Is this really racism

16 hours ago, taxme said:

Hey, if you can prove what FOX and others say is all fiction , well then, show me where they have gone wrong with their reporting? Otherwise stay silent. 

And how often do you "prove' the mainstream media is saying fiction? You seem to take it for granted even while admitting you don't watch it. I at least watch FOX to see how they slant the news on everything.

14 hours ago, Omni said:

Obviously you ignored the videos that actually show who brought the violence. Toting AR-15's, wearing Nazi armbands, screaming racist chants. WTF more do you need?

You can find people from both sides toting AR-15s. None of them used them so that argument is irrelevant anyway.

Wearing Nazi armbands and screaming racist epithets is completely legal. If the police had done their job there would have been no violence, just as there hasn't been over the past seventy years of such demos. 

Edited by Argus

38 minutes ago, Argus said:

You can find people from both sides toting AR-15s. None of them used them so that argument is irrelevant anyway.

Wearing Nazi armbands and screaming racist epithets is completely legal. If the police had done their job there would have been no violence, just as there hasn't been over the past seventy years of such demos. 

So we are simply going to put our head in the sand and blame the violence on the police. The alt. right came looking for a fight, that is quite evident by the videos.

34 minutes ago, Omni said:

So we are simply going to put our head in the sand and blame the violence on the police. The alt. right came looking for a fight, that is quite evident by the videos.

Their numbers have been dwindling year by year. There were once millions of KKKers. Now they couldn't fill half a hockey arena, even if you throw in the Nazis. Nothing they did at Charlottesville was any different from what they've been doing forever EXCEPT that the police screwed up and didn't do anything to keep the two sides apart.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/01/us/charlottesville-riots-failures-review/index.html

17 minutes ago, Argus said:

Their numbers have been dwindling year by year. There were once millions of KKKers. Now they couldn't fill half a hockey arena, even if you throw in the Nazis. Nothing they did at Charlottesville was any different from what they've been doing forever EXCEPT that the police screwed up and didn't do anything to keep the two sides apart.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/01/us/charlottesville-riots-failures-review/index.html

You and Jason Kessler agree on that. 

14 hours ago, Omni said:

From a variety of reliable fact checked sources. Unlike you who seems to rely on Breitbart which is of course  joke, and Fox who itself admits it's in the entertainment business not the news business.  What were the other ones who have you hooked by the nose?

C'mon, name some of those reliable sources so I can go and check them out. Don't just talk, do the walk. C'mon, hand them over? 

15 minutes ago, taxme said:

C'mon, name some of those reliable sources so I can go and check them out. Don't just talk, do the walk. C'mon, hand them over? 

You have already said who you rely on for your "news" and that you don't read/listen the MSM, so you are destined to live in the breitbart fog it seems.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

And how often do you "prove' the mainstream media is saying fiction? You seem to take it for granted even while admitting you don't watch it. I at least watch FOX to see how they slant the news on everything.

And I also visit outfits like CNN and MSNBC now and then and all I get from them is fiction and lies. Look at how many reporters have been fired from those two and other liberal left wing media outfits when they were found out to be making up stories or have staged false events. At least FOX does not try and do nasty and dirty reporting tricks like those others do.  And you say that FOX news slants the news. Tell that to people who will believe your bull chit. 

So, give me some names of some of those outfits that are your sources for factual reporting on the news. You already know mine, let's have some of yours? Over. 

6 minutes ago, Omni said:

You have already said who you rely on for your "news" and that you don't read/listen the MSM, so you are destined to live in the breitbart fog it seems.

Name some of your sources, snowflake? You already know mine, give us some of yours. Simple question, and it should be a simple answer for you to reply too. Go ahead, don't keep me waiting. 

2 hours ago, taxme said:

And I also visit outfits like CNN and MSNBC now and then and all I get from them is fiction and lies. Look at how many reporters have been fired from those two and other liberal left wing media outfits when they were found out to be making up stories or have staged false events.

