Refugee crisis escalating

You're assuming that the 50% that were allowed to stay somehow fit the narrow description of "refugee".  These laws aren't being followed - they're being "used as needed" which is not the intention of a "law".  Haitians (in the macro) do NOT fit the profile of "refugee".

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hydraboss said:

You're assuming that the 50% that were allowed to stay somehow fit the narrow description of "refugee".  These laws aren't being followed - they're being "used as needed" which is not the intention of a "law".  Haitians (in the macro) do NOT fit the profile of "refugee".

The Canadian government set up a similar temporary protected status as did the US following the earthquake in Haiti. Ours was shut down prior to Trump suggesting the US would shut down there's. As of 2015, the last year data is available, 38% of Haitian refugees were allowed to stay.

15 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

Haiti is a horrible shithole and anyone would want to get out of there but is there widespread religious or political persecution which would entitle to a refugee-status?

There was a "temporary protected status" created after the terrible earthquake in 2010. Many nations, including Canada helped with the rebuilding which has been completed to the point were the TPS has been rescinded.

I'm not sure of the statistics but I think about 3million people with a Finnish background live in the USA, Canada or Australia and most of all in Sweden.

They are the people who went away from Finland because Finland was such a poor horrible shithole which offered no future.

Who can blame them? But fortunately not everyone left and today Finland is one of the best places imaginable in the world.

The lesson is that leaving a shithole keeps the place a shithole. Somebody must stay and make the place better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

I'm not sure of the statistics but I think about 3million people with a Finnish background live in the USA, Canada or Australia and most of all in Sweden.

They are the people who went away from Finland because Finland was such a poor horrible shithole which offered no future.

Who can blame them? But fortunately not everyone left and today Finland is one of the best places imaginable in the world.

The lesson is that leaving a shithole keeps the place a shithole. Somebody must stay and make the place better.

I don't believe that the Haitians have the ability to help make their lives a lot better. They have become welfare recipients from Canada for decades now, and it still appears as though this will never end until the Canadian taxpayer's say enough already. But I don't see that happening for a long time yet. Canadians love to pay taxes and appear to love and enjoy watching most of their taxes go down the drain. Haiti is truly a shit hole. Sad and happy at the same time but I have to say that if Caucasians started to immigrate by the thousands to Haiti I think that country could become a decent living place to live. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, -TSS- said:

Haiti is a horrible shithole and anyone would want to get out of there but is there widespread religious or political persecution which would entitle to a refugee-status?

I believe that there is no cruise ship line that will make a stop in Haiti. So, it must be a corrupt shit hole alright. 

1 hour ago, Omni said:

The Canadian government set up a similar temporary protected status as did the US following the earthquake in Haiti. Ours was shut down prior to Trump suggesting the US would shut down there's. As of 2015, the last year data is available, 38% of Haitian refugees were allowed to stay.

And those that got to stay in Canada no doubt most of them are on the Canadian taxpayer funded welfare handouts. Haitian's don't make great citizen's. They just know how to create more poverty. Allowing 1% to stay will be too much for the taxpayer to have to look after. The Canadian government is nothing more than a big joke. They are always great at showing the Canadian taxpayer as to how well they are at blowing Canadian tax dollars. But you don't care about taxes are being blown, uhmm? 

1 minute ago, Omni said:

Cruise ships have been stopping in Haiti for years.

1 minute ago, Omni said:

Cruise ships have been stopping in Haiti for years.

I will have to check on some cruise ship line websites to make sure that is true.  Have some more popcorn while you wait.  

15 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

Haiti is a bit of a special case. The place has been poverty stricken for years, helped along by the fact that a number of Presidents took the county's bank account with them when they were voted out or ousted. The Duvalier's and Aristide come to mind. Then on top of that they had a major earthquake and floods. And then some of the UN people sent to help from some countries, didn't really help. So I can see why a lot of people left. If I was going to suggest an industry that they should focus on rebuilding, it would be tourism. The other end of the island, the Dominican Republic does very well at it. 

