Cultural accommodation where child marriage is the issue

I do understand that is oversimplfying the issue, but I tend to look at issues from the perspective of the individuals involved, not the groups.

You cannot make public policy based on individuals cases or situations.

You cannot make public policy based on individuals cases or situations.

That's what I meant when I said still against it, but not as comfortably so. I'm not advocating changing the rules because of the effects the policy might have on a few individuals. I would advocate some common sense and compassion when enforcing them, though.

• 5 months later...

The state of New York has introduced legislation this week to raise the legal age for marriage from 14 to 17 (and the bill is being met with resistance), so it isn't exactly something that only happens in developing nations. Not that I'm agreeing with the practice, but it isn't as far removed from Western values as people might think.

New York Times Legal for 14 Year Olds to Marry

On 9/30/2016 at 10:01 AM, DogOnPorch said:

The Prophet married a six year old. It's okay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisha

Thats ok, when the Christian god made females from one of Adams ribs he made them ready to get #$%ked and make a baby at age 10-13. Not surprising that the three Abrahamic religions are so disgusting - that despicable maggot Abraham was going to casually burn his son to death because voices in his head told him to.

Edited by dre
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, dre said:

Thats ok, when the Christian god made females from one of Adams ribs he made them ready to get #$%ked and make a baby at age 10-13. Not surprising that the three Abrahamic religions are so disgusting - that despicable maggot Abraham was going to casually burn his son to death because voices in his head told him to.

Hey, just like Vince Li!

1 hour ago, dre said:

And you wonder why Islam admires Abraham.

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

So what is Christianities stance on Abraham? What do the Jews think? Would be nice to compare. But that might show you something you don't want to acknowledge.

Eid is a very important Islamic holiday.

• Downvote 1

On 9/30/2016 at 11:25 AM, The_Squid said:

They're children who are being abused... the state should take them away and find parents for them... not leave them with a pedophile because they're "married".

ETA:

And the "husband" (pedophile) should be immediately jailed and then deported.

Pretty much how I see it.

From the article,

Elsewhere, poor families might marry off their young daughters in exchange for dowries.

It's interesting how the sorts of people who will worryingly point to the grim socio-economic reality of poor Islamic families and their daughters will just as sagely pontificate about how greed is good and seem utterly oblivious to virtually ANY consequences stemming from that Golden Rule.

Once you've decided its okay for economics to trump virtue in one or two cases you've pretty much given the nod in any case - like supporting terrorists or dictators, if you're in it for a penny you're in it for a pound and you deserve everything you get in return, especially the angst.  That's the price of living according to really loose principles.  Far too many people in our capitalistic world simply lack the moral or ethical background to treat an issue like this in any meaningful way.

What's the solution? Stop trying to maintain conservative and right-wing views and become more left-wing in your outlook. It's called being progressive.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, eyeball said:

....What's the solution? Stop trying to maintain conservative and right-wing views and become more left-wing in your outlook. It's called being progressive.

Progressives have their own version of the same thing....they are only better at deluding themselves otherwise.