Those reporters are a handful, at best, and they weren't 'found out'. Their own agencies discovered that their reporting wasn't up to their high standards of accuracy.

2 hours ago, taxme said:

At least FOX does not try and do nasty and dirty reporting tricks like those others do.  And you say that FOX news slants the news. Tell that to people who will believe your bull chit. 

FOX routinely does nasty and dirty reporting tricks, and slants the news according to virtually everyone other than FOX and Trump. Studies show its viewership is less informed than people who don't even watch the news at all. You won't catch their reporters resigning because of fake news because fake news is all FOX does.

2 hours ago, taxme said:

So, give me some names of some of those outfits that are your sources for factual reporting on the news. You already know mine, let's have some of yours? Over. 

National Post, Globe & Mail, BBC, Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Star, Daily Mail, The Spectator, The Atlantic, The Telegraph, CNN, CBS, NBC, CBC, CBS, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, Euronews...

51 minutes ago, Argus said:

Those reporters are a handful, at best, and they weren't 'found out'. Their own agencies discovered that their reporting wasn't up to their high standards of accuracy.

FOX routinely does nasty and dirty reporting tricks, and slants the news according to virtually everyone other than FOX and Trump. Studies show its viewership is less informed than people who don't even watch the news at all. You won't catch their reporters resigning because of fake news because fake news is all FOX does.

National Post, Globe & Mail, BBC, Ottawa Citizen, Toronto Star, Daily Mail, The Spectator, The Atlantic, The Telegraph, CNN, CBS, NBC, CBC, CBS, MSNBC, FOX, ABC, Euronews...

(1)Better a handful rather than none. All they were was just another bunch of swampster supporters and liars. Their own bosses need to start showing higher standards themselves because they no doubt told those reporters to go out and try to find something on Trump. Reporters are told as to what they are to go report on that day. They are not free to report as to what they want to report. They should have just stayed at their desks and played video games all day. They would probably still have a job. 

(2)So says that the guy who watches other fake news websites, and believes what they say as factual news. I watch FOX and I am pretty sure that I am being properly informed by people like Hannity and Carlson and Geraldo and the many other reliable guests that frequent their shows. Listening to both Joe Sourdough and his blond wife are quite amusing indeed. And I don't like Joe's hair style. He looks funny enough already without trying to compete with Trump and his hair style. 

(3)All left wing liberal news outlets all except for one and that is FOX. Geez, with you listening to FOX you would think by now that you would be able to show that you know something about politics. The CBC, CNN, MSNBC and The Toronto Star are not exactly pro-Trumpers by any means. They are what one would call fake news outlets, and are unreliable to want to listen to and hard to believe what they say. You really do need to get your head out of that liberal sandbox that you keep playing in. 

15 hours ago, Argus said:

BAM.  Yes, "Their own agencies" care about accuracy.  At a crossroads, any person and any organization has to choose between two principles: in this case, objectivity or popularity.

. Studies show its viewership is less informed than people who don't even watch the news at all.

I didn't know that.  FOX News is entertainment, and its job is to make the viewer feel good about the views they already have not to inform them.

That's a pretty good list.

15 hours ago, Omni said:

I don't always agree with Argus, but it seems we both have your number. Just saying.

If you can agree with someone else about sources of truth, then the discussion moves forward to discuss approaches to common problems.  If one side makes up its facts, and has its own public that follows those fakeisms as truth, then you end up with religious wars.  

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

If you can agree with someone else about sources of truth, then the discussion moves forward to discuss approaches to common problems.  If one side makes up its facts, and has its own public that follows those fakeisms as truth, then you end up with religious wars.  

I have often wondered if that wasn't FOX's intent. It is not so much a conservative outlook but a populist, rabble rousing organization devoted to convincing its followers that government is evil. Lately, whenever I flick to it among news channels it seems to be decrying the "bias' in the FBI, so this is clearly a theme they're strongly pushing. Make sure no one trusts government. Make sure no one likes government. Demand more tax cuts so government gets smaller. Government is evil! Everything it does is bad! Everyone who supports or works for government is evil!

