The Rio Olympics

But the logic of the approach you cite can be blown out of the water easily.

It's true though, that it's all subjective of what you value.

The author of the ranking formula admitted as much from the start.

But wouldn't an objective person value winning percentage the top indicator? And if the two had the same winning percentage than wouldn't the time it took to win those medals be the second?

Did you see Ray Ewry's winning percentage ?

Also World Records need to be taken into consideration. Where Bolt has the records of all the events he competes in. Even though he hasn't broken any in these Olympics.

I disagree...this is about performance at the Olympics, not other competitions. Bolt lost several races outside of the Olympics as well.

It really comes down to Bolt and Phelps and not some obscure athletes from early last century.

I don't think we've ever seen an athlete be so dominant in his 3rd Olympics like Bolt has been. These races aren't even close.

Bolt supporters can only lay claim to Olympic Track & Field greatness, and even that is debatable when compared to some others.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you see Ray Ewry's winning percentage ?

It would be the same as Bolt assuming a Gold today. The only difference would be weighting the relay Golds less. But that's opposed to doing the 10 Golds in 4 Olympics as opposed to 9 in 3.

I disagree...this is about performance at the Olympics, not other competitions. Bolt lost several races outside of the Olympics as well.

I think he's only lost one World Championship race due to a disqualification and got beaten by Johan Blake in the Jamaican trials before the 2012 Olympics. So Bolt would have both the Olympic and World records in all 3 events.

Bolt supporters can only lay claim to Olympic Track & Field greatness, and even that is debatable when compared to some others.

Well the #1 guy on your list was a Track and Field guy.

Edited by Boges

It would be the same as Bolt assuming a Gold today. The only difference would be weighting the relay Golds less. But that's opposed to doing the 10 Golds in 4 Olympics as opposed to 9 in 3.

Relay golds should be less....individual golds more....as was the case in the cited ranking. Did he mention that Ray Ewry came back from polio to win all those medals and hold the record for 60+ years ?

I think he's only lost one World Championship race due to a disqualification and got beaten by Johan Blake in the Jamaican trials before the 2012 Olympics. So Bolt would have both the Olympic and World records in all 3 events.

Bolt's international record is well documented, with other losses. But again, the rankings are about Olympic performances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usain_Bolt#International_competitions

Well the #1 guy on your list was a Track and Field guy.

Which is why Bolt's greatness is debatable !

Relay golds should be less....individual golds more....as was the case in the cited ranking. Did he mention that Ray Ewry came back from polio to win all those medals and hold the record for 60+ years ?

How should Polio play into it? A good percentage of Phelps's Golds are from Relays.

Bolt's international record is well documented, with other losses. But again, the rankings are about Olympic performances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usain_Bolt#International_competitions

Then he's undefeated so far. With Olympic records in every event.

So?

The Dream Team are going to leave these Olympics with only One Gold Medal. Perhaps they should have entered themselves into the Netball tournament too.

Dream Team only wants to win one medal, and doesn't lay claim to historical Olympic dominance. Bolt is a great Olympian, but he just hasn't competed in enough events over multiple Olympics to dethrone those who have. Bobsled team could use a world class sprinter.

Dream Team only wants to win one medal, and doesn't lay claim to historical Olympic dominance. Bolt is a great Olympian, but he just hasn't competed in enough events over multiple Olympics to dethrone those who have. Bobsled team could use a world class sprinter.

That's a dubious opinion. So he wins a Bronze on the 400m relay team. He tries his hand at 100m hurdles and finishes 5th.

That actually makes him a less impressive Olympian because he's watered down his accomplishments. He's never lost an Olympic race of any significance.

I think Phelps takes it....

Even though there are a whole bunch of swimming events, the fact that no other swimmer has even come close sets him apart from everyone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_multiple_Olympic_gold_medalists

That actually makes him a less impressive Olympian because he's watered down his accomplishments. He's never lost an Olympic race of any significance.

That kind of logic means he should only run one race. Total body of works counts for more, and others have done more than Bolt in Olympic Games.

My major disappointment in these Olympics is the lack of spectators blowing their Vuvuzelas. I remember watching the World Cup of soccer as these horns bleated, people were pulling their hats over their ears, announcers wearing ear muffs and TV fans watching with the sound turned off.

Oh those good old days ....

The USA winning basketball, both men and women, must be the surest gold-medals of the games. Shame for otherwise great game that one team is so one-sidedly dominant.

It's an American sport... pretty fringe everywhere else.

I love Bolt's and de grasse's bromance. It's a remarkable sight to watch those two flashing smiles and jokes at each other while crossing the finish line. Can't say I've seen that before.

They're both sponsored by Puma. And actually Bolt was smiling but it turns out he was pretty mad that De Grasse tried to push him unnecessarily.

After last night's final they weren't nearly as chummy.

Congratulations to another female Canadian winner - Bronze medal for Fine Lady 5. This filly was able to take a third place even with a 50 year old, over-the-hill, Eric Lamaze hanging on to share her success.

I do question horses getting medals but I guess if sailboats and other kinds on inanimate objects can get those medals then horses should not be excluded. Looking forward to the future where they change the rules and allow monkeys to jockey these horses. At least they are entertaining as they ride pigs, dogs, cats and the odd pony.

Earlier in these games when I was watching archery I couldnt help thinking what a powerful weapon the bow and arrow still could be. If you had to choose between two sides one with bow and arrow and the other with the 17th-century version of firearms which takes a long time to reload, which side would you choose to be on?

Rio 2016 is almost over....I wonder which nation will win the most medals ?

Admit it; you would happily give away 20-30 medals only if you could beat Bolt but as no such exchange exists you just have to accept that Bolt is superior.