Police Officers Shot in Dallas #2

Oh I'm not in favour of killing in either situation.

However, this is about police mentality.

Again, I disagree. You're assigning a mentality to an entire group based on the actions of a few.

If you had to choose a mentality based on the actions of all the cops in the US, what would it be?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From whats in the media, it sounds like a rather well planned attack (body armor, a ton of ammo, tactical shooting, getaway car etc).......seems a little too quick to be a response to the shooting of the black guy with a broken tail light in Minnesota last night.

Sounds like he was prepared to act alright and was just biding his time. It's all about galvanizing these days.

They (cops) are all afraid.

Can you imagine if every single routine interaction with the public was a potential life threatening situation due to the prevalence of guns being carried? I would need diapers as well.

An apt tweet: "Imagine if powerful white men were as vocally outraged about an innocent black person being shot as they are about improper use of email."

Terrible comparison. It's tragic a person is dead, but the email scandal can affect many many lives.

Could be........or ISIS trained.....or played a bunch of video games, who knows?

in police negotiations, shooter/sniper claimed to be U.S. Army veteran... lots of Facebook sourced pics of the guy in uniform. It's a good thing there are no other potential disgruntled black U.S. military trained persons out there taking exception to police killings of blacks. So now... a CNN media talking head is playing up the guy as a 'lone wolf' and... and... that this doesn't meet the "U.S. standard" for terrorism labeling. Say what?

How the USA PATRIOT Act redefines "Domestic Terrorism"

Section 802 of the USA PATRIOT Act (Pub. L. No. 107-52) expanded the definition of terrorism to cover ""domestic,"" as opposed to international, terrorism. A person engages in domestic terrorism if they do an act ""dangerous to human life"" that is a violation of the criminal laws of a state or the United States, if the act appears to be intended to: (i) intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping. Additionally, the acts have to occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States and if they do not, may be regarded as international terrorism.

Totally terrorism.

Funny, that in trying to exact revenge, assuming that's the true motive, for police violence, no one is talking about police violence anymore. Now cops are great guys again.

It is terrorism, by any definition, I agree.

Cops were always great guys. Not all of them, of course, but then, what group can say that?

Edited by bcsapper

No, I'm saying the two are 100% equal to me. It means I think the cops were just as much 'murderers' for killing over a tail light as the 'snipers' were for killing someone over a uniform.

Except the snipers deliberately set out to murder someone in cold blood while the cop in question reacted in sudden fear when an armed man made a move he interpreted as going for his gun. The two are not even close to being equivalent.

I wasn't saying you. Just a general attitude downplaying the murder of innocent people.

Virtually none of the Black men killed by police could accurately be described as 'innocent'.

There's been a lot of whining about Black people involved in shootings by police of late. Its become a media 'thing' and blown way out of proportion for the sake of ratings. This has inspired racist Blacks to organize and helped divide the US along racial lines even more than it already was. The killings of Black men are depicted by racist black activists as a racial attack on the Black community, even though there's absolutely no evidence of that happening.

Let's have a few facts, shall we? I say facts not opinions.

Black males between the ages of 15-34 make up 3% of the population in the United States but are responsible for 38% of all murder, manslaughter, aggravated assaults, robberies and rapes. That figure is roughly 20 times the incidence among White men. So if you wonder why police attitudes towards young Black men are suspicious, now you know. Black men are twice as likely as White men to be killed by police, not because police hate black men but because they're many times more likely to be confronted by police for crimes. And, of course, these facts make police more likely to be suspicious of young Black men, even if they're not guilty of anything, and to be extra careful around them. Not to mention that when a police broadcast of a criminal wanted for a recent crime goes out over the radio or computer, chances are the word 'black' features more often than 'white'.

Given the amount of police nteraction with young black men the number of shootings is actually lower than among whites. A little more than half of the people killed by police in the last year were white. I bet you didn't see much about that in the media. About a quarter were black, which is double the number of blacks in the general population, but given they are far more likely to commit crimes the number is actually low.

Studies suggest that the reasons behind blacks being more likely to commit violent crimes are the dual issues of poverty (which exacerbates family breakdown) and a sub-culture amongst the black community that is tolerant of and glamorizes crime and violence.

t’s clear that the greater propensity for black people to commit violent crimes is a driving factor as to why blacks are becoming involved in more violent confrontations with police than their 13% population figure suggests they should be. If the 911 calls are coming from black areas and are related to black people committing violent crimes, then of course black people are more likely to be involved in violent confrontations with cops.

http://www.infowars.com/black-crime-facts-that-the-white-liberal-media-darent-talk-about/

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler

There's been a lot of whining about Black people involved in shootings by police of late. Its become a media 'thing' and blown way out of proportion for the sake of ratings. This has inspired racist Blacks to organize and helped divide the US along racial lines even more than it already was. The killings of Black men are depicted by racist black activists as a racial attack on the Black community, even though there's absolutely no evidence of that happening.

Let's have a few facts, shall we? I say facts not opinions.

