Police officers threaten to boycott 49ers over Kaepernick protest

BC_chick

"If the 49ers organization fails to take action to stop this type of inappropriate behavior it could result in police officers choosing not to work at your facilities," the letter reads. "The board of directors of the Santa Clara Police Officer's Association has a duty to protect its members and work to make all of their working environments free of harassing behaviour."

It also criticized what it called anti-police statements made by Kaepernick, calling them "insulting, inaccurate and completely unsupported by any facts."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/nfl/police-boycott-kaepernick-protest-1.3747371

Doesn't it seem strange that critics of BLM says the movement has lost credibility because some proponents have resorted to violence, yet a peaceful protest is now deemed 'controversial' to the point the police are threatening to boycott doing their job because of it?

Personally, I applaud Kaepernick, I hope he keeps doing what he's doing.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the police are threatening to boycott doing their job because of it?

I have been a long standing opponent of using boycotts as tool to silence people. Are you ready to take a principled stand and protest the use of such boycotts even when you don't agree with the speaker? Or is this just one more example of a left winger thinking that only people they agree with are entitled to free speech? Edited by TimG

Black Lives Matter "peaceful" activists: “Pigs in a blanket, fry ’em like bacon."

One person suspects that self-interest - not principle is driving kaepernick's "protest":

http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2016/08/this-one-simple-trick-used-by-colin-kaepernick-will-make-it-harder-to-fire-you.html

Kaepernick has to know that he is potentially on the chopping block. Many folks believe that his performance last year was not good enough to earn a job on the 49ers this year. It has been discussed on national TV for weeks, and probably for months in the local San Francisco market. If he were to be cut, it would likely be in the next 7 days or so by the schedule the NFL sets for finalizing rosters. So I wonder if part of Kaepernick's action the other day was to make it harder to fire him.

Edited by TimG

I have been a long standing opponent of using boycotts as tool to silence people. Are you ready to take a principled stand and protest the use of such boycotts even when you don't agree with the speaker? Or is this just one more example of a left winger thinking that only people they agree with are entitled to free speech?

The police are providing a public service. They show up to do their jobs at other protests with which they disagree (even BLM protests). I see this issue a continuation of the same idea, the police still need to do their job.

Individuals have a right to boycott whatever they want.

The police are providing a public service. They show up to do their jobs at other protests with which they disagree (even BLM protests). I see this issue a continuation of the same idea, the police still need to do their job.

Are they? I suspect the work the do for the 49ers is voluntary moonlighting (police are often paid by private organizations for security). I can't imagine any police union would have the power to refuse to do mandatory work.

Given that do you support the right of police to boycott this guy?

Edited by TimG

I have been a long standing opponent of using boycotts as tool to silence people. Are you ready to take a principled stand and protest the use of such boycotts even when you don't agree with the speaker?

Can't you just be against silencing anyone and leave it at that?

Or is this just one more example of a left winger thinking that only people they agree with are entitled to free speech?

No. Your question is an example of straw.

Doesn't it seem strange that critics of BLM says the movement has lost credibility because some proponents have resorted to violence, yet a peaceful protest is now deemed 'controversial' to the point the police are threatening to boycott doing their job because of it?

Ya me too.

I think the police union is out of line here.

The job of the police is to uphold the right to protest - ie, protect freedom of speech/association.

I have been a long standing opponent of using boycotts as tool to silence people. Are you ready to take a principled stand and protest the use of such boycotts even when you don't agree with the speaker? Or is this just one more example of a left winger thinking that only people they agree with are entitled to free speech?

Boycott is a peaceful and effective means of protest - freedom of expression.

Your right of freedom of expression means you don't have to agree.

:)

Exactly, there is nothing in the NFL that requires players to stand up during an anthem. The police are threatening the welfare of the team and fans because the managers won't reprimand a player for doing something that is well within his rights.

I can't see what all the fuss is about. So he doesn't stand up. So what?

Well, I suppose it is a sign of disrespect.

Better to wash the flag than burn it I'm told.

Lately he is taking a knee during the anthem. I think this is better as it is often done when a player has fallen on the field so it is a way to show respect OTOH to those who do protect thier freedoms while also showing that the culture of bad and racist cops can suck it OTOH.

