CPC 2017: Bernier vs Alexander

Who will lead the federal Conservatives in June 2017?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Is you value continually slagging others, and offering nothing yourself? Just like when Ignatieff was leader of the Liberals, the only thing on conservative.ca was their `Just Visiting` bull, and now it is mostly slagging Trudeau. Conservative stand for nothing, they are simply angry.

And liberals were not angry when Harper was in ?, "Remember the Anything but Harper Campaign" Liberals are always talking out the side of their months.....lots of mumbling going on....but nothing of any real sense.   

5 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Is you value continually slagging others, and offering nothing yourself? Just like when Ignatieff was leader of the Liberals, the only thing on conservative.ca was their `Just Visiting` bull, and now it is mostly slagging Trudeau. Conservative stand for nothing, they are simply angry.

And that is a prime example of the disconnect.........people like you feel its governments role to "offer stuff" to voters versus "returning stuff".........The party stands for plenty, any emotion that is projected is simply a reflection of the voting public........Liberals and the NDP were "angry" at Harper too, the difference now, Trudeau's promise of everything to everyone is just going to result in more people being angry when reality returns.............if O'Leary becomes the leader, as I said last year, he will be best poised to focus then benefit from said anger.........just like Trump.

19 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Compare liberal.ca to conservative.ca, at any time in history. The conservative party is not about anything positive, they are simply about whining.

Conservatives don't worship government as the solution to every problem. All they want from government is to do what needs doing as efficiently and effectively as possible and otherwise stay the hell out of our way. That's obviously a different attitude from liberals, who look to government as mommy, to take care of every want and imagined need.

No good place for amateur theater? Have government build one! People calling each other names? Have government ban it! Does some immigrant's grandma miss them? Why, let them come over! Government can pay to support them! Are kids putting offensive lemonade stands up on corners!? Have government ban them! Are people ten thousand miles away having trouble getting abortions? Have government give them money! Do people with summer jobs not want to work in the winter? Have government pay to support them half the year! Regulations! We need rules and regulations of everything imaginable! Government can impose them! Hey, some people aren't being hired in the same numbers as white men! Have government force people to hire them! Better yet, have the government hire them! Oh, wait, nobody is buying the crummy art from artists! Have government support them! Hey, this community has high unemployment! Have government pay companies to locate there! Companies aren't investing in enough technology. Have government pay them! Some people aren't investing enough for their retirement! Have government take their money away and invest it for them!

Johnny was mean to me! Have government do something about him!

Liberals are perpetual snowflakes who never grew up and want government to be their mother and take care of everything for them and make it better. And nothing makes them more enraged at conservatives than conservatives not wanting to pay to support one of their causes.

Edited by Argus

Bernier is blowing everyone out of the water on fundraising:

The numbers further cement Bernier and Leitch as the top financial draws in the campaign, with Bernier's year-end total tipping over the $1 million mark thanks to his final quarter and Leitch sitting second at about $805,000 raised during 2016. Michael Chong is third at $442,702 raised in 2016, with Scheer coming up behind him after a single quarter as a candidate.

The fundraising figures could shift in the final few months before the leadership vote with businessman Kevin O'Leary entering the race in January.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smallc said:

That was, of course, before O'Leary got into the race...

And that, of course, is noted in the passage I quoted.....If O'Leary is able to raise over a Million in the next couple of months, and get such a diverse level of support as Bernier, then it will be a much closer race......I know he raised a whack of money during a 24 hour blitz, but what I don't know, is if this will continue and translate into party memberships intent on voting for O'Leary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derek 2.0 said:

And that, of course, is noted in the passage I quoted.....If O'Leary is able to raise over a Million in the next couple of months, and get such a diverse level of support as Bernier, then it will be a much closer race......I know he raised a whack of money during a 24 hour blitz, but what I don't know, is if this will continue and translate into party memberships intent on voting for O'Leary.

Yes it will.  

• Like 1

Ivison, another commonsense Scot such as myself, see's it too:

Increasingly, it appears that if the Conservative party is not destined to be led by O’Leary, other candidates and their supporters will have to rally around Maxime Bernier, who has run a textbook campaign and raised more money than anyone else.

Given the amount of cash and energy expended to get this far, it is unlikely deals will be done before the convention in May. Even then, no-one can guarantee their supporters will transfer their affections to their preferred candidate, so it remains O’Leary’s contest to lose.

And his reason, of which I agree if the Tories are unable to form government in 2019 (as opposed to say put Trudeau in a weakened minority) is this:

The Conservative Party of Canada remains a loose confederation of warring tribes. I’m not convinced it would survive having Kevin O’Leary as leader.

If its to take two elections to form government, Bernier is the man.......I doubt O'Leary would stick around if he "lost" an election, all the while, the party could tear itself apart.

And that is why I'll be voting for Bernier and won't mark my ballot for O'Leary (or Leitch) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

What? 

Kevin O'Leary has since said he has sold 9000 memberships.

Kevin O'Leary doesn't "sell" party memberships, he, like the other candidates link to the CPC generic registration......maybe ~9000 people have visited his website? Or maybe ~9000 people have joined after he entered the race....granted, that could be people joining the party to vote against Kevin O'Leary.

Let's assume though that he has got 9000 people to join that intended to support him, that would represent ~10-15% of party members........what regions and ridings are these supporters in? Are they concentrated or spread out?

None the less, I will watch tonight's debate and see how O'Leary does  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Derek 2.0 said:

Kevin O'Leary doesn't "sell" party memberships, he, like the other candidates link to the CPC generic registration......maybe ~9000 people have visited his website? Or maybe ~9000 people have joined after he entered the race....granted, that could be people joining the party to vote against Kevin O'Leary.

Let's assume though that he has got 9000 people to join that intended to support him, that would represent ~10-15% of party members........what regions and ridings are these supporters in? Are they concentrated or spread out?

None the less, I will watch tonight's debate and see how O'Leary does  

Wrong. If they have it setup properly they sell membership through their website which tracks the numbers for them. 

13 minutes ago, Argus said:

I honestly think most of them should drop out. It's impossible to get a sense of people with so many candidates. Bernier, Lietch, O'Toole, Scheer, and O'Leary can stay. The rest need to go.

I disagree.......unless someone wins outright (50% +1) in the first round, the follow on rounds are where the wheeling and dealing take place.......

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Argus said:

I honestly think most of them should drop out. It's impossible to get a sense of people with so many candidates. Bernier, Lietch, O'Toole, Scheer, and O'Leary can stay. The rest need to go.

I only caught a few minutes of the speeches last night, and the stupid CBC didn't put the names of the nameless on screen while they were talking but it was the nameless that seemed the most reasonable of the bunch.

• Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Derek 2.0 said:

I disagree.......unless someone wins outright (50% +1) in the first round, the follow on rounds are where the wheeling and dealing take place.......

Uh huh. The kind of wheeling and dealing which gave us Joe Clark as leader?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derek 2.0 said:

The writing is on the wall for most of them.  They can't get name recognition or funding, they need to fold their tent and go home so a debate with more substance can take place.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

Except there is no wheeling and dealing. It's a preferential ballot.

I know, there's plenty still. As people pull out, they will be encouraged to endorse other candidates. Even now, those in the basement of the race are/will be courted before the ballot in finalized next month.

1 hour ago, Derek 2.0 said:

I know, there's plenty still. As people pull out, they will be encouraged to endorse other candidates. Even now, those in the basement of the race are/will be courted before the ballot in finalized next month.

At this point it doesn't appear that many will drop out prior to the ballot being finalized or convention. 

• Like 1