U.S. Border Drama For Canadian Pot Smokers

More high drama at the U.S. border for Canadians who admit to smoking cannabis. U.S. border agents can deny entry for anything, so why is this big news ? The "barred for life part" ?

A CBC analyst opines that being barred entry for life reduces employee value:

If you are not an American, and a U.S. customs and Border Patrol Service agent learns you have ever admitted taking so much as a single puff of marijuana, that agent can bar you from travelling to the United States for life, potentially ruining holidays, and greatly reducing your value as an employee in vast sectors of the Canadian economy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/marijuana-border-customs-answers-1.3755979

Do job applications in Canada query for lifetime bans on entering the United States ?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An easy way around this is to never use drugs. If this reduces the employment value of some one who has used pot, it makes me more valuable. I see it as a win.

I agree, but border bans can apply for many other things. I can't believe that employment in "vast sectors of the Canadian economy" is dependent on being able to go to Disneyland.

Not so much job applications but your ability to advance in your career will be severely limited if you can't visit the US for customer meetings, trade conferences and similar kinds of events.

Seriously ? Career advancement for my peers and I was never dependent on travel across the Canadian border. Guess I just can't relate to this fundamental expectation and requirement. The dope thing is secondary.

Not after bragging about it on social media. That's why it is called "dope".

Is it even possible to get a job without an FB page these days? Apparently some employers insist on seeing it before hiring you. What if you don't have one, what kind of alarms does that raise?

Edited by eyeball

More high drama at the U.S. border for Canadians who admit to smoking cannabis. U.S. border agents can deny entry for anything, so why is this big news ?

My question, if border agents are able to ban a Canadian from entry for life (absent applying for and receiving an exemption from the US Government) if they admit to prior Pot use.........how did our Prime Minister gain entry for his Washington DC photo-op? Did he receive said exemption, and if so, did Canadian taxpayers pay for it?

Edited by Derek 2.0

My question, if border agents are able to ban a Canadian from entry for life (absent applying for and receiving an exemption from the US Government) if they admit to prior Pot use.........how did our Prime Minister gain entry for his Washington DC photo-op? Did he receive said exemption, and if so, did Canadian taxpayers pay for it?

Pretty sure there's already a regime in place exempting heads of state/government and high level diplomats from a lot of entry requirements all around the world.

Diplomatic immunity. John Lennon was deported too, but he insisted on crossing the border anyway, and we know how that story ended.

Pretty sure there's already a regime in place exempting heads of state/government and high level diplomats from a lot of entry requirements all around the world.

Is there though? I know for instance there is diplomatic leeway for entering the United States if one is traveling to New York to go to the UN...likewise a member (and their family) of an embassy.........but, and I could be wrong, I doubt there is some accord that allows recreational drug use related laws to be cast aside for those seeking entry into the United States.......

Clearly something was waived to allow Trudeau entry, I just want to know what and if we payed for it.........

Sure, and that goes back to diplomatic immunity........it doesn't allow someone to forgo US law, personal inviolability is but convention.......and there is no expectation that any level of US law enforcement won't uphold the law........ergo, Joe-Blow Canadian that admits to being a reefer addict can't enter the United States because he broke Federal US laws, but Trudeau can.......

Like I mused, something was waived for Trudeau, versus the guy that wanted to go see Mickey with his kid.....I just want to know what was waived and the mechanism that allowed Trudeau entry.

....Like I mused, something was waived for Trudeau, versus the guy that wanted to go see Mickey with his kid.....I just want to know what was waived and the mechanism that allowed Trudeau entry.

I don't think Trudeau had to cross the border in the conventional way. He was invited to a state dinner by his American host.

I don't think Trudeau had to cross the border in the conventional way. He was invited to a state dinner by his American host.

That is obvious, I'm not denying he was allowed to enter, I want to know why Trudeau can (i.e the law that allows US Federal law to be waived) but a regular Canadian can't.......

If Trudeau was invited, was he also granted a written waiver from the State Department.....the same waiver that any other Canadian can pay for and apply to receive???