The Rio Olympics

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it silly? If you are going to have competitions where unrestricted doping is allowed, there would be no point in competing if you didn't.

If the intent is to win and make your nation look good then maybe you are right. But the whole intent of the games is "“The important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle, the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.” It is brotherhood and cooperation. I cannot find anywhere in the Olympic doctrines that the focus is to win.

If you can find a reference to winning as a priority then please share it with me.

If the intent is to win and make your nation look good then maybe you are right. But the whole intent of the games is "“The important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle, the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.” It is brotherhood and cooperation. I cannot find anywhere in the Olympic doctrines that the focus is to win.

If you can find a reference to winning as a priority then please share it with me.

Why finance national teams with the intent of seeing them humiliated on a world stage? You would have us send off our athletes telling them to enjoy their Olympic experience but don't be discouraged when all the dopers kick your ass. Level playing field, my ass.

Why finance national teams with the intent of seeing them humiliated on a world stage? You would have us send off our athletes telling them to enjoy their Olympic experience but don't be discouraged when all the dopers kick your ass. Level playing field, my ass.

Hello - Not sure how level your ass is but if you have been following this thread, my suggestion is to drop the artificial approach to PED's and allow the athlete the choice. If the Canadian wants to dope up then go for it - most of them are already doing it and have been for years. That is what a level playing field is all about.

These are folks who have the right of free choice. Many of the drugs that are banned are legitimate use for certain ailments but are a PED as a side effect. I see no humiliation in somebody competing and not winning a medal. The are minimal qualifications for participation and if an individual achieves that level then they can compete.

My suggestion would guarantee a far more level playing field than the one currently being employed.

My suggestion would guarantee a far more level playing field than the one currently being employed.

Says you. It just creates an un-level playing field where the best chemists win countries medals instead of athletes and coaches.

And you'll also see a scenario, where in order to win, athletes will have to consume drugs at a level that would greatly reduce their lifespan and quality of life.

That's your preferable option? See how many Pro Wrestlers die at a young age? That's what happens when PED use is unregulated.

Edited by Boges

Says you. It just creates an un-level playing field where the best chemists win countries medals instead of athletes and coaches.

And you'll also see a scenario, where in order to win, athletes will have to consume drugs at a level that would greatly reduce their lifespan and quality of life.

That's your preferable option? See how many Pro Wrestlers die at a young age? That's what happens when PED use is unregulated.

I believe any person has the right to ruin their lives if they so wish. I believe those in constant pain should be able to stop that pain permanently through suicide - assisted if required. I believe any individual has the right to make decisions about their own bodies as long as it does not affect others. I also do not believe that any government of organization is responsible for individual adult lifespan and quality of life.

As to pro wrestlers dying at an early age because of drug use - I have no sympathy for them. They knew the possible effects of the long term use of steroids (and other drugs not needed to maintain health), made that decision and suffered the consequences. It was their choice.

Many individuals abuse medications. From truck drivers using "bennies" to stay awake for longer runs to healthy people using pain killing drugs to get "high" to soldiers using pot to make the war experience more acceptable.

That is my view - Yes, so says me.

I believe any person has the right to ruin their lives if they so wish. I believe those in constant pain should be able to stop that pain permanently through suicide - assisted if required. I believe any individual has the right to make decisions about their own bodies as long as it does not affect others. I also do not believe that any government of organization is responsible for individual adult lifespan and quality of life.

As to pro wrestlers dying at an early age because of drug use - I have no sympathy for them. They knew the possible effects of the long term use of steroids (and other drugs not needed to maintain health), made that decision and suffered the consequences. It was their choice.

Many individuals abuse medications. From truck drivers using "bennies" to stay awake for longer runs to healthy people using pain killing drugs to get "high" to soldiers using pot to make the war experience more acceptable.

You are forgetting that some countries force their young athletes to take these PED's. Recall back in the 70s and 80s, East Germany forced prepubescent girls to take steroids including male hormones. I suspect the same thing is happening in Russia, Kenya, etc. This needs to stop.

They either dope or they can't compete. They might not even be able to qualify. That's your idea of a level playing field?

