High Taxes driving high earners south

On 5/7/2018 at 1:12 PM, marcus said:

Can you back up the claim that there are 100K asylum seekers that will be coming to Canada? 

No claim required. We know that more of this will happen because we have seen and heard of plenty examples just in the past couple of years where criminal illegal so-called refugees are crossing illegally into Canada, and every day now. 2600 criminal illegals have entered Quebec from America in April alone. They are even flying from many parts of the third world to America  where they then start their march towards Canada. Come on wake up the obvious is slapping you in the face. Canada is being invaded by people who will offer Canada nothing but more hardship on our infrastructures, environment, more taxes and could eventually bankrupt our medicare and social services. Canada needs it's own border wall to keep these criminals out. 

On 5/7/2018 at 9:47 PM, marcus said:

In 2017, we took in 7,500 government assisted refugees (cherry picked from refugee camps abroad), 15,000 in Canada claimants who have been accepted (border crossers are among them), and 16,000 privately sponsored (meaning that taxes are not paying for them - private individuals/groups are).

Show me where you got the numbers.

There is a lot of misinformation being shared by you guys.

There are two major deficiencies in the argument by the anti-refugee crowd:

A )There is a process involved when a person comes across the border and makes a refugee claim. If they're accepted, the process usually takes at least 2.5 years before they can become permanent resident. Part of the process also includes a multi-layer security/background check process. 

B ) The numbers. There are a lot of numbers being thrown out. Since the beginning of 2017, 28,000 people have crossed the border and have seeked asylum. Only 1% of them have so far been removed. However, the government has said that majority of them will not be accepted after due process. 

Those figures come as senior government ministers maintain they expect that close to 90 per cent of those who crossed the border at unofficial ports of entry will see their application to stay fail.

Since the beginning of January 2017 and up until the end of March 2018, the RCMP have intercepted 25,645 people crossing the border into Canada illegally. Public Safety Canada estimates another 2,500 came across in April for a total at just over 28,000.

Once an application for asylum has been received by the federal government, it takes about 19 months for the initial assessment and another 10 months for a final decision to be issued. A backlog of cases and a shortage of staff to process the applications have contributed to the wait times.

Link

And while we are waiting for these criminal illegals to have their asylums reviewed it will be costing the Canadian taxpayer's hundreds of millions of Canadian tax dollars to be wasted on these criminals. Our useless Canadian politically correct politicians are the major problem here because they refuse to do or say anything about this criminality going on. They all prefer to  just talk about diversity because diversity is suppose to be good for Canada. Politicians like to pretend that they care about Canada and Canadians. It is more like they want to keep their jobs and the great perks that go with it that they appear to be more interested in. Canada be dammed.  

It will probably be more like 90% of those who cross the border will get to stay. What? Are you going to send all those crying mothers and their three kids back from whence they came? I don't think so. We are going to get a lot more illegals as the caravans will keep coming. Canada needs it's own border wall. 

On 5/6/2018 at 9:42 AM, Argus said:

Diane Francis points out how much taxes have increased in just the last two years for higher income earners, and what impact this is having on people fleeing Canada for the US, where taxes were recently cut. Reminder: Canada is actually experiencing a reasonably thriving economy. Why is it then that taxes AND deficits keep going up? It couldn't be because of Liberals at the helm, could it?

The top tax Ontario rate, for those lucky enough to make a good income (or pension), has soared in Ontario from 49 per cent to 53.53 per cent since 2015 – an obscene jump of 9.2 per cent. In what universe, or nation-state, does this occur minus the excuse of a recession or a war or a calamity of some kind?

This is nation-busting stuff, the kind of disincentive that underlies Canada’s brain drain of doctors, nurses, tech workers, and entrepreneurs to the United States and elsewhere. Just watch the enormous economic damage done when Congress extends its permission for snowbirds by two months – to eight months a year – to stay in the U.S. without becoming taxable.

http://business.financialpost.com/diane-francis/gouging-the-middle-class-must-end-or-the-brain-drain-to-the-u-s-will-continue-unabated

TWO THIRDS of software engineering graduates aren't even trying, but are leaving instantly for the US upon graduation. Why stay here when there's such high taxes, and when the government allows tech companies to import temporary foreign workers at low wages that allow them to pay half what Silicon Valley pays? How do we build a high tech industry on the backs of low paid temporary foregn workers while sending two thirds of OUR people south to fuel US industry?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/technology/article-canada-facing-brain-drain-as-young-tech-talent-leaves-for-silicon/

First we need to have politicians that give a dam about Canada and not themselves. All these thieves, cheats and liars do is create more new taxes, create more big government and try and take away as much freedom as they can from Canadians. Canada could be one of the wealthiest countries on earth where poverty and hunger and unemployment would not exist but instead they prefer to blow and stifle every chance there is to make Canada great. We would all be rich if it were not for those useless bunch of diversity pushers. 

On 5/9/2018 at 2:29 PM, -TSS- said:

Don't you have free health-care in Canada? I mean free in the sense it is funded from the taxes? That's what I have always thought: A stark contrast to the US-system of paying for insurance and if you don't have one then it is no can do.

Yes. But that doesn't matter in the case of higher income people. The jobs they get in the US, working for software companies and the like, come with employer provided health insurance. So not only are the wages much higher, but they get health care with those wages. And the taxes are lower to boot.

On 5/9/2018 at 12:29 PM, -TSS- said:

Don't you have free health-care in Canada? I mean free in the sense it is funded from the taxes? That's what I have always thought: A stark contrast to the US-system of paying for insurance and if you don't have one then it is no can do.

