.

You may find her ideology is "biased", and I guess I have to agree.  Who could imagine a Minister of Justice that thinks criminals should  be prosecuted for their crimes?   EVERYONE in the construction, engineering and energy businesses knows how corrupt SNC is now and always has been.  When you chose of your own free will to work for the Mafia or any other well known criminal organization, you expect the law to be ignored because you made such a poor choice?   

No, she has choices available to her for how she deals with the country’s largest engineering firms.  It doesn’t matter.  Don’t build any pipelines, shut down SNC, and bring into law bill C-69 to add more court challenges and red tape to resource development.  Hopefully you’re retired and sitting on big savings as young people are shit out of luck for opportunities.  

https://business.financialpost.com/news/economy/weaker-gdp-than-anyone-expected-shows-canadian-growth-stalling

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

You know.  I was thinking, if you exclude Canadian Americans, and people who have a business or academic interest... you must be the American private citizen who knows the most about Canada.  What a heavy yoke to bear.  :D

I doubt that....just slightly more informed.   If Canadians have to bear so much news about the very wicked Donald Trump, the least I can do is bear the stench of Justin Trudeau.

Do you watch CFL ?

No, but Johnny Manziel might keep watching.

To reiterate the topic: ratting on a mafia don, or corrupt Liberal, is honourable but doesn't lead you to greater things.  Nobody wants to keep these people around.

Fair enough, but I suspect that JWR is not done yet.   How do some say in Canada ?    Time to make more popcorn !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I doubt that....just slightly more informed.   If Canadians have to bear so much news about the very wicked Donald Trump, the least I can do is bear the stench of Justin Trudeau.

All the bad news regarding Trump is well..  because of Trump.

19 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Of course she was fired because she didn’t act on SNC, one of the few Trudeau. moves I agree with.  She made her decision as Justice Minister.  JT vehemently disagreed with her and moved her to another portfolio.  He could have left her a backbencher.  She’s still in Cabinet.  

She's not in cabinet, and is unlikely to remain in caucus once Trudeau figures out how to remove her without further damaging his street cred as a feminist and inclusive lover of indigenous people.

It's interesting you believe the government should have the ability to halt criminal prosecution of anyone they want for political reasons. Would that extend to themselves? I mean, under your belief if the justice department discovered corruption emanating from Trudeau they would simply have to stop the investigation once he told the Attorney general to do so. You're evidently okay with this, but most of us are not.

The Israeli AG just indicted the Israeli PM on corruption charges. Under your belief system that could never happen in Canada because the PM would have the final say on all charges.

17 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

DPA’s are within the framework of the law. Why did Wilson-Raybould oppose them?

You continue to take a position which has already been shown is incorrect. It was not her decision. It was the decision of the prosecutor, backed up by the director or prosecutions. I have already told you this.  Do you have a poor memory?

19 minutes ago, Argus said:

You continue to take a position which has already been shown is incorrect. It was not her decision. It was the decision of the prosecutor, backed up by the director or prosecutions. I have already told you this.  Do you have a poor memory?

I know all about the DPP’s supposedly sacrosanct position and still don’t know why a DPA wasn’t done.  It doesn’t matter.  Give away the farm.  Figure it out in line at the food bank. 

On 2/28/2019 at 10:34 PM, Zeitgeist said:

You keep saying this, or words to this effect, and you're wrong. Perhaps you haven't been following this too closely and missed the several times it's already been explained why a DPA would be illegal. The law as written by the Liberals themselves states that a company guilty of previous offences of a similar or same nature as the ones they are currently accused of are not eligible for a DPA. SNC has admitted guilt in previous bribery charges and as such do not qualify for a DPA. Further to that the law as written states that economic factors, such as job losses are not relevant or to be considered in the determination of eligibility for a DPA.

Your continued assertion that this is just a personally motivated decision by JWR is incorrect. Her decision was made in accordance with the law as written by the Liberals, the law that she is upholding and following. The ones who are trying to ignore and circumvent that law are Trudeau and his top people. In fact, when she stated one of the laws that are relevant to this case to Butts he responded that it was a Harper law and he didn't like it, in that he was referring to a law that Harper put into play to prevent exactly this kind of corruption.

So are you saying that in your opinion it's okay for a sitting government to just ignore, bend or break any laws that don't suit their agenda?

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

I would like to see a no confidence vote put forth , or however we do that, and get Trudeau out of office.

That wont happen, the Liberals have a majority. Liberal MP's would have to cross the floor for it, and you know they wont do that. I may be wrong but I think about 30 of them would have to cross before a vote of non confidence could be held.

2 hours ago, AngusThermopyle said:

You keep saying this, or words to this effect, and you're wrong. Perhaps you haven't been following this too closely and missed the several times it's already been explained why a DPA would be illegal. The law as written by the Liberals themselves states that a company guilty of previous offences of a similar or same nature as the ones they are currently accused of are not eligible for a DPA. SNC has admitted guilt in previous bribery charges and as such do not qualify for a DPA. Further to that the law as written states that economic factors, such as job losses are not relevant or to be considered in the determination of eligibility for a DPA.

Your continued assertion that this is just a personally motivated decision by JWR is incorrect. Her decision was made in accordance with the law as written by the Liberals, the law that she is upholding and following. The ones who are trying to ignore and circumvent that law are Trudeau and his top people. In fact, when she stated one of the laws that are relevant to this case to Butts he responded that it was a Harper law and he didn't like it, in that he was referring to a law that Harper put into play to prevent exactly this kind of corruption.

So are you saying that in your opinion it's okay for a sitting government to just ignore, bend or break any laws that don't suit their agenda?

Of course I’m not saying any of those things.  Back to the issue at hand, DPA’s: You seem to be under the impression that “a company guilty of similar previous offences” isn’t eligible for a DPA.  Not true.    Read the legislation.  Past bad behaviour is one of many factors under consideration in setting the terms of a DPA.  I may not agree with the PMO’s approach or even its motives, but I do agree that failing to apply a DPA to SNC is wrong, both legally and in terms of the public interest.  I’m not mystified by the power of anyone’s office.  Many of us are quite capable of understanding legislation and its potential interpretations.  Trudeau may have ulterior political reasons for removing JWR as AG, but the public interest is a good reason for doing so. 

https://www.osler.com/en/blogs/risk/september-2018/deferred-prosecution-agreements-dpas-come-into-force-in-canada

Edited by Zeitgeist