Jump to content

Finding Posts with Likes


TimG

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Greg said:

Good question, I will look into it.

In the mean time, you can follow the leaderboard, which will show those with the most up votes: http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/leaderboard/

Yes but that does not show exactly which of thousands of posts got likes. That page turns it into a competition which exactly what we don't want. I would rather see that page deleted and replaced with a page that shows the 'liked' posts sorted time. 

I dislike such ranking systems because they encourage people to be partisan and ignore the quality and/or substance of the post and simply vote for it because they agree/disagree with it. I would rather see a system that encourage people to like posts based on substance rather than whether they agreed with it.

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Admin
19 minutes ago, TimG said:

That page turns it into a competition which exactly what we don't want.

We will have to wait and see what happens... As I mentioned in the announcement, this is an experiment. I'm willing to be flexible, but I want to give a bit of time and see how it all plays out.

21 minutes ago, TimG said:

I dislike such ranking systems because they encourage people to be partisan and ignore the quality and/or substance of the post and simply vote for it because they agree/disagree with it.

OK, so would replacing it with a simple up vote (basically, a like) work then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Greg said:

We will have to wait and see what happens... As I mentioned in the announcement, this is an experiment. I'm willing to be flexible, but I want to give a bit of time and see how it all plays out.

OK, so would replacing it with a simple up vote (basically, a like) work then?

IMO, a simple up vote would be better. 

Edit: I noticed I got a dislike for my post asking for "how to search". That is simply absurd.

Edited by TimG
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see any problem with a dislike button, only snowflakes would be offended by it. Having additional choices is fine as well (e.g. funny, interesting, etc.) but tend not to get much use. Having a running total for the user does not add much value, so if someone is offended by that then I have no problem not displaying that. The purpose of like/dislike is to show your agreement or disagreement with a post, not a popularity contest. Having only like is similar to the the coddling that so many in here are vocally against. It would be nice if you could see who voted how, nobody needs to hide their opinion.

  • Like 4
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

The purpose of like/dislike is to show your agreement or disagreement with a post, not a popularity contest.

I disagree with the premise. I could not care less whether people like or dislike a post because despite your claim otherwise it does simply become a partisan popularity contest where people on one side of an issue will like all the posts that say things they agree with and dislike those that say things they don't like. If we are to have a ranking system it should be based on the quality/thoughtfulness of the post and have nothing to do with whether someone agreed with the opinion expressed.

I would get rid of 'like' and replace with 'worthwhile' or 'thoughtful' or 'insightful' to make it clear when people should vote for a post.

Edited by TimG
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TimG said:

How do we search for the posts that got "likes"?

Why would you want to? You know that all that's going to happen is Lefties are going to downclick everything a conservative says and upclick everything one of their own says.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mowich said:

I like the new like/dislike feature.  I find it an quick easy way to let someone know I either support or oppose their statements. 

You could, I don't know, actually say so, and why. That is the purpose of this forum, after all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TimG said:

IMO, a simple up vote would be better. 

Edit: I noticed I got a dislike for my post asking for "how to search". That is simply absurd.

The dislikes accumulate. For example, I posted something a few seconds ago and it already had a -1 on it. So you could wind up having like -200 I suppose, unless conservatives emulate the Lefties and upvote everything from the right while downvoting everything posted by our renowned lefties.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Argus said:

You could, I don't know, actually say so, and why. That is the purpose of this forum, after all.

I could and I do when I have something useful to add to the discussion.  Simply repeating the thoughts of one by using different words doesn't, IMO, further it at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Argus said:

Why would you want to? You know that all that's going to happen is Lefties are going to downclick everything a conservative says and upclick everything one of their own says.

I was assuming the objective was to flag well written posts. If it is just a partisan cheer-leading mechanism then it is pointless.

33 minutes ago, Argus said:

The dislikes accumulate. For example, I posted something a few seconds ago and it already had a -1 on it. So you could wind up having like -200 I suppose, unless conservatives emulate the Lefties and upvote everything from the right while downvoting everything posted by our renowned lefties.

Progressives tend to form their opinions based on what other people think. Conservatives tend to have opinions based on principles and don't really care if they are popular. 

Edited by TimG
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Admin
38 minutes ago, TimG said:

If it is just a partisan cheer-leading mechanism then it is pointless.

That definitely wasn't the idea!

I'm hoping that it will help threads/postings that are of high quality be exposed to more eyeballs.

I've capped negative notes to 5 per day, positive votes to 20.  People can try to game the system, but we'll just have to see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Greg said:

I've capped negative notes to 5 per day, positive votes to 20.  People can try to game the system, but we'll just have to see.

Can you at least get rid of the 'community recommendation' on the profile page?.

It is unreasonable to label people based on whether a majority of people agree with their opinions.

If you want it to be used for something other than partisan cheer-leading you need to remove the incentive to vote because it affects the status of posters that someone disagrees with. If people vote for or against a post it should only affect that post.

The 'community recommendation' feature reminds me of the social media dsytopia in Black Mirror Season 3:
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/10/black-mirror-nosedive-review-season-three-netflix/504668/

 

Edited by TimG
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TimG said:

Progressives tend to form their opinions based on what other people think. Conservatives tend to have opinions based on principles and don't really care if they are popular. 

Such a generalization.   I've upvoted one conservative type today; will I be tossed from the Liberal cabal? :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dialamah said:

Such a generalization.   I've upvoted one conservative type today; will I be tossed from the Liberal cabal? :)

You have to have a thick skin to express conservative ideas in today's Canada. The left is very quick to label people who disagree with them as sexist/racist/anti-science/etc. 

That said, it is good you are using the feature in the way it is meant to be used.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TimG said:

That said, it is good you are using the feature in the way it is meant to be used

You either like a post or you don't, thumbs up/thumbs down.  I don't think we'll be able to control how people interpret that.

I don't care if people like my opinions or not.  It changes nothing.

Edited by Moonlight Graham
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Greg said:

That definitely wasn't the idea!

I'm hoping that it will help threads/postings that are of high quality be exposed to more eyeballs.

 

No!

What's "high quality," is highly subjective.  It depends on who's reading, and who's pushing that button.

 

As an example, I don't want to name names....but we've just had a slew of topics from someone who posted childish OP....and she is found to have high quality postings?  Her rating is neutral!

 

This reputation rating is an ASSASSINATION method for those who have opposing views from the majority in this forum!

 

Edited by betsy
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's the point of devoting time, creating any threads....that's what I'm thinking now?

I surely am not liberal, and I don't feel I have to appease others here by stifling myself....just so to get the "approval" of fellow-members.  Surely, all my threads will be poorly rated! 

 

In other words, this is an attempt to cleansing views, forum-like.

Edited by betsy
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dialamah said:

Such a generalization.   I've upvoted one conservative type today; will I be tossed from the Liberal cabal? :)

In the other forum, some leftists gave me likes....and I gave some likes to leftists too.  Depends on what's being said.

The like feature helps in different ways.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,744
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    Mark Partiwaka
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

    • DUI_Offender earned a badge
      Very Popular
    • exPS went up a rank
      Explorer
    • Fluffypants went up a rank
      Rising Star
    • exPS earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • gatomontes99 went up a rank
      Proficient
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...