First of all, only productive people pay for sick care in the US.  Between Medicare, Medicaid and government employment, a significant percentage of the population enjoys sick care at the cost of taxpayers.

What we have in Canada is a sick system where everyone has medical insurance (most hidden cost by tax but in some cases with a monthly premium) provided by each province.  There is a wide array of service delivery that is 100% government funded, some 100% government delivered, some delivered by private contractors to the state sick care plan and others that are "out of scope" and must be paid by the patient...IF it is allowed (some services are restricted to government delivery).  Within the former G7, only Canada and the US stand out at the two opposite extremes.  All of the rest have some version of government insurance, but an unrestricted mix of private and/or public service delivery.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, cannuck said:

Within the former G7, only Canada and the US stand out at the two opposite extremes.  All of the rest have some version of government insurance, but an unrestricted mix of private and/or public service delivery.

The problem with Canada's national health care is a stubborn Marxist belief that all people should get exactly the same health care treatment, regardless of how much money they have or are willing to pay. This flies in the face of reality, of course, and everyone knows the likes of Justin Trudeau and other rich men don't have to wait in line for six hours at an ER to see a doctor, or wait six months on a list for an operation. Yet they cling to the ideal regardless. They don't insist everyone have the same quality of housing or clothing or food or anything else. But somehow the opinion makers, at least, have become devoted Marxists in terms of health care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just comment on my own situation here as a member of the 2% income group, and I'm not even 30 yet.

From Ontario here:

In early 2018, I declined a job in Canada that would pay me more not because I had to pay more taxes, but because the income increase after taxes (while would be higher of course) is not worth the grief of potentially taking a job I wouldn't love as much. The difference to the Ontario coffers would be less than a rounding error due to the size of the revenue gained from taxes, but to me it was actually quite a hefty sum of money, but still it was worth it for me to turn that job down.

The other thing in 2018 that I decided to do was to pull out all of my Canadian investments and simply put all of my money in the US market. This has bode very very well for me.

While I am remaining at my present employer, I will also be moving to a new job in the US in a week or so. Why? More money, significantly less taxes (no state income tax as well), and better healthcare (again, this is for me, and not representative of Americans in general, as we know)

Of course, both of the above are completely insignificant because it's n=1, but just thought I'd share. Bye Canada. I know no one will miss me, but I can finally tell those on the left that say "if you don't like it, leave". Well then, ok, bye!

Edited by angrypenguin

38 minutes ago, angrypenguin said:

I will also be moving to a new job in the US in a week or so. Why? More money, significantly less taxes (no state income tax as well), and better healthcare (again, this is for me, and not representative of Americans in general, as we know) 

There's something called 'Technical Debt', which the US is incurring metaphorically - in spades.  You are moving closer to the hot center of that.  The chance of you being caught up in a collapsing bridge, or a machine gun attack by a disgrunted Trump supporter remain low but you are making a risk assessment nonetheless.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

There's something called 'Technical Debt', which the US is incurring metaphorically - in spades.  You are moving closer to the hot center of that.  The chance of you being caught up in a collapsing bridge, or a machine gun attack by a disgrunted Trump supporter remain low but you are making a risk assessment nonetheless.

I disagree in some ways, but it sure beats Ontario which is already heavily in debt and it appears the voters are deciding that it's quite alright. Trump hasn't caused WW3, but in the meantime I chose to live in the 'now', which is to minimize my taxes and maximize my income.

Edited by angrypenguin

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1.75 Trillion debt for Ontario + Canada (from Google search)

1.78 Trillion US debt (from Google search)

You've conveniently left out the fact that the population in the US is 10 times as big as in Canada which adds further alarm to your post. Also, if Canada goes bankrupt tomorrow (let alone Ontario), no one will care and the world will continue trucking on just fine. The US is (as much as it pains me to say this) too big to fail, and if it does, than the entire world enters a recession, so we're all ducked.

Edited by angrypenguin

54 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

US debt is closer to $21 trillion.

Edited by Argus

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Who really knows how much America's debt is?

U.S. Army fudged its accounts by trillions of dollars, auditor finds

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The United States Army’s finances are so jumbled it had to make trillions of dollars of improper accounting adjustments to create an illusion that its books are balanced.

The Defense Department’s Inspector General, in a June report, said the Army made $2.8 trillion in wrongful adjustments to accounting entries in one quarter alone in 2015, and $6.5 trillion for the year. 

According to some the US military is woefully underfunded. 

Canadians have been moving to the U.S. for greater opportunity and lower cost of living for generations.  Immigrants to Canada have also made the switch for over a century, and at one point (1930's) Canada actually lost population to the U.S.

Two-thirds of Canadians live within 100 kilometers of the U.S. border...temporary and permanent access to the U.S. is an important Canadian value and behaviour.

Many high skilled, high wealth, or high income Canadians will not be satisfied to pay more and get less in Canada.

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, angrypenguin said:

You've conveniently left out the fact that the population in the US is 10 times as big as in Canada which adds further alarm to your post. Also, if Canada goes bankrupt tomorrow (let alone Ontario), no one will care and the world will continue trucking on just fine. The US is (as much as it pains me to say this) too big to fail, and if it does, than the entire world enters a recession, so we're all ducked.

Yeah.  Actually I mistyped the US debt.  Argus corrected it as $21B so more per capita.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Who really knows how much America's debt is?

@Argus does.  He posted it.

If there is anything at all that liberals should appreciate conservatives for, it's for knowing the count of our debt which has reasonable limits.  I will never begrudge their public usefulness in watching that.