Exactly, there is nothing in the NFL that requires players to stand up during an anthem. The police are threatening the welfare of the team and fans because the managers won't reprimand a player for doing something that is well within his rights.

Agreed.

If they are being paid by the public then they should uphold their constitution and laws.

Last time I checked there is this thing called freedom which allows people to do things like not stand for the anthem and even to not stand and recite the pledge of allegiance.

In a non-fascist secular state these freedoms must be protected.

If the cops are doing this on the side then of course they have every right to not partake in any activity if they so choose.

One person suspects that self-interest - not principle is driving kaepernick's "protest":http://www.coyoteblog.com/coyote_blog/2016/08/this-one-simple-trick-used-by-colin-kaepernick-will-make-it-harder-to-fire-you.html

I think it makes it easier to fire him.

His performance has been terrible and he is now a troublemaker drawing attention to himself in a political manner.

I'd have no trouble firing him and I have little problem with how he has protested. In fact I mostly agree with him (but not his tactic of not standing - I think the kneeling is better method).

Well, I suppose it is a sign of disrespect.

Better to wash the flag than burn it I'm told

Sure. It wouldn't be a protest if it weren't at least a little upsetting to some. But it's so benign, so personal, I wonder why people can't just note the act and move on.

I don't much care about sitting during the anthem, I also think its stupid to play it before every game, in every sport. But he also worse socks with pigs in police uniforms on them, of course some of you will 'think' that's funny, but if you were a cop I think you would take that as an insult and it doesn't really do anything except further normalize disrespect for the police and probably get more people hurt. So If you don't have to do that work, let the NFL hire private security. Kaepernick isn't that good anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they release him.

Edited by poochy

I think he's a moron, but I think all the BLM types and their supporters are morons. What he's doing is contributing to the ongoing feeling of paranoia, distrust and resentment in the Black community towards police. That inspires people like the guy in Baton Rough and the one in Dallas, and in dozens of less severe incidents across America, and now in Canada.

The other day in Chicago, in a completely typical crime, a young mother was shot to death in entirely typical Black on Black violence. Because she was the cousin of an NBA star the police solved the crime quickly. But not because they worked harder. As the Black police superintendent pointed out when asked this question, they solved it because in this instance, because of her relationship with the NBA star, the Black community actually cooperated and witnesses came forward. If the Black community would come forward in other murder cases the police would solve way more of them.

So not only do such ridiculous anti-police protests harm the police they harm the black community. Twice as many blacks have been murdered in Chicago this year - by Blacks - than were shot by the police in the entire country. And virtually all of the latter cases were entirely justified. But this paranoia and anti-police crap has risen to the point that even in a case where a Black cops shoots an armed Black man with a long criminal history we still saw blacks riot in Cleveland.

Edited by Argus

I think he's a moron, but I think all the BLM types and their supporters are morons. What he's doing is contributing to the ongoing feeling of paranoia, distrust and resentment in the Black community towards police. That inspires people like the guy in Baton Rough and the one in Dallas, and in dozens of less severe incidents across America, and now in Canada.

Funny how you can say this, but then deny that your own rhetoric against people from Muslim countries contributes to anti-Islamic paranoia and resentment.

Yet no one gave a crap when Trump didn't put his hand over his heart during the national anthem. It's "interesting" which battles certain people choose to fight.

Funny how you can say this, but then deny that your own rhetoric against people from Muslim countries contributes to anti-Islamic paranoia and resentment.

Not to mention that terrible cops have done a fine job of literally creating the paranoia, distrust, and resentment. But okay....let's whine about a football player.

Argus, I could've predicted you would come with the black on black crime argument, so thank you for not letting me down.

Black on black crime does not play any role in the subject of police brutality, they are very distinct yet separate problems. You constantly bring up the issue to deflect every thread on police brutality.

And you're doing it again by derailing this thread. Please don't.

The topic of this thread is whether a bunch of butt-hurt police are behaving reasonably by boycotting a football game over the actions of one single player... who is not breaking any rules or laws.

You're more than welcome to go start a thread titlted "But black people kill black people, why can't cops" if so you wish. Not here though.

Edited by BC_chick