U.S. Border Drama For Canadian Pot Smokers

That is obvious, I'm not denying he was allowed to enter, I want to know why Trudeau can (i.e the law that allows US Federal law to be waived) but a regular Canadian can't.......

That's why this story has legs.....even the lowly border agent can cut the Canadian pot head a break, all on his own. The law and policies are not applied uniformly across the entire border, north or south.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why this story has legs.....even the lowly border agent can cut the Canadian pot head a break, all on his own. The law and policies are not applied uniformly across the entire border, north or south.

Without a doubt there is a measure of discretion granted to each agent.........but would that mean on a future visit, an agent aware of his admitted drug use, could deny him entry (absent a written waiver from the State Department/DHS)?????

Without a doubt there is a measure of discretion granted to each agent.........but would that mean on a future visit, an agent aware of his admitted drug use, could deny him entry (absent a written waiver from the State Department/DHS)?????

Sure....just make his day. Access to database records makes it easy to keep the same pot head really pissed off. I wonder what happens if they try to cross after being banned for life, without an expensive waiver ? Double banned ?

Sure....just make his day. Access to database records makes it easy to keep the same pot head really pissed off. I wonder what happens if they try to cross after being banned for life, without an expensive waiver ? Double banned ?

No need for a database other then Google in the case of our Prime Minister.

I don't think Trudeau had to cross the border in the conventional way. He was invited to a state dinner by his American host.

His American host who has also admitted to having smoked pot. The Bushes admitted it too, as did Clinton.

Kind of goofy to ban people for life for admitting doing what your own presidents and a lot of other US senior politicians have admitted, everyone from John Kerry to Sarah Palin and Arnold Schwarzeneger. Trump says he's never smoked it but would legalize it.

Trudeau was never banned, therefore nothing needed to be waived. There is no fixed rule that says if you admit smoking pot you will be automatically banned, this is up to the discretion of the US customs/immigration agent that is processing you. How many people have been stopped by police for smoking a joint, yet do not receive a criminal conviction?

Foreign travel is very common for work. Plenty of Americans do it.

True, but not "vast sectors of the American economy" or employment therein. Plenty of Americans are denied entry too. Only about 35% of Americans even have a passport....most of their lives do not depend on international travel. If not being able to enter the U.S. or any other nation ruins a Canadian's employment potential or holiday options, then maybe more opportunities and enrichment should be made available in Canada.

Anybody who seeks entry at an international border or customs plaza should be prepared for access being denied, for all kinds of reasons, not just marijuana.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Only about 35% of Americans even have a passport....most of their lives do not depend on international travel.

Yes. Canadians are more worldly than Americans.

Anybody who seeks entry at an international border or customs plaza should be prepared for access being denied, for all kinds of reasons, not just marijuana.

When you do something regularly without incident, suddenly being denied when the conditions haven't changed can be quite jarring.

I take 6 to 10 international trips a year. At least 400 in total. When it's that easy to get admitted to another country, the idea of preparing to NOT get in is hard to square. If the thing you're going to is IN that other country, there's nothing you can "prepare" for in the event that you're arbitrarily not admitted.

Yes. Canadians are more worldly than Americans.

Agreed...no Disney theme parks in Canada ?

When you do something regularly without incident, suddenly being denied when the conditions haven't changed can be quite jarring.

I take 6 to 10 international trips a year. At least 400 in total. When it's that easy to get admitted to another country, the idea of preparing to NOT get in is hard to square. If the thing you're going to is IN that other country, there's nothing you can "prepare" for in the event that you're arbitrarily not admitted.

Of course there is something to prepare for...prepare to go home or someplace else. Assuming easy breezy entry each time is very optimistic.

Agreed...no Disney theme parks in Canada ?

We have this thing called winter. Makes our parks seasonal affairs. We have parks that compete well with places like Valleyfair (a few are even owned by the same company), but a full-scale full time park requires year-round operation.

Of course there is something to prepare for...prepare to go home or someplace else. Assuming easy breezy entry each time is very optimistic.

You could say that about anything. Never assume that sun will actually rise the next day, even though until now it always did.

Edited by Bryan

We have this thing called winter. Makes our parks seasonal affairs. We have parks that compete well with places like Valleyfair (a few are even owned by the same company), but a full-scale full time park requires year-round operation.