7 minutes ago, Argus said:

I have often wondered if that wasn't FOX's intent. It is not so much a conservative outlook but a populist, rabble rousing organization devoted to convincing its followers that government is evil.

As much as I despise FOX, I disagree that that was their intent.  Their job is to make money, and they legitimately saw a huge untapped market and capitalized on it.

People who think you can plan 15 years into the future with accuracy or that the government planned 9-11 knowing that it would help them start a war to get Afghani oil have never done strategic planning, IMO.

Also - FOX is on the outside rim of 'real' news.  For example, their polling put Moore 10-points behind in the Alabama senate race which surely displeased their people.  They were even wrong in terms of margin so they're not exactly 'liars'.

7 minutes ago, Argus said:

Lately, whenever I flick to it among news channels it seems to be decrying the "bias' in the FBI, so this is clearly a theme they're strongly pushing. Make sure no one trusts government. Make sure no one likes government. Demand more tax cuts so government gets smaller. Government is evil! Everything it does is bad! Everyone who supports or works for government is evil!

The truth lies between the extreme.  Managing a 'public' is difficult and in some cases it's easier to capitalize on dissent.  I time discussing with people whose politics agrees with mine, trying to show them the flaws in their perceptions also.  The human inclination to look for an easy answer to a problem is useful to a point, but once the problem is solved, the discussion needs to change to more analysis and elaboration to improve on it.

For example, in Canada we have general agreement on socialized healthcare as a solution.  But as the system ages, a more detailed and nuanced discussion needs to emerge to deal with new problems.  Instead, people want to debate the arguments that got us here - arguments that were held in the past, that we moved on from.

American media, news or otherwise, dominates Canada.  Even the state broadcaster (CBC) relies heavily on U.S. content/sources (e.g. Associated Press). 

Canadian editorials (so called "analysis") are dominated by a neurotic focus on the Americans.

It is a very convenient way for Canadians to focus on "racism" in the U.S. while smugly ignoring it at home.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

28 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

American media, news or otherwise, dominates Canada.  Even the state broadcaster (CBC) relies heavily on U.S. content/sources (e.g. Associated Press). 

Yes.  I read the original Massey report, I think it was called, that discussed the encroachment of [American] mass media on Canadian culture.  It was mentioned that someday people may no longer remember the names of the great Canadian organists, who toured churches in those days.

Luckily, American mass media lost and those great Canadian organists are all still household names.

Canadian editorials (so called "analysis") are dominated by a neurotic focus on the Americans.

It's not neurosis if you're right.

It is a very convenient way for Canadians to focus on "racism" in the U.S. while smugly ignoring it at home.

Canada is no better at self-improvement than America, but it fails in different ways IMO.

17 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's not neurosis if you're right.

It is a neurosis if it displaces and substitutes for the reporting and "analysis" of Canadian "content".

Canadians were led to believe that Donald Trump could never win the election, mostly because not only did Canada consume lots of American media as usual, but more of the biased content that reinforced existing wannabe political leanings, parroted back by Canadian "analysis" wonks.   In the end, very wrong.

Canadians and their domestic media lived the American election season vicariously, because that's what (many, not all) neurotic Canadians do.   Americans do not seek to experience Canada's political races or environment.

9 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It is a neurosis if it displaces and substitutes for the reporting and "analysis" of Canadian "content".

Yes, I agree that's true.

Canadians were led to believe that Donald Trump could never win the election

Americans, too, especially democrats.

In the end, very wrong.

Also true.

10 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Americans do not seek to experience Canada's political races or environment.

With a notable exception.

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Americans, too, especially democrats.

Yes...that is exactly my point.   Many Canadians seek the American experience.

With a notable exception.

Now what if an entire nation did that ?    Neurosis.....