9 minutes ago, Omni said:

Haiti is a bit of a special case. The place has been poverty stricken for years, helped along by the fact that a number of Presidents took the county's bank account with them when they were voted out or ousted. The Duvalier's and Aristide come to mind. Then on top of that they had a major earthquake and floods. And then some of the UN people sent to help from some countries, didn't really help. So I can see why a lot of people left. If I was going to suggest an industry that they should focus on rebuilding, it would be tourism. The other end of the island, the Dominican Republic does very well at it. 

Well, what the hell are they waiting for? They were giving tens of billions in donated money and materials to rebuild the country. Looking for excuses like it is all the governments fault is a cop out. If the Haitian people do not want to get their crap together than so be it and let them continue to live in their hell hole.  The rest of the world has done more than enough to try and help those losers. I know that I am fed up trying to help a people thru my taxes who seem to have a problem with trying to help themselves. Just keep bringing more of them into Canada is not the way to go. It's madness.  Just saying. 

5 minutes ago, taxme said:

Well, what the hell are they waiting for? They were giving tens of billions in donated money and materials to rebuild the country. Looking for excuses like it is all the governments fault is a cop out. If the Haitian people do not want to get their crap together than so be it and let them continue to live in their hell hole.  The rest of the world has done more than enough to try and help those losers. I know that I am fed up trying to help a people thru my taxes who seem to have a problem with trying to help themselves. Just keep bringing more of them into Canada is not the way to go. It's madness.  Just saying. 

Haiti reminds me a bit of the Rhodesia/Zimbabwe-episode. Anyone realises what has gone wrong in both cases but it is not politically correct to say it out loud.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hydraboss said:

...even though Haitians don"t qualify as "refugees".  Thanks for making my point.

The open secret about the Canadian refugee system is that there are middle-men involved, sometimes in the original country, sometimes here. Often they're 'new Canadians' who call themselves immigration advisors. Sometimes they're immigration lawyers and their assistants. And these people provide a boiler plate statement to the refugee, telling him or her, in essence, what sort of story to tell to get themselves approved. Remember that there is almost never any actual proof of direct persecution, so it's mostly if the applicant claims to be persecuted and can come up with a credible statement and lies convincingly he or she is often allowed to stay.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Omni said:

I don't need popcorn, I've flown over the damn things many times.

My understanding is they cut so many trees that it is nothing but mud slides, compared to the other side of the Island. Is that true?

30 minutes ago, Hydraboss said:

Well, at least we can lay one argument to rest.....Minister Hussen himself finally came out and said it:

Yup, it's illegal

With the multitude of contradictory and nebulous statements coming from Trudeau and his Liberals, is it any wonder that would-be asylum seekers are confused about the process? From day one authorities have facilitated the illegal crossing into Canada. I mean, what are asylum seekers to think when foot paths are cleared to make it easier for them to get over the border illegally. That was an open invitation to break our laws.

The local Quebec municipality has filled in part of the ditch to make a footpath so the elderly, infirm or very pregnant can cross more easily. Metal barriers have been set up to help with crowd control. There are tents to protect everyone from the blazing summer sun. Generators power fans during the day and lights at night. There's even a pair of portable toilets.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/asylum-seekers-quebec-roxham-1.4232608

I'm compassionate but come on, at the risk of being labelled a racist, I believe if they could not have come across on their own steam, they would probably have turned around and gone back from where they came or used the official border crossing.

With constant messages of "Welcome to Canada" at every turn, is there any doubt they would use their cell phones to advise compatriots "come on down, it's a cinch to get in".

Then we have a fiasco in Cornwall where a number of asylum seekers are being housed. Local authorities in Cornwall have complained that no one appears to be in charge of the situation so information is not forthcoming and no one designated to answer their questions and concerns.

http://www.standard-freeholder.com/2017/08/22/government-agencies-explain-situation-with-asylum-seekers-at-cornwalls-nav-centre