NHL General Thread

QuebecOverCanada

3 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

See my boy Newhook in action at dev camp

Leafs 53rd overall Nick Robertson Team USA highlights, I said I remembered he scored 2 against Canada juniors, but actually he had a hat trick.

Nice shot. Teams clearly sleeping on the kid because of his size, Dubeezus strikes again.

11 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Nice shot. Teams clearly sleeping on the kid because of his size, Dubeezus strikes again.

Pretty much, I'm not sleeping on him though, because of SDA I've been monitoring the Pete's, plus it's my favorite OHL arena to watch a game, so I've had my eye on Robertson, he's kind of like Brendan Gallagher, small, but feisty, goes to the net, and like you say, he's got an NHL release on that wrist shot, he's also got patience and soft hands around the net, I think he's an NHL player, just need to let the cake bake.

The main thing is, I think he has late first round NHL upside, so having traded the pick away for Muzzin, Dubas has chosen wisely as to make the 53rd overall pick comparable to the bottom ten 1st that they traded away, bearing in mind that I do like Muzzin, but as he is just a super rental, Grundstrom, Durzi and a 1st was a steep price to pay.

Moreover Robertson to me fills the gap opened by trading Grundstrom, Robertson has as much upside as Grundstrom if not more.

Furthermore he does play with SDA particularly on the power play, left and right shooting snipers/playmakers who throw the puck around like it's on a string, so the Marlies and then eventually the Leafs are developing a scoring pair from the ground up, SDA the quarterback with Robertson going to the net with finish, looking three to four years out, these are the internal replacements habbening in real time.

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

Furthermore he does play with SDA particularly on the power play, left and right shooting snipers/playmakers who throw the puck around like it's on a string, so the Marlies and then eventually the Leafs are developing a scoring pair from the ground up, SDA the quarterback with Robertson going to the net with finish, looking three to four years out, these are the internal replacements habbening in real time.

Jealous of the Leafs internal development, Marlies such a machine, Eagles suck balls. Avs need to stock the minors a lot better, they've been improving at it, but still far from where I want it to be, since it used to be an absolute wasteland I guess that's to be expected, but I have little patience for it.

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Jealous of the Leafs internal development, Marlies such a machine, Eagles suck balls. Avs need to stock the minors a lot better, they've been improving at it, but still far from where I want it to be, since it used to be an absolute wasteland I guess that's to be expected, but I have little patience for it.

It's true, mind you, the Duchene trade has turned out to be such a motherlode of prospects, the Avs are basically just dining out on Ottawa's stupidity for now.

Also I think Newhook will be similar to Makar, a year in the NCAA to put some muscle on, then he's gonna be the 2C behind MacKinnon.

With MacKinnon, Newhook and Bowers the Avs are becoming team Team Maritimes, Halifax, Dartmouth and St. Johns, Leafs West is more Leafs than Leafs East.

And the best is, Duchene is not even gonna be a Sen, whether it's Columbus, Nashville, Montreal or whomever, one things for sure, Duchene ain't gonna be in Ottawa.

Ottawa has now reached the threshold of Harold Ballardville, trading for Duchene will go down as one of the worst trades ever, right up there with Tom Kurvers for Scott Neidermayer.

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

And the best is, Duchene is not even gonna be a Sen, whether it's Columbus, Nashville, Montreal or whomever, one things for sure, Duchene ain't gonna be in Ottawa.

Ottawa has now reached the threshold of Harold Ballardville, trading for Duchene will go down as one of the worst trades ever, right up there with Tom Kurvers for Scott Neidermayer.

I'm gonna die laughing when Duchene gets overpaid as fuck in Nashville, and they dump Subban just to pay that money to Duchene. I seriously might not live Dougie, could be RIP Yzermandias, pray for me.

Edited by Yzermandius19

9 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

I'm gonna die laughing when Duchene gets overpaid as fuck in Nashville, and they dump Subban just to pay that money to Duchene. I seriously might not live Dougie, could be RIP Yzermandias, pray for me.

The power of Schadenfreude will sustain you, f**k Ottberta.

Bye the bye, the Leafs just hired ex-Flyers head coach Dave Hackstol as their Jim Hiller replacement, Dubeezus bringing in his own guys to offset Babcock-itis.

Me likey both of these assistant coach hires, McFarlane from Florida, and getting Hackstol, who really is a head coach, is just sheer MLSE financial firepower in action.

Both coaches have their own vision, they're both confident in what they do, I think it will actually help Babcock, he needs to be saved from himself.

