Trudeau invites refugees to Canada, taunts Trump

Argus

Immigration is meant to serve Canada not the other way round. I can see some people being admitted to Canada if they can prove that they will be persecuted in their home countries but opening the gate will be wrong. We must not allow certain culture or cultures dominate this country by more than a few percentage point as otherwise our democratic free way of life may be badly disturbed by a mass flow (considering that most of those persecuted are from certain region).

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Smallc said:

Many?  You've taken a poll then?  How do we quantify 'many'?

I quantify "many" as a percentage of Canadian comments to the specific issue of President Trump's ban on U.S. travel from seven countries.

It's false to present that Canada is united behind PM Trudeau and his tweets./comments about the issue.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

CBC reader comments from many Canadians say otherwise.   Many fully support President Trump's decision to do what he thinks is best to protect his nation and wish Trudeau had the courage to do the same for Canada.    

What is many?? and what was the question exactly? Do a majority of Canadians say that for example landed immigrants from Muslim countries must be banned from exercising their right as an immigrant to enter the country and  just because they happen to be a citizen of a certain country? I don't think they are many and those who do are associated with fascist organizations abroad who discriminate based on race, religion and national origin none of which is anyone's fault or doing.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Then back up your claim about a united Canada behind Trudeau's stupid tweet.   Tell all those Canadian voices they don't count.

No no, you told me 'many' Canadians were with Trump - now quantify that.

But here - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadians-still-see-immigration-in-positive-light-study-finds/article32508784/

Maybe you quantify 'many' as 20%?

Just now, Smallc said:

But here - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadians-still-see-immigration-in-positive-light-study-finds/article32508784/

"Many Canadians" were criticizing Trudeau for stupid and expensive refugee policies long before Trump was ever elected.   Do you think they suddenly fell in love with Trudeau's asinine policies just because Trump banned U.S. travel from seven nations ?

1 hour ago, Smallc said:

So, when you have people from every party in Canada coming out against this ban, making it clear that Canadians are generally United in their opposition,

If the comment sections of the main newspapers is any indication Canadians are FAR from united against this ban. And the point you continue to ignore is that the prime minister's statements are taken as Canada's statements. Trump and his allies aren't going to give a damn what some nobody opposition person said. They will take notice of what Trudeau says, though. And that could cost us.

20 minutes ago, Smallc said:

The question was pretty broad. It asked if immigration was good for Canada. It did not ask if people thought we had the right number of immigrants or if they were the right kind. I don't think I've met anyone who wants to completely end immigration. At the same time I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't think the immigration system could be much improved through some fairly obvious changes.

Further, there is a vast ignorance among Canadians about the cost of immigration, and the problems. The media, ALL of it, without exception, is heavily pro immigration, as are all political parties. There is nowhere for unflattering information about immigration or refugees to be disseminated, and no public person who would be willing to do so.

Edited by Argus

23 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

"Many Canadians" were criticizing Trudeau for stupid and expensive refugee policies long before Trump was ever elected.   Do you think they suddenly fell in love with Trudeau's asinine policies just because Trump banned U.S. travel from seven nations ?

It happens, look at how you've fallen in love with Trump.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Argus said:

If the comment sections of the main newspapers is any indication Canadians are FAR from united against this ban. And the point you continue to ignore is that the prime minister's statements are taken as Canada's statements. Trump and his allies aren't going to give a damn what some nobody opposition person said. They will take notice of what Trudeau says, though. And that could cost us.

That would be fine, except that Trudeau and Canada are far from the only people/places against this ban.

And yes - Canadians are largely united against it.  There is never unanimity in a democracy.

10 minutes ago, Argus said:

The question was pretty broad. It asked if immigration was good for Canada. It did not ask if people thought we had the right number of immigrants or if they were the right kind. I don't think I've met anyone who wants to completely end immigration. At the same time I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't think the immigration system could be much improved through some fairly obvious changes.

I have doubts that you're being truthful.  Canada's immigration is among the world's most successful, if not the world's most successful.

6 minutes ago, Smallc said:

I have doubts that you're being truthful.  Canada's immigration is among the world's most successful, if not the world's most successful.

What do you have your doubts I'm being truthful about? Everything I've stated, be it about demographics, economic success or costs has been backed up by cites from mainstream sources. And here's another fact for you. Canadian immigrants routinely have higher unemployment rates than those born here. American immigrants have lower unemployment rates than those born in America.

Edited by Argus

1 minute ago, Smallc said:

When Charles Adler, Jason Kenney, and Erin O'toole all side with Justin Trudeau and in fact go further in their statements, you know you're not on the right side of this if you're for it.

Who is on the wrong side of what? I've said this ban is stupid. This thread is not about the wisdom of banning people from seven Muslim countries. It's about the wisdom of our leader taunting Trump and inviting the world's migrants to come to Canada.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

What do you have your doubts I'm being truthful about? Everything I've stated, be it about demographics, economic success or costs has been backed up by cites from mainstream sources.

You said you've never met anyone who thought the immigration system was doing well.  That isn't something you can cite.

Just now, Smallc said:

You said you've never met anyone who thought the immigration system was doing well.  That isn't something you can cite.

What I said was I've never met anyone who doesn't think the immigration system could be improved upon, who doesn't have a problem with some of the types of immigrants coming here. 

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

Who is on the wrong side of what? I've said this ban is stupid. 

Funny, because on the previous page you've tried to find a way to slag Trudeau for speaking out (in the most diplomatic way possible) against the ban (by saying not all Canadians are against it), and for outlining Canada's long standing position.  Pick a position.

Edited by Smallc

Just now, Argus said:

What I said was I've never met anyone who doesn't think the immigration system could be improved upon, who doesn't have a problem with some of the types of immigrants coming here. 

That first part is a cop out - everything can always be improved upon.

The second part could easily be disproven - Canada's governments have never taken that position, and there's a reason for that.

Just now, Smallc said:

Funny, because just above you've tried to find a way to slag Trudeau for speaking out (in the most diplomatic way possible) against the ban (by saying not all Canadians are against it), and for outlining Canada's long standing position.  Pick a position.

I pointed out there was no unity on the issue as evidenced by what I've read in the comments section. You can verify that for yourself if you like. And there was no reason whatsoever for Trudeau to take to twitter to point out, in the most sanctimonious and preciously politically correct way possible, how much more enlightened we are than America, while at the same time inviting hordes of migrants to come here.

Just now, Smallc said:

That first part is a cop out - everything can always be improved upon.

The second part could easily be disproven - Canada's governments have never taken that position, and there's a reason for that.

The immigration system is an expensive mess but no one is allowed to talk about its many problems. What is disproven? Go ahead. Disprove something I've said. You've never been able to do so before.