Black Rights Activist on Canadian $10 bill

4 hours ago, ?Impact said:

What is the difference between her and the American 'hero' who wouldn't give up her seat on the bus? Rosa Parks is highly celebrated for her actions by all but the KKK. What is your problem with Viola Desmond? How is this infinitesimally small recognition of her actions going to ruin your life? 

Argus probably doesn't think much of Rosa Parks either...   he seems to think that civil rights movements are unimportant and that the individuals who struggled for the greater good don't deserve recognition.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

What stinky hole did you pull that one out of. There was a nomination process and and an evaluation committee that came up with this result. You are now creating your own criteria based on her skin color.

And the evaluation committee was made up of the same fellow travelers as you would no doubt be comfortable with.

And my opposition to paternalistically finding some woman to 'honor' is on record from when this was first discussed six months ago and has nothing to do with colour.

Edited by Argus

4 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

Argus probably doesn't think much of Rosa Parks either...   he seems to think that civil rights movements are unimportant and that the individuals who struggled for the greater good don't deserve recognition.

Argus believes in merit for all honors. I understand why YOU would oppose such a concept, of course.

30 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I think you misintepreted my last sentence there.

I am more focused on: Exactly.  Not really Earth shattering.  Let's face it, she just got a bit pissed off one day.  That's about it.

The more I learn about Viola Desmond, the more that statement reeks. Why do you feel compelled to belittle this lady? Are you not satisfied that she was violently attacked and hurt by a theater usher? Are you not satisfied that she was forced to spend a night in a male jail cell for a crime she did not commit? Are you not satisfied that she was not accorded a fair trial? Are you not satisfied that she was robbed by the province of her hard earned money? Are you not satisfied that the province ruined her life, and caused her to flee the province? Are you not satisfied that she was given a criminal record that she did not deserve? What exactly would satisfy you?

5 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

I am more focused on: Exactly.  Not really Earth shattering.  Let's face it, she just got a bit pissed off one day.  That's about it.

The more I learn about Viola Desmond, the more that statement reeks. Why do you feel compelled to belittle this lady?

Why do you feel the need to belittle Sir John A MacDonald?

5 minutes ago, Argus said:

Why do you feel the need to belittle Sir John A MacDonald?

He was a drunkard. If you have any information about Viola Desmond's abuse of alcohol, then please share it.

He was at the center of a bribery scandal, with rich industrialists bribing his party to influence building of the railway - he bears responsibility. In the Viola Desmond scandal, she is the victim. Are you able to see the difference?

I used the career politician and immigrant issues, not because I think they are important but you and others continually raise them.

24 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

The more I learn about Viola Desmond, the more that statement reeks. Why do you feel compelled to belittle this lady? Are you not satisfied that she was violently attacked and hurt by a theater usher? Are you not satisfied that she was forced to spend a night in a male jail cell for a crime she did not commit? Are you not satisfied that she was not accorded a fair trial? Are you not satisfied that she was robbed by the province of her hard earned money? Are you not satisfied that the province ruined her life, and caused her to flee the province? Are you not satisfied that she was given a criminal record that she did not deserve? What exactly would satisfy you?

Yes, now that I pointed out your misunderstanding on the sentence you were previously focused on, you have a new one that you are more focused on.  I think you really are starting to own the whole "get over yourself" thing.  You just can't take a difference of opinion, can you?  I'm satisfied with the historical record, whatever it was, but it stiill seems to me that she just got pissed off one day.  I'm not belittling her.  I'm glad she got pissed off.  Did you think it bothered me?  Did you think I was of the opinion that she should have known her place?

Or do you think I am just surprised that, given the decision to honour a female on the new $10 bill, she was the woman chosen?

Edited by bcsapper

43 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

He was a drunkard. If you have any information about Viola Desmond's abuse of alcohol, then please share it.

He was at the center of a bribery scandal, with rich industrialists bribing his party to influence building of the railway - he bears responsibility. In the Viola Desmond scandal, she is the victim. Are you able to see the difference?

I used the career politician and immigrant issues, not because I think they are important but you and others continually raise them.

Churchill liked a drop or two as well, and that probably was one of the least of his problems.  Historically speaking he was one the most important people of the 20th century and thotoughly deserves his place on the £5 note. 

Edited by bcsapper

18 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Or do you think I am just surprised that, given the decision to honour a female on the new $10 bill, she was the woman chosen?

