Wasting Canadian Blood and Treasure

Looks like the last time Obama came to Canada he gave JT a nudge that has seen fruition for the USA:

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/canada-steps-up-with-a-new-nato-committment/

Canada has made 2 new commitments:

About 500 troops into Latvia. I believe this is a mistake. It is clearly not needed and serves only to send some kind of lame message of NATO solidarity. Neither Latvia, nor any of the Baltic States (or Poland) are in any danger of invasion. Some pundits use Crimea as an example but Crimea had a population where most of the population identified more with Moscow than they did with Kiev. Hear anybody from Crimea complaining about Russian “domination” these days”?

Additional and continuing sending of money into Afghanistan (about 100 million a year). America is complaining that it is pouring $1 billion a year into Afghanistan and the other nations should help contribute. The USA broke it so it should fix it. Why should Canada pay for aggressive and faulty American foreign policy? Besides, what does NATO have to do with Afghanistan? Which member of the alliance was attacked and thereby forcing the others to come to their aid?

This is a move of JT that I disagree with. At least he is getting Canadians out of the way of fire being aimed at the USA. The sooner we develop a foreign policy which allows the USA to pay the consequences of its actions the sooner Canada we can direct our funds to our benefit.

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is reaping his reward for campaign rhetoric and the removal of CF-18 strike fighters from Kuwait (Operation Impact). Trudeau's recent comments in Poland are quite telling:

....Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s reply Saturday in Poland to constant questions about how little Canada spends on defence was to insist that there were other ways to assist NATO than simply spending money.

...The U.S., Britain and Germany quickly signed on to similar leadership roles in neighbouring countries, but negotiations to get Canada on board took much longer. Canada only confirmed its participation one day after Obama told Parliament three times that he hoped Canada would do more for the alliance.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/matthew-fisher-often-ridiculed-for-its-lack-of-defence-spending-canada-steps-up-at-nato-conference

Looks like the last time Obama came to Canada he gave JT a nudge that has seen fruition for the USA:

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/canada-steps-up-with-a-new-nato-committment/

Canada has made 2 new commitments:

About 500 troops into Latvia. I believe this is a mistake. It is clearly not needed and serves only to send some kind of lame message of NATO solidarity. Neither Latvia, nor any of the Baltic States (or Poland) are in any danger of invasion. Some pundits use Crimea as an example but Crimea had a population where most of the population identified more with Moscow than they did with Kiev. Hear anybody from Crimea complaining about Russian “domination” these days”?

Additional and continuing sending of money into Afghanistan (about 100 million a year). America is complaining that it is pouring $1 billion a year into Afghanistan and the other nations should help contribute. The USA broke it so it should fix it. Why should Canada pay for aggressive and faulty American foreign policy? Besides, what does NATO have to do with Afghanistan? Which member of the alliance was attacked and thereby forcing the others to come to their aid?

This is a move of JT that I disagree with. At least he is getting Canadians out of the way of fire being aimed at the USA. The sooner we develop a foreign policy which allows the USA to pay the consequences of its actions the sooner Canada we can direct our funds to our benefit.

I agree. Well said. According to many observers from around the world agree that America has become the terrorist nation for the rest of the world to have to put up and deal with. America has become a warmongering country,and is always looking for someone to fight with. I just hope that they don't try anything stupid and try and go after Russia or China because if they try too, we are all going to get blown up. JT is just another American puppet.

I agree. Well said. According to many observers from around the world agree that America has become the terrorist nation for the rest of the world to have to put up and deal with. America has become a warmongering country

America hasn't changed at all....but Canada has, choosing to spend far less on "defense" forces. It is now a "bludger" nation. In the good 'ol days, Canadians would ship out to wherever the Empire needed to kill some locals. God Save the Queen !

America hasn't changed at all....but Canada has, choosing to spend far less on "defense" forces. It is now a "bludger" nation. In the good 'ol days, Canadians would ship out to wherever the Empire needed to kill some locals. God Save the Queen !

Thank gawd that some nations are telling the American government that they don't want to be involved in killing any locals. America has changed and for the worse. No one trusts America any more. There is no need to spend more money on defence if America would just stop trying to start a war somewhere. At one time, the American and Canadian borders were virtually free of spy cameras and passports, and we could cross into each others country without feeling like a criminal or terrorist. America changed all of that and started to treat Canadians as terrorists and criminals after 9/11. Our Canadian and American friendship has now gone sour thanks to America. America has changed alright, and not for the better. But you can't see that.

God bless America and Canada. Hopefully, Trump becomes President, and then things may get better, and Canada and America can get together and become good friends again as we once were. We are children of a common mother, and yet we have this family fight going on between us. Sad.

Canada has what, the 6th largest defense budget in Nato? I doubt anyone is going to want us to leave.

Canada could have the biggest defense budget in NATO if other countries stopped spending. Still...

Canada is by far the worst offender in the alliance, ranking 23rd out of 28 countries. Its spending on defence dipped below one per cent according to statistics published by NATO last week.

Canada has what, the 6th largest defense budget in Nato? I doubt anyone is going to want us to leave.

Billions of Canadian tax dollars being wasted on foolish NATO wars around the world. I wish Canada were like Switzerland. Switzerland says you go ahead and fight your battles and we will sit back and just watch. Instead we are going to spend our tax dollars on more useful things that will help our own people and our country, and not help or serve the interests of the globalist bankster elites. Canadians don't start wars, but America does.

Canada could have the biggest defense budget in NATO if other countries stopped spending. Still...

Canada is by far the worst offender in the alliance, ranking 23rd out of 28 countries. Its spending on defence dipped below one per cent according to statistics published by NATO last week.

