Conservatives projected to win majority.

Lol, this will be 1 quick term.  He will get destroyed at the polls once all the low iq poor voters realize they are getting a pay freeze from Ford and taking $1500 out their pockets by freezing min wage while not freezing elite and wealthy people's wages in general.

8 hours ago, H10 said:

1) Lol, this will be 1 quick term.  

2) He will get destroyed at the polls once all the low iq poor voters realize they are getting a pay freeze from Ford and taking $1500 out their pockets by freezing min wage while not freezing elite and wealthy people's wages in general.

1) I see it as 2 terms minimum... The Liberals were knocked down so much that they may need 2 elections to come back, if they can.  And if Horwath couldn't win against ford and a 20% Liberal vote then she never will.

2) Well where are those voters then ?  They sure didn't step up to vote against him this time.

The question now is, should they lower the requirement for party status which has been done before but it's pretty low right now.  It would be pretty darned hard to make a comeback without funding and access etc. 

The Liberals deserved what they got but even so, 15 years is a long time for one party to be in power, time for a change anyway, I'm just thankful it wasn't the NDP. 

I also wonder if Wynne will stay on for the full term as an MPP, I wouldn't be surprised if she quits after a months - maybe she'll get a good job offer from the Feds.

I just read that when the NDP fell below official party status the Ontario Liberals denied their request for an exemption,  so maybe they should not consider making a change.

Edited by scribblet

18 minutes ago, scribblet said:

I just read that when the NDP fell below official party status the Ontario Liberals denied their request for an exemption,  so maybe they should not consider making a change.

Yes, I think they got it eventually.  Given that Doug went on the air when Kathleen Wynne did to effectively cancel her good-bye speech, I don't have a lot of hope that these guys will be gracious in victory.  Oh well.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes, I think they got it eventually.  Given that Doug went on the air when Kathleen Wynne did to effectively cancel her good-bye speech, I don't have a lot of hope that these guys will be gracious in victory.  Oh well.

I thought that was a technical mix up - no 

Well, The most effective opposition to Ford will be the media and left wing foreign funded groups who will attack and or sue him at turn. 

10 hours ago, H10 said:

Lol, this will be 1 quick term.  He will get destroyed at the polls once all the low iq poor voters realize they are getting a pay freeze from Ford and taking $1500 out their pockets by freezing min wage while not freezing elite and wealthy people's wages in general.

It will be interesting to see if Ford's "common man" appeal will hold up. The minimum wage was increased too quickly. It should have gone up in stages to $15/hr over, say, a 5 or 6 year period. Wynne was simply trying to score political points with her rash policy. But there is a much bigger issue at stake here, which is that Ontario is broke. Government programs will have to be trimmed and public service entitlements will have to be shaved. I don't see much choice on this. Ordinary working Ontarians are suffering and our own political Nero, Wynne, seemed too often to fiddle while things burned down around her, often as a result of fires she started. But there are other negative harbingers as well. Rental housing costs in the GTA have increased outrageously in comparison to actual incomes. It's not at all surprising that voters in the core Toronto ridings who are most impacted by this turned their backs on Wynne, who did little to help the situation, and opted for the NDP, the only party that credibly promised some relief from the madness. Can Ford keep the hundred of thousands of renters in the GTA, many of whom (especially in the suburbs) supported him, on side while at the same time keeping the financial class happy? Hmmm.... Overall, I'm not dissatisfied with a Ford government, but it's going to have to walk a tightrope between pleasing its corporate backers on the one hand and on the other maintaining its credibility among the many lower income earners who voted for it. The interests of these constituencies are often incompatible.

Edited by turningrite

23 minutes ago, turningrite said:

1) Government programs will have to be trimmed and public service entitlements will have to be shaved. 

2) Rental housing costs in the GTA have increased outrageously in comparison to actual incomes.

3) Can Ford keep the hundred of thousands of renters in the GTA, many of whom (especially in the suburbs) supported him, on side while at the same time keeping the financial class happy? Hmmm....

4) Overall, I'm not dissatisfied with a Ford government, but it's going to have to walk a tightrope between pleasing its corporate backers on the one hand and on the other maintaining its credibility among the many lower income earners who voted for it. The interests of these constituencies are often incompatible.

