Military Coup in Turkey

Bonam

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You beat me to it, I'm looking at the Telegraph now... According to the President it's an act encouraged by the "parallel structure" - his shorthand for followers of Fethullah Gulen, a U.S.-based Muslim cleric who he has repeatedly accused of attempting to foment an uprising among his followers in the judiciary and the military.

Turkey is secular although Erdogan is a hard liner so it's hard to determine who wants what... the U.S. has a base and military equipment there and Turkey was negotiating to become part of the E.U.....

There are certainly a lot of reasons for the Turkish military to take command. To start with, they are the guardians of the secular state, tasked with that by Ataturk. Erdogan has been pulling in the other direction since the first got elected, trying to make Turkey more Islamist. Add in his corruption, his repeated violation of the constitution, his kangaroo courts and crushing of freedom of speech and press, and then just for spice, his restarting the war with the kurds, costing hundreds of lives, just so he could discredit the secular kuridish political party which had been gaining support.

If this fails, according to commentators, and I agree, Erdogan will become even more authoritarian, cracking down on dissent even further, and crushing any hope of an eventual democracy in Turkey. It might well fail. The coup plotters obviously failed at what should have been their first task, which was arresting or killing Erdogan.

Report of an F-16 fighter loyal to Erdogan shooting down a helicopter. The coup may be 5 years too late.

Yes, he's had time to fire all the military generals and replace them with croneys. They, in turn, have promoted people loyal to the Islamist government. They should have turned on him when he did that years ago.

I would imagine that in a cosmopolitan city such as Istanbul there would be no support for islamist regime. This night could really be good news or terribly bad news depending on whether the coup has succeeded or if there is a start of a civil war in Turkey.

Successful coups usually follow a recipe:

1. Arrest (kill) head of state.

2. Arrest members of government.

3. Take over media to make sure that coup propaganda and only coup propaganda is released.

4. Establish a new leader or spokesman who now speaks for the country.

Not sure this one is following the recipe. It probably will not work.

No offense taken. Do you have a link to an alternative explanation of what is going on?

Not yet and I know you were following the news with the rest of us. The story is unfolding. Give it a day or two. The damn press throws out bs in the heat of it. Doesn' look like a true coups but maybe a faction of angry soldiers maybe over his flip flop over Syria?

Ask me tomorrow but I bet you have better answers and will know as much as me tomorrow.

Sorry though I just meant everyone slow down in a nice way. It sounded know it all. I meant it in a hang on hang on the stories seem to be changing as

they come in. I also doubt it was a US military spokesman who said Erdogan was seeking asylum in Germany. That sounds like a bogus planted story

to embarrass him.

What we do know is Obama is pro Erdogan and he's still in control of the US military and they aren't helping a coups. If some soldiers broke away

they probably are anti Syrian and can't stand his flip flop. Just a guess Bonam just a guess.

Lol wait until I call Bibi.

Successful coups usually follow a recipe:

1. Arrest (kill) head of state.

2. Arrest members of government.

3. Take over media to make sure that coup propaganda and only coup propaganda is released.

4. Establish a new leader or spokesman who now speaks for the country.

Not sure this one is following the recipe. It probably will not work.

Yep, sounds like the coup is failing.