I know, right ?   Is her act of minor civil disobedience the pinnacle of female accomplishments and import in all of Canada's history ?  

Please tell me that Canada has something more. These $10 notes are on trial for their lives. Please tell me that the committee hasn't pinned their hopes to Viola Desmond.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Argus believes in merit for all honors. I understand why YOU would oppose such a concept, of course.

No.  I put merit in what she did.  You don't.  We have a very different set of values.  

3 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

You mean like a lazy woman who sewed only 5 points onto the stars instead of 6. How many Americans idolize Betsy Ross for that?

You're saying they shouldn't?  Because she was white?

3 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

You mean like a lazy woman who sewed only 5 points onto the stars instead of 6. How many Americans idolize Betsy Ross for that?

Betsy Ross is not on U.S. notes.   The most bizarre thing is that this discussion doesn't even happen but for Rosa Parks, years later in another country !

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Betsy Ross is not on U.S. notes.   The most bizarre thing is that this discussion doesn't even happen but for Rosa Parks, years later in another country !

No, but what percentage of Americans (no not those illegal Canadians living there) know who Betsy Ross is? Ok, at least think they know who she is but are most likely weak on the facts.

What percentage of Canadians know who Viola Desmond is? I bet you even after last weeks announcement I could stand on a street corner in Toronto/Montreal/Calgary and ask 1000 people and if even one knew her name I would be floored. If I asked about Betsy Ross on the street corner in the US, and probably 90% would have some kind of response. The answers would be amusing however.

You are right however, the extreme violence of Americans (mostly in the south) brought civil rights into the national spotlight. The more subtle racism in Canada went along largely unnoticed.

1 minute ago, ?Impact said:

No, but what percentage of Americans (no not those illegal Canadians living there) know who Betsy Ross is? Ok, at least think they know who she is but are most likely weak on the facts.

A few of the older ones, but they are dying out fast.    Knowledge of Betsy and sewing skills are severely lacking in today's youth.

What percentage of Canadians know who Viola Desmond is? I bet you even after last weeks announcement I could stand on a street corner in Toronto/Montreal/Calgary and ask 1000 people and if even one knew her name I would be floored. If I asked about Betsy Ross on the street corner in the US, and probably 90% would have some kind of response. The answers would be amusing however.

All the more reason this "decision" is even more pathetic.   Many Americans do know of Rosa Parks.

You are right however, the extreme violence of Americans (mostly in the south) brought civil rights into the national spotlight. The more subtle racism in Canada went along largely unnoticed.

Nothing subtle about it.   Canada never had an equivalent civil rights movement or public consciousness.   Can't make it all better with a token gesture on $10 notes now.

1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

He was a drunk? So what? So was Churchill. They were great men. Bribery? Yeah, well, things were done differently back then on the frontier, weren't they now.

The point remains he accomplished great things.  Viola lost a lawsuit and opened a beauty school. Bit whoop.

45 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

No.  I put merit in what she did.  You don't.  We have a very different set of values.  

My values don't depend on the colour or gender of the person involved. Yours do.

Edited by Argus

23 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

What percentage of Canadians know who Viola Desmond is?

She was a beautician. Should we put all beauticians in the history books or just the Black ones?

Edited by Argus

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Yes, now that I pointed out your misunderstanding on the sentence you were previously focused on, you have a new one that you are more focused on.

SJWs are always enraged whenever anyone dares to disagree with their noble beliefs. After all, their beliefs arise from their superior morality and inclusiveness than those of icky regular, people.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

My values don't depend on the colour or gender of the person involved. Yours do.

My values consider people who led in the civil rights movement as to be worthy of some honour.   You think they should have just been happy with their station...?

24 minutes ago, The_Squid said:

My values consider people who led in the civil rights movement as to be worthy of some honour.   You think they should have just been happy with their station...?

She didn't lead in anything. She filed a lawsuit against her $26 fine, lost and returned to being a beautician. There was no appeal and it didn't go to the supreme court. It was supremely unimportant insofar as ending discrimination in Canada. She is certainly no Rosa Parks.

Edited by Argus

39 minutes ago, Argus said:

SJWs are always enraged whenever anyone dares to disagree with their noble beliefs. After all, their beliefs arise from their superior morality and inclusiveness than those of icky regular, people.

Exactly.  My surprise at the choice is because she is black, not because it's a surprising choice.