1) What about cutting cops and firefighters ?  There is no accurate count of what is needed for those jobs unlike teaching which measures crowd sizes.  Police used to make salary commensurate with the low amount of education needed but now earn $100K quickly and retire in their mid fifties or earlier.

2) Yes this is a big problem.  In fact it can't get worse.

3) My thoughts also.

4) Very difficult yes.

35 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1) What about cutting cops and firefighters ?  There is no accurate count of what is needed for those jobs unlike teaching which measures crowd sizes.  Police used to make salary commensurate with the low amount of education needed but now earn $100K quickly and retire in their mid fifties or earlier.

2) Yes this is a big problem.  In fact it can't get worse.

3) My thoughts also.

4) Very difficult yes.

I suspect the public will continue to support funds spent on policing and firefighting, including coverage for generous pensions and benefits. But these groups make up a tiny fraction of the broader public sector in this province. On the other hand, an acquaintance of mine, a former neighbour and a nice guy, is poised to retire at 55 from an administrative provincial public service role in the very near future with an unreduced pension well in excess of the earnings of most ordinary workers and will also have gold-plated benefits for life. He was fortunate to get into the provincial public service when young and despite having no post-secondary education worked his way as far up the union pay scale as he could. I believe the federal public service age cut-off for unreduced pension entitlement is 60 and most retirees must buy their benefits. In an era when most of us are being told to expect less from government, it's difficult to persuade many that the disparity between provincially-governed public sector wages and benefits, in particular, and the conditions faced by most ordinary workers is fair. I think these are the kinds of inequities Ford will have to convince many in his base that his government is prepared to address. But there will be lots of conflict in so doing. It will be a bumpy ride.

3 hours ago, scribblet said:

I thought that was a technical mix up - no 

Well, The most effective opposition to Ford will be the media and left wing foreign funded groups who will attack and or sue him at turn. 

One of the first things I hope the new PC government does is ban all political donations that don't come from individuals, as it is at the federal scene. That would mean no more money from either corporations or unions. I also want them to crack down on third party election spending the way the feds have. There are a number of them, some foreign funded, some union funded, and some, we don't even know who funds. Story in the paper today that there were a good two dozen unregistered group running political ads on Facebook prior to the election. That needs to be stopped as well. And I want an end to cash for influence meetings with the premier and cabinet ministers which the Liberals did so often.

2 hours ago, turningrite said:

It will be interesting to see if Ford's "common man" appeal will hold up. The minimum wage was increased too quickly. It should have gone up in stages to $15/hr over, say, a 5 or 6 year period. Wynne was simply trying to score political points with her rash policy.

Absolutely, and it's cost jobs both in Ontario and BC. Ontario lost jobs last month instead of gaining them, mainly due to BCs minimum wage hike.

But there is a much bigger issue at stake here, which is that Ontario is broke. Government programs will have to be trimmed and public service entitlements will have to be shaved. I don't see much choice on this.

The problem is he promised not one public servant would lose their job. That means either he breaks that promise or he has to do it slowly, by attrition, with hiring freezes and a freeze on wage increases which has to extend to universities, school boards, hospitals, and municipal services. IMO universities could lose half their staff and not endanger the quality of education.

But there are other negative harbingers as well. Rental housing costs in the GTA have increased outrageously in comparison to actual incomes. It's not at all surprising that voters in the core Toronto ridings who are most impacted by this turned their backs on Wynne, who did little to help the situation, and opted for the NDP, the only party that credibly promised some relief from the madness. Can Ford keep the hundred of thousands of renters in the GTA, many of whom (especially in the suburbs) supported him, on side while at the same time keeping the financial class happy?

According to a recent report the cost of housing in Canada is enormously increased by government charges, fees and regulations. Much of the problem in the GTA is due to provincial housing policy which was designed to make it hard to build single family homes. There is a lot which can be done here.

1 hour ago, turningrite said:

I suspect the public will continue to support funds spent on policing and firefighting, including coverage for generous pensions and benefits. But these groups make up a tiny fraction of the broader public sector in this province.