Too bad that Canada does not follow the example of Switzerland, and just stay out of American wars. They are doing just fine minding their own business. Canada doesn't need to spend billions on a military. We need to spend and keep our tax dollars in Canada for it's peoples needs, and not support the globalist elite warmongers. War is a racket, and millions of people suffer because of that racket. Americans need to wake the heck up.

Thank gawd that some nations are telling the American government that they don't want to be involved in killing any locals. America has changed and for the worse. No one trusts America any more. There is no need to spend more money on defence if America would just stop trying to start a war somewhere.

America has not changed, with wars and interventions over it's history that you don't even know about without using America's Google. Lots of nations "trust" America when it does their dirty work.

At one time, the American and Canadian borders were virtually free of spy cameras and passports, and we could cross into each others country without feeling like a criminal or terrorist. America changed all of that and started to treat Canadians as terrorists and criminals after 9/11. Our Canadian and American friendship has now gone sour thanks to America. America has changed alright, and not for the better. But you can't see that.

Canada is America's oldest and closest...enemy. Good fences make for great "neighbours". NATO is about collective defense, not easy access to cheap cross border shopping or snowbird vacations to Florida.

God bless America and Canada. Hopefully, Trump becomes President, and then things may get better, and Canada and America can get together and become good friends again as we once were. We are children of a common mother, and yet we have this family fight going on between us. Sad.

Canada is just another nation state with nation state interests...just like the USA. First step was to violently rebel against "mother", and then push her empire to the side. Canada knows the score....

Too bad that Canada does not follow the example of Switzerland, and just stay out of American wars. They are doing just fine minding their own business. Canada doesn't need to spend billions on a military. We need to spend and keep our tax dollars in Canada for it's peoples needs, and not support the globalist elite warmongers. War is a racket, and millions of people suffer because of that racket. Americans need to wake the heck up.

Actually, Canada is very much part of the war "racket" and has increased its share of blood money. The $15 billion Saudi deal for APC is ample evidence of that. Save the peacemonger bullcrap for the Canadian audience that eats it up, not NATO.

How can something be 23rd out of 28 and be the worst offender? I read that article, and the line stuck out at me at the time as nonsensical.

That doesn't at all counter what I said - Canada overall is 6th, and on a per capita basis is higher than 23rd.

Edited by Smallc

How can something be 23rd out of 28 and be the worst offender? I read that article, and the line stuck out at me at the time as nonsensical.

Beats me...I didn't write it. Somebody in Canada did....

That doesn't at all counter what I said - Canada overall is 6th, and on a per capita basis is higher than 23rd.

Then why is Trudeau making excuses for current spending levels and alternative ways to help NATO...like...ummm...baking cookies ?

America has not changed, with wars and interventions over it's history that you don't even know about without using America's Google. Lots of nations "trust" America when it does their dirty work.

(X)America needs to change it's foreign wars policy or the world will never know peace. America is a warmongering nation, and hopefully Trump is going to put an end to that. Gawd only knows that Americans have had enough of wars and they need a break from the warmongers who just won't give them that peace.

Canada is America's oldest and closest...enemy. Good fences make for great "neighbours". NATO is about collective defense, not easy access to cheap cross border shopping or snowbird vacations to Florida.

(X)I didn't know that we were Americas oldest and closest Enemy? Geez, what did I say or do? I always thought that we were close friends? Maybe Canadians should think about that relationship, if that is the way you feel.

(X)Yup, Americans are great at trying to build unfriendly fences.with just about every country in the world. Americans like you think that you are gods gift to mankind. Lots of nations are just helping America do it's dirty work by letting them in. The leaders of those countries have no choice if they want to continue as leaders.

Canada is just another nation state with nation state interests...just like the USA. First step was to violently rebel against "mother", and then push her empire to the side. Canada knows the score....

(X)All nation states have their own interests. Nothing new. Canada stayed with mother. You didn't like mom anymore so you rebelled and left the family. Aw well.

I was watching some analysts trying to explain Canada's role in the Baltic States. The general consensus was that if Russia did invade then they would be initially successful but lose in the long run. What they basically stated was that our troops would be the "cannon fodder" or the "suicide troops". Since this would be the first line of defense, the Russians would annihilate those troops in the initial attack before being beaten back as the conflict progressed.

This is not the first time Canadians would be used as "cannon fodder" by another nation.

I was watching some analysts trying to explain Canada's role in the Baltic States. The general consensus was that if Russia did invade then they would be initially successful but lose in the long run. What they basically stated was that our troops would be the "cannon fodder" or the "suicide troops". Since this would be the first line of defense, the Russians would annihilate those troops in the initial attack before being beaten back as the conflict progressed.

This is not the first time Canadians would be used as "cannon fodder" by another nation.

Trusting souls, are you?

Canada has retreated from its initial enthusiasm for NATO as a cure for UN paralysis.....when Canada mattered:

...Canada was more significant at mid-twentieth century than it was before or could be now. But a remarkable aspect of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's more than fifty-year story is that, after an initial burst of commitment that carried its military to Europe on a wave of defence spending in the early 1950s, Canada let its security-building enthusiasm wane.

Canada preferred to regard NATO as a political arrangement, doing only as much militarily as was necessary to maintain a modicum of credibility inside the alliance. Nor did it press hard to turn the Atlantic Alliance into an Atlantic Community, as Article 2 and its Canadian champions had promised.

Witness Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau's 1969 decision to withdraw half of the Canadian force from NATO Europe, and the malnourishment of the military which has followed over the decades since.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/nato-when-canada-really-mattered-feature/

Edited by bush_cheney2004