Using Quotes.

betsy

I just got back from getting suspended - for not using quotes with my posted articles.

What are these?  " "

The post that got me suspended had these quote marks!  I tried using

......they mess up the whole post. I mentioned that to Kimmy!   Like these ones:

You can't write anything else below after you use that blasted quote.  It quotes everything below it.  No feedback.

So with that last post, I used quotation marks instead!  What's wrong with quotation marks? 

I was also suspended for "topic bumping."  I asked what the heck that means....nobody explained.  Trying to figure out the new curves (with no assistance), and trying to post in compliance to the ever changing rules, has become far more a distraction from having any discussion. 

I think I get the silent message though........

Edited by betsy

41 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Strange, Betsy, that this post looks absolutely fine and readable.  Keep it up, thanks.

Read again! Am I talking about this post???

Did you go to those links to see what I'm talking about?????

Is that how you try to fix the problem now?  Somebody gives you the link to show the problem....and you don't go.  Instead you try to twist it?

What happened to you? :huh:

Anyway.....

You never did answer what the heck is wrong about using these quotation marks  - " "!

Are they no longer sufficient?

Edited by betsy

2 hours ago, GostHacked said:

How does one break up a quote to insert their responses without embedding them into the quoted post ...

Obviously not by using ctrl-enter like I just did, that automatically saves your post. I was reading in the invision forum that if you use double-enter it would break it up but that didn't work and I was experimenting other alternatives.

Edited by ?Impact

2 hours ago, GostHacked said:

How does one break up a quote to insert their responses without embedding them into the quoted post ...

I will use this duplicate post to link to the actual editor I believe is being used in the forum software, it is called CKEditor, and is an open source product that is highly configurable with lots of extensions available. 

Edited by ?Impact

The quote function is a mess.  The Mods should try testing out a few.... editing the, etc to figure out the issues.

I mentioned the quote function issues once already.  I don't think people should be suspended for the quote function being a mess and not wanting to use it.

16 hours ago, The_Squid said:

The quote function is a mess.  The Mods should try testing out a few.... editing the, etc to figure out the issues.

I mentioned the quote function issues once already.  I don't think people should be suspended for the quote function being a mess and not wanting to use it.

I just quoted this - once - by hitting the QUOTE button...

19 hours ago, ?Impact said:

I will use this duplicate post to link to the actual editor I believe is being used in the forum software, it is called CKEditor, and is an open source product that is highly configurable with lots of extensions available. 

16 hours ago, The_Squid said:

7 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

2 carriage returns

I just multi-quoted these 3 posts using the + sign on the left bottom part of the box.

All of this on Chrome, on my new MacBook Air FYI.

28 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I just multi-quoted these 3 posts using the + sign on the left bottom part of the box.

All of this on Chrome, on my new MacBook Air FYI.

Not the same thing. Breaking up a single quote, compared to quoting multiple replies.  But not surprised you did not get that.

38 minutes ago, Charles Anthony said:

2 carriage returns

It does not seem to always work.

15 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Not the same thing. Breaking up a single quote, compared to quoting multiple replies.  But not surprised you did not get that.

nruter egairrac 1

It does not seem to always work.

Yup.  Something is quirky. 

I have no idea why my typing appeared backwards up above.  Any ideas anybody??   This happend 2wice while trying to reply in the same spot an only there. 

36 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

Yes, I'm a little slow sometimes, but I don't play dumb...

I was just replying to The_Squid not the other problems...

But as you can see above I posted a test and was able to break up the quotes quite easily by modifying the HTML a little on the 'Source' page.  Maybe not an option for a lot of posters but it seems pretty straightforward to me.  

I feel like the [BBCode] was maybe easier for novices to master - maybe Greg can bring that back ?  Not sure if it's supported.

31 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

But as you can see above I posted a test and was able to break up the quotes quite easily by modifying the HTML a little on the 'Source' page.  Maybe not an option for a lot of posters but it seems pretty straightforward to me.

Yes, the problem is related to the WYSIWYG editor, not basic HTML editing. I expect most of us want to rely on the editor itself to do the work.

b.t.w., before the upgrade there was an option to put the editor into HTML source mode but that seems to have disappeared after the upgrade. Since I never really used it before I didn't really miss it but if it is come configurable option then that would be nice to know. 

The main capability I would like to do on quoting is use it for external quotes and then add after the 'Quote' message where I sourced it from, and who said it. For example below, I would like to put in a link to the CKEditor About page on the Quote line, and if I was quoting someone in particular then I would put their name and possibly date they said it.

CKEditor is a ready-for-use HTML text editor designed to simplify web content creation.

On 11/5/2016 at 3:50 PM, Michael Hardner said:

Hi Betsy - I did it and it was really easy.  Just 'grab' the quoted section and drag it down, then type in between.  You can use the WYSIWYG for that.

But, yes, I think we should have BB Code and not force people to edit HTML if they're unfamiliar.

The BB code function allows you put something in the post, but there is nothing in there to edit when clicked, just a blank screen.

One should NOT need to know HTML to break quotes up properly.