Winter is part of Canada.....why is it not universally loved with year round activities and attractions ?

You could say that about anything. Never assume that sun will actually rise the next day, even though until now it always did.

The sun does not rise...the earth rotates at the sidereal rate. And it hasn't always done this.

Dopers who show up at the U.S. border with a copy of High Times magazine in the back seat will not be praised for their Canadian love of American media.

Winter is part of Canada.....why is it not universally loved with year round activities and attractions ?

There are different activities, but those are seasonal too. Even the biggest winter carnivals are weather permitting. If it never got warm, we probably would have some sort of permanent "Winter Wonderland" attraction.

Dopers who show up at the U.S. border with a copy of High Times magazine in the back seat will not be praised for their Canadian love of American media.

Truth. You shouldn't go out of your way to give them a reason to bar you!

There are different activities, but those are seasonal too. Even the biggest winter carnivals are weather permitting. If it never got warm, we probably would have some sort of permanent "Winter Wonderland" attraction.

I live farther north than Toronto, and we have lots of winter carnivals, holiday parades, ice castles, sponsored racing, snowmobiles, etc. along with indoor facilities. One can have both without hoping and praying that a foreign border guard is having a nice day.

Anyone dumb enough to tell the truth to a border guard about something like that is too dumb for Disney Land. Ban them.

Americans have dramas too...

http://globalnews.ca/news/2895923/canadian-border-agency-leave-your-guns-at-home-america/

The men, both in their 50s, had each denied having any firearms. But follow-up inspections of their vehicles revealed a Bersa Thunder .380 handgun, a Smith and Wesson .38 Special, a 12-gauge shotgun, a Rossi .357 Magnum (in the first vehicle) and a .40 Glock handgun (in the second vehicle), along with some pepper spray and some loose ammunition.

The men were fined $1,700 and $1,000, respectively, and their guns were destroyed. Both were then kicked out of Canada.

We even jail Americans if they use an air mattress to get into Canada... it's a little known law that using an air filled device to cross the border is strictly forbidden.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/09/gallant-american-jailed-floating-across-border-canada

The solution devised by the 25-year-old American – floating down a river that separates the two countries on an inflatable mattress to illegally enter Canada – was ingenious, but it led this week to a two-month jail sentence.

The American, identified as John Bennett by a crown prosecutor, first tried to legally cross the border between Calais, Maine, and the Canadian province of New Brunswick on Wednesday. He told authorities he wanted to see his girlfriend who lived in Canada, in the small town of St Stephen. He was denied entry after a background check turned up pending mischief charges in the US.

I live farther north than Toronto, and we have lots of winter carnivals, holiday parades, ice castles, sponsored racing, snowmobiles, etc. along with indoor facilities. One can have both without hoping and praying that a foreign border guard is having a nice day.

The vast majority of Canada is farther north than Toronto as well. In both cases (Canada as a whole or Minnesota specifically), seasonal activities abound. But they remain seasonal, and as such do not and can not grow to the level of the example you gave (Disney).

The vast majority of Canada is farther north than Toronto as well. In both cases (Canada as a whole or Minnesota specifically), seasonal activities abound. But they remain seasonal, and as such do not and can not grow to the level of the example you gave (Disney).

Disney was the example given because this desire was expressed by the now banned Canadian pot smoker. Minnesotans can go to Disneyland or Disney World at any time without crossing an international border.

My son and I attended an NFL football game outdoors on January 10, 2016 between the Seattle Seahawks and Minnesota Vikings...the air temperature was -12C. Total attendance was about 55,000. They were not interested in Disneyland.

-12C in January is REALLY warm where I come from! Cold weather doesn't stop our outdoor football stadiums from being sold out either. It's still only a small number of times per year.

Warm weather most certainly does encourage travel for sure. You've got options to do that within your borders, we don't. As much as I do travel to the US, that's not where I go for my winter sun though -- Cuba is a lot more fun and much less expensive.

....Warm weather most certainly does encourage travel for sure. You've got options to do that within your borders, we don't.

That's the point.....develop more travel options whether warm or not. The pot smoker wanted to take his daughter to Disneyland, not escape the frozen tundra.

There are many travel options, including theme parks in Toronto and Montreal. There is not a Disneyland or world.

The pot smoker and his daughter can get the Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, etc., on their cable or satellite system. I don't think the lifetime ban applies to that.