Shame: Trump = Shameless

August1991

What is shame?

(I reckon that Donald Trump, like many Native Americans, is shameless.)

In this modern American world, we have made this old English noun into a verb. When is it allowed "to shame" someone? (I prefer the adjective: ashamed.)

=======

If you speak another language than English, what is the translation of the word: shame. (In your language, is it possible "to shame" someone?) 

Edited by August1991

10 hours ago, August1991 said:

What is shame?

I always think of shame an an emotion when you are self conscious of having done something improper. It could also be in third person, the emotion associated with being conscious of someone else having done something improper. When in the third person, there is usually a connection with the third person (e.g. parent/child) that binds them.

11 hours ago, August1991 said:

In this modern American world, we have made this old English noun into a verb.

Yes, shame is also used as a verb, although I am not so sure that is only a recent development. Generally linguistic scholars look through old books and newspapers to find the first reference. The King James Version of the Bible is an early English text, and generally uses shame as a noun or in an idiom like "put to shame", I did a quick look and didn't see it used as a verb. It would be interesting to see if any modern translations have used it as a verb.

4 hours ago, betsy said:

Yep.  If you're unpolitically correct - and you don't care that the politically correct try to shame you - you're shameless.

No, intentionally lying and not caring even when people point out the lie, isn't being politically incorrect, it is just lying, and shameless.

On 2/21/2017 at 7:00 PM, -TSS- said:

Some people also confuse shame with embarassment.

I agree with ?Impact, shame and embarrassment are similar; but the word "shame" has a German origin and the word "embarrassment" is French.

When speaking English, I like words with a German birth. They are clear.

======

For the past few days, I have felt uncomfortable about my OP: Was I wrong to compare a shameless Trump with shameless "Native Americans"?

Yet, I am astonished that Trump is without shame; and many Natives/Aboriginals are also without shame.

Edited by August1991

9 hours ago, August1991 said:

Wilber, you are a true federal Liberal Canadian. Like Laurier, you find sunny ways to make 2+3 = 7.

No, I understand English. Shame is something you can feel on your own without anyone knowing anything. You need other people to be embarrassed. 

Embarrassment is an emotional state of intense discomfort with oneself, experienced when having a socially unacceptable act or condition witnessed by or revealed to others. Usually some amount of loss of honor or dignity is involved, but how much and the type depends on the embarrassing situation. It is similar to shame, except that shame may be experienced for an act known only to oneself. Also, embarrassment usually carries the connotation of being caused by an act that is merely socially unacceptable, rather than morally wrong.

Shame a painful feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior.

Edited by Wilber

Back to the OP,  Trump = shame

Betsy would have us believe that lying and being politically incorrect are the same thing, which is an insult to anyone who is not politically correct. It is just another example of some Trumpites upside down ethics. Being politically incorrect is just presenting opinions that run contrary to current norms, not making up things that don't exist or never happened and presenting them as facts. That's just lying.

I'm not positive Trump is shameless but he certainly often acts that way. Conway is definitely shameless and became a joke, so they have restricted her to friendly right wing interviewers only. I get the feeling Spicer does know the difference and struggles with it. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't  long in this job and either  resigns or has a breakdown.

Edited by Wilber
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2017 at 3:09 PM, Wilber said:

Back to the OP,  Trump = shame

Betsy would have us believe that lying and being politically incorrect are the same thing....

Wilber, like a typical liberal/Liberal in this 21st century world, you entirely miss the point of the OP.

Wilber, are you Gerald Butts?

Edited by August1991

If you want to discuss the word, fine but why inject Trump into it if you don't want to make him part of the conversation. In my opinion you can't shame someone because it is something only they can do to themselves. Someone who is shameless can't be made to feel shame, although they might be embarrassed. I don't know WTF this has anything to do with whether someone might be a liberal or not.

20 hours ago, August1991 said:

Wilber, like a typical liberal/Liberal in this 21st century world, you entirely miss the point of the OP.

You haven't noticed people usually DO miss the point of your indecipherable prognostications?

On 2/21/2017 at 1:13 AM, August1991 said:

What is shame?

(I reckon that Donald Trump, like many Native Americans, is shameless.)

In this modern American world, we have made this old English noun into a verb. When is it allowed "to shame" someone? (I prefer the adjective: ashamed.)

Here is an example, one of millions that could be made in English.

I think the US, indeed, all western nations and vast swaths of their citizens, are soon going to be shamed. 

If you lie to Congress about not meeting with the Russians, do you have any shame? If you are found out are you embarrassed? If you refuse to resign, where is your shame?

Will your boss fire you for lying to Congress, especially after he fired another one for lying to the Vice President? If he doesn't, does he have any shame?