And if not, Babcock can be thrown under the bus and Hackstol is standing by as the interim head coach on the spot.

Edited by Dougie93

1 hour ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Pens trade Phil Kessel, Dane Birks and a 2021 4th rounder to Arizona for Alex Galchenyuk and Pierre-Olivier Joseph.

Bizarro Coyotes actually spend money with new ownership, interesting.

So much for Chucky being the answer *snickers*, at least Chayka managed to turn him into Phat Phil,  which is an upgrade.

Phil likes nice weather for golf and he gets along with Rick Tocchet, so I'd say it's a pretty good fit.

Much maligned as Cody Ceci is, and rightly so, I think I'd still rather have Ceci for one year than Zaitsev, defensively they are pretty much the same, but Ceci is a better puck rusher with a heavier shot and Ceci shoots more, Zaitsev refuses to shoot the puck, which is half his problem.

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Much maligned as Cody Ceci is, and rightly so, I think I'd still rather have Ceci for one year than Zaitsev, defensively they are pretty much the same, but Ceci is a better puck rusher with a heavier shot and Ceci shoots more, Zaitsev refuses to shoot the puck, which is half his problem.

Would be a similar cap hit, so not much cap relief this year, if any, but a temporary upgrade, and you get rid of that massive two phones overpay on the long term.

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Would be a similar cap hit, so not much cap relief this year, if any, but a temporary upgrade, and you get rid of that massive two phones overpay on the long term.

They're both soft, they both stand around puck watching, they both get caved in, but Ceci is probably more the offensive upside rushing defensemen the Leafs thought they were getting when they signed Zaitsev.  He actually has a howitzer of a shot, and he does skate well, he moves the puck, the problem for Ceci is that he has some size so the fans expect him to be like a Muzzin, but he's just not, Ceci is a big man who plays small, but so is Zaitsev, so that aspect is a wash, Ceci however will get more goals and more points, particularly playing with the Nanny State Warriors.

I actually think Muzzin and Ceci would be a more serviceable pairing, they're Team Canada Southern Ontario so they would gel quickly, Muzzin has the sandpaper to offset Ceci's butter softness, Ceci is the smoother skater who gets the puck through the neutral zone, they kind of compliment one another, moreso than Muzzin and Zaitsev methinks, simply because Zaitsev doesn't rush the puck and doesn't use his shot, but otherwise is not better than Ceci on the aggregate.

Ceci also has big time high pressure playoff experience compared to Zaitsev,  Ceci is more like a Muzzin in that department.

Ceci is just the favvorite whipping boy of the Ottawa fan base, none the less, I still think he's a better NHL player than Zaitsev is.

The main thing with Ceci is to just ignore the fact that he is 6'2" 207 lbs and realize that he is a pure offensive defensemen.

He doesn't play defense, same as Zaitsev, he gets caved in if he doesn't have someone carrying him in the defensive zone, same as Zaitsev.

Ceci on the other hand at least has some NHL offensive upside whereas Zaitsev doesn't have any particular qualities which stand out.

Just get rid of that Two Phones contract, Ceci can do what Zaitsev does for now, worry about Reilly's and Andersen's next contracts, get rid of the dead weight cap hits ASAP.

Even if you have to be thin and top heavy next season, you gotta do what you gotta do to fit Reilly and Andersen under the cap going forward.

I'm not making a prediction because I'm the same with Ceci as I am with Zaitsev, in that I don't have any confidence in them, but on the other hand, playing with the Mike Babcock country club does give Ceci the opportunity to put up some points, which Zaitsev is just not doing, so what the heck, give somebody else an opportunity, particularly as Zaitsev has idiotically requested a trade when he actually has it made in the shade in the 6ix under Babcock who plays the shit out of him.

That goes for Ron Hainsey too, who apparently has multiple teams bidding for him, because doesn't matter what they pay him, nobody is going to treat him better than Babcock does.  Take a team friendly discount and play with Morgan Reilly, or be a healthy scratch for a few sheckles more, me, I'd go with Mo Norris,

Edited by Dougie93

11 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Kawhi Watch Time.

Yeah, I'd prefer to keep the Kawhi party going, but that situation doesn't vex me as much as the Loafs cap problems tho, as directed by Serge Ibaka, I'm simply enjoying the Chip with the Dip all summer long.

The weather is so nice I'm just in Bobby Margarita mode,  cottage lifestyle at home bliss.

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    lahr

• phoenyx75 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • lahr earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • lahr earned a badge
      First Post
    • User went up a rank