The pay rate for police and firefighters has gotten to ridiculous levels and threatens the municipal budgets in a lot of localities. This is because of a provincial arbitration scheme the municipalities have been begging the Liberals to change for many years. Basically if one city, like say Toronto, gets an increase, arbitrators will award the same increase to every other municipal force, even if its in a small town with no real crime where the cost of living is half what it is in TO. A cop in Timmins makes more than a cop in New York City, London England or Paris France. It's absurd but with even the OPP giving money to the Liberals and creating campaign commercials for them it wasn't going to change under Wynne.

8 minutes ago, Argus said:

According to a recent report the cost of housing in Canada is enormously increased by government charges, fees and regulations. Much of the problem in the GTA is due to provincial housing policy which was designed to make it hard to build single family homes. There is a lot which can be done here.

There are a lot of empty single family homes in the GTA, judging by what I see only.  Also I find it aggravating that people talk about housing 'demand' rather than 'needs'.  'Demand' rolls in speculation and people who need a roof over their heads.  They are two entirely different things and paying too much attention to speculation has negative impacts for ordinary people who don't have a 2nd property to gamble with.

3 hours ago, scribblet said:

The question now is, should they lower the requirement for party status which has been done before but it's pretty low right now.  It would be pretty darned hard to make a comeback without funding and access etc. 

The Liberals deserved what they got but even so, 15 years is a long time for one party to be in power, time for a change anyway, I'm just thankful it wasn't the NDP. 

A better question is whether the incoming government will change things so that its harder for future politicians to abuse their power.

I'm not holding my breath.

This morning's Star had the usual gripe that 60% of voters voted for the "progressive" options. What BS. There are over a million unionized public servants in Ontario.. With a 58% voter turnout, at least 600,000 of them probably voted - and I think it's fair to say that the vast majority did not vote for the PCs. There's nothing "progressive" about a union voter - just keep those taxpayer taps turned on and you'll have their vote. What the hell does 'progressive" mean any more? It seems to be just a derogatory catch-word to imply that Conservatives are not "progressive". With these election results, I'd like to think the public is starting catch on.

Edited by Centerpiece
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Very satisfying to watch the Liberals getting their ass handed to them after comparing Doug Ford to Donald Trump.

Ford nation !

Wow talk about being so not-so-obsessed with Canada that you even spend time on the Ontario election. :D

28 minutes ago, eyeball said:

A better question is whether the incoming government will change things so that its harder for future politicians to abuse their power.

I'm not holding my breath.

Yep, let's not get delusional here. Politics will carry on regardless and the people will continue to get screwed.  I voted Green again myself, as I am hoping we eventually can get another party a chance.  The Liberals were going to lead again if Wynne had not stepped down while NOT putting another candidate in her place. She single-handed with only ONE action, destroyed the Liberal party in Ontario.

19 minutes ago, Centerpiece said:

This morning's Star had the usual gripe that 60% of voters voted for the "progressive" options

The PCs had a higher popular vote count than Trudeau, the darling of the Star. PCs received 40.64% of the popular vote to Trudeau's 39.5% in 2015. An inconvenient truth.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Centerpiece said:

... I think it's fair to say that the vast majority did not vote for the PCs. 

Is it though ?  How about the guy on my facebook feed who retired at 55 - ex-cop - who posts endlessly about 'government waste' ?  I guess it's not him too he's thinking about.  

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

There are a lot of empty single family homes in the GTA, judging by what I see only.  Also I find it aggravating that people talk about housing 'demand' rather than 'needs'.  'Demand' rolls in speculation and people who need a roof over their heads.  They are two entirely different things and paying too much attention to speculation has negative impacts for ordinary people who don't have a 2nd property to gamble with.

Speculating works only where there is a shortage. And it is government that causes the shortage.

2 hours ago, Centerpiece said:

This morning's Star had the usual gripe that 60% of voters voted for the "progressive" options. What BS. There are over a million unionized public servants in Ontario.. With a 58% voter turnout, at least 600,000 of them probably voted - and I think it's fair to say that the vast majority did not vote for the PCs. There's nothing "progressive" about a union voter - just keep those taxpayer taps turned on and you'll have their vote. What the hell does 'progressive" mean any more? It seems to be just a derogatory catch-word to imply that Conservatives are not "progressive". 

If I was an Ontario public servant, or a teacher or worked for a hospital or university, I would not have voted for the PCs.