I never had much use for Carl Lewis and I'm not surprised he doped. A great athlete but a little too self rightious for my taste. He is right about one thing though, it's not the eighties anymore. WADA has come a long way since then and has done a lot more to provide a level playing field than unrestricted doping ever would. It hasn't been able to stop all doping but it has cut down on the number of drugs that athletes might get away with, reduced the advantage they provide and eliminated the ones most dangerous to their health. It is not only their mandate to try and provide a level playing field for athletes but protect their health as well. Weather they like it or not.

Your Olympic Ideal of a field full of juiced up freaks is one I would want nothing to do with and I believe it would be the death of the Olympics. What reputable country would want anything to do with spending billions to host such an event?

Sounds more like Rollerball to me. If you are old enough to remember that movie.

Sounds more like Rollerball to me. If you are old enough to remember that movie.

I remember following the summer Olympics in Melbourne Australia. There were PED's used then and at every subsequent Olympics. How many of the athletes in Rio will be found later to have used some PED that is not identifiable at this time?

Professional sports are played on a level playing field. How many of those behemoths in the NFL and CFL are on PED's and/or pain killers during games?

When was the last time that you saw world class soccer players being suspended for using PED's?

Edited by Big Guy

Watched some female beach volleyball. Saw one side in the usual skimp and the other side in full body coverage. Apparently dress code is up to the competitors.

The outfits on these skimpy ladies is an embarrassment. After every series of volleys they have to pull their bikini bottoms down and pull out a wedgie. Those outfits may have been required to get this sport off the ground in California but it is now an Olympic Sport!! I enjoy volleyball but found this unpleasant and quickly turned to rugger.

Am looking forward to the guys coming out in jock straps to see the reaction of the rules committee.

That's the culture of their chosen sport.

I watched it for a few hours, noticed a major wrist injury....but, I think i'll be fine

The commentary from the media covering the female athletes is ridiculous. For example:

Calling Katie Ledecky 'the female Michael phelps'. Wtf!

On Simone Biles: she may go higher then the men. Why the need to compare to men.

Crediting the gold medal Hungarian swimmer to her husband. He didn't swim!

Commenting on a competitors leotards. Seriously?

And these are just a few. I sometimes wonder if we have at all advanced in coverage of female athletes

Maybe you are hearing certain comments, but the coverage of female athletes has been far superior to the men. In Canada, it's all about the women - lots of girl power references and interviews. I know the girls have got all the medals so far and are deserving of the accolades, but you're way off if you have any issues with the female coverage. As for the other countries, I see Michael Phelps a lot (and for obvious reasons), but most of the coverage and features are of women, from the Chinese and Hungarian swimmers to the women wearing hijabs.

Well that escalated quickly.

Penny Oleksiak wins her 4th medal of the games. With Canada's first Gold of the games BTW. That makes her the most successful Canadian Summer Olympian ever and puts her a medal behind Cindy Klassen as the most successful Canadian Olympian ever.

AND SHE'S 16!!!!!!

Lock for the Lou Marsh this year.

Edited by Boges

I found it very uplifting and proud to see these young ladies succeed on the wold scale. Penny is the smiling epitome of good, fresh Canadian attitude. Well done ladies.

You make Canada proud!!!

Except you, because you think her achievements are tainted by Anti-Doping measures right?

Lithuania could finish second in basketball after, you know who, as Lithuania have been outstanding so far. Remarkable that such a small country excels at a game which is probably second only to soccer in world-wide popularity. Compared to basketball hockey is an insignificant backyard-game.

Lithuania could finish second in basketball after, you know who, as Lithuania have been outstanding so far. Remarkable that such a small country excels at a game which is probably second only to soccer in world-wide popularity. Compared to basketball hockey is an insignificant backyard-game.

The Toronto Raptors starting Centre is from Lithuania.

Maybe you are hearing certain comments, but the coverage of female athletes has been far superior to the men. In Canada, it's all about the women - lots of girl power references and interviews. I know the girls have got all the medals so far and are deserving of the accolades, but you're way off if you have any issues with the female coverage. As for the other countries, I see Michael Phelps a lot (and for obvious reasons), but most of the coverage and features are of women, from the Chinese and Hungarian swimmers to the women wearing hijabs.

You have blinders on.