Black males between the ages of 15-34 make up 3% of the population in the United States but are responsible for 38% of all murder, manslaughter, aggravated assaults, robberies and rapes. That figure is roughly 20 times the incidence among White men. So if you wonder why police attitudes towards young Black men are suspicious, now you know. Black men are twice as likely as White men to be killed by police, not because police hate black men but because they're many times more likely to be confronted by police for crimes. And, of course, these facts make police more likely to be suspicious of young Black men, even if they're not guilty of anything, and to be extra careful around them. Not to mention that when a police broadcast of a criminal wanted for a recent crime goes out over the radio or computer, chances are the word 'black' features more often than 'white'.

Given the amount of police nteraction with young black men the number of shootings is actually lower than among whites. A little more than half of the people killed by police in the last year were white. I bet you didn't see much about that in the media. About a quarter were black, which is double the number of blacks in the general population, but given they are far more likely to commit crimes the number is actually low.

Studies suggest that the reasons behind blacks being more likely to commit violent crimes are the dual issues of poverty (which exacerbates family breakdown) and a sub-culture amongst the black community that is tolerant of and glamorizes crime and violence.

t’s clear that the greater propensity for black people to commit violent crimes is a driving factor as to why blacks are becoming involved in more violent confrontations with police than their 13% population figure suggests they should be. If the 911 calls are coming from black areas and are related to black people committing violent crimes, then of course black people are more likely to be involved in violent confrontations with cops.

http://www.infowars.com/black-crime-facts-that-the-white-liberal-media-darent-talk-about/

http://www.dailywire.com/news/7264/5-statistics-you-need-know-about-cops-killing-aaron-bandler

Do you really want to go down this racist rabbit hole?

How about the fact that they are far more likely to be incarcerated for non-violent drug offences even though they don't consume drugs at any greater level than the rest of the population. Once you've been sent to prison, your chances of being a productive member of society drop dramatically.

I see what you mean. Yes, I think that's true.

Police are trained to be afraid. They are taught to regard everyone around them as a potential killer, and to be ready to draw and fire in a split second. Gee, great idea. Let's take a bunch of young guys (who are, as a group, not noted for especially good judgement), give them guns, task them with making split second, life or death decisions, and then make them as afraid for their lives as possible.

All these shootings are going to do is make that worse. Cops are going to be even more wary, more likely to draw their weapons, and regard Black men with even more suspicion.

Edited by Argus

Yeah how dare Mr. Philandro Castile have a broken tail light and a licence to carry a firearm! Dude had what was coming.

While I think the cop overreacted and made a mistake in that case, this guy did himself no favors either. If you tell a cop you have a gun on you the next thing you need to do is NOT MOVE until the cop tells you to. Then you tell him where your wallet is and ask if you can reach for it.

While I think the cop overreacted and made a mistake in that case, this guy did himself no favors either. If you tell a cop you have a gun on you the next thing you need to do is NOT MOVE until the cop tells you to. Then you tell him where your wallet is and ask if you can reach for it.

Yeah a white guy would have had to treat a cop like a rabid dog that could go off at any second.

Do you really want to go down this racist rabbit hole?

This tends to be the response of the mindless zealots every time you bring up facts. "Oh, you can't say that! That's racist! I don't want to hear! You're hurting my brain! Ahhh! Ahh! No facts! I don't want facts!"

How about the fact that they are far more likely to be incarcerated for non-violent drug offences even though they don't consume drugs at any greater level than the rest of the population.

What has that got to do with anything I just wrote? They're more likely to be incarcerated because they're less likely to have jobs and supportive families and take remedial action before the trial to get into rehab. They're also more likely to have had previous convictions.

Once you've been sent to prison, your chances of being a productive member of society drop dramatically.

And that too is completely irrelevant excuse making. If a particular group of people is disproportionately responsible for violence and crime then they are going to have a disproportionate amount of interaction with police. Period. You can make excuses for the socioeconomic realities behind that but it doesn't change the facts.

Yeah a white guy would have had to treat a cop like a rabid dog that could go off at any second.

Let's see. Go speed past a cop, and when he walks up to your window warn him you have a gun, then reach for your wallet. Let us know how that works out.

Balls, you think a cop isn't going to be extra careful with anyone he knows is armed? I agree with Argus in that this cop probably over reacted but if you are armed and having an interaction with a police officer, you would be smart to take a second and put yourself in his position and act accordingly..

Let's see. Go speed past a cop, and when he walks up to your window warn him you have a gun, then reach for your wallet. Let us know how that works out.

Please cite that that's how things went down.

What has that got to do with anything I just wrote? They're more likely to be incarcerated because they're less likely to have jobs and supportive families and take remedial action before the trial to get into rehab. They're also more likely to have had previous convictions.

It has everything to do with the fact that a black person is way more likely to be thrown in jail and for longer than a white person doing the same crime.

See the Stanford student that raped an unconscious woman but only got 6 months because the judge didn't want to ruin his life.

Here are some facts.

The Post's data does show that unarmed black men are more likely to die by the gun of a cop than an unarmed white man...but this does not tell the whole story. In August 2015, the ratio was seven-to-one of unarmed black men dying from police gunshots compared to unarmed white men; the ratio was six-to-one by the end of 2015. But MacDonald points out in The Marshall Project that looking at the details of the actual incidents that occurred paints a different picture: