America under President Trump

2 minutes ago, segnosaur said:

I think part of the problem is that your previous statement was missing a word:

Due to his foreign business ownerships he will be in violation of the US Constitution the moment he is signed in.

The highlighted word is one that I think you left out. (I assume that was one that you meant to say.)

As for officials checking into Trump hotels, he did say he would give any money earned from his hotels to the government. The problem is, there are so many secondary ways he would benefit... for example, foreign countries approving building permits in order to gain favor.

Oops, yes I did leave out that word. I got distracted by a phone call. Thanks for correcting. And yes I heard of him agreeing to give up those "ill gotten gains", but as I understand it that doesn't clear him of the violation which occurs simply from him having the potential for the foreign profit.  He will have a bit of a tougher task tryimg to change the constitution to suit his needs than simply getting rid of the ACA

17 hours ago, kimmy said:

America under President Trump:

-a Housing and Urban Development Secretary who thinks the Great Pyramids are giant granaries

Hey, you be nice to Ben Carson. He's perhaps the most honest person Trump could have in his cabinet.

During his confirmation, he stated: "It will not be my intention to do anything to benefit any American."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ben-carson-not-benefit-american-flubs-article-1.2944855

(Yes, I realize it was just a slip of the tongue. Funny though.)

By the way, in your list, you forgot to include: A Department of Energy Secretary who wanted to eliminate the department. (And who, at one point, didn't seem to know what the department did.)

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/energy-department-sec-nominee-rick-perry-i-regret-calls-nix-n708916

9 minutes ago, Omni said:

And yes I heard of him agreeing to give up those "ill gotten gains", but as I understand it that doesn't clear him of the violation which occurs simply from him having the potential for the foreign profit.  He will have a bit of a tougher task tryimg to change the constitution to suit his needs than simply getting rid of the ACA

The problem is, I think the group that would be responsible for dealing with violations is Congress, and since the Republicans control both the house and senate, they may just as likely look the other way as they would to actually enforce the constitution. (After all, they probably don't want to see one of "their own" get turfed out... it might make them look bad.)

1 hour ago, betsy said:

Tell them - welcome to the real world! 

If they can get away with less, that means they're over-staffed. 

Union benefits are out of control!  Why would you pay - under Unionized conditions -  staff you don't really need?

And why pay them a pension? Sayyyyy, aren't you living on a pension... ?

11 minutes ago, segnosaur said:

The problem is, I think the group that would be responsible for dealing with violations is Congress, and since the Republicans control both the house and senate, they may just as likely look the other way as they would to actually enforce the constitution. (After all, they probably don't want to see one of "their own" get turfed out... it might make them look bad.)

Yes the clause has yet to be tested in court and is unlikely to be any time soon, so the only way it could likely bite him would be through impeachment, which as you point out is unlikely with his clout in congress. However if he continues to bring ever more division and shame to his party, they will have an ace up their sleeve they can always pay to stop him.

And in yet another example of Trump incompetence...

The commander of the Washington D.C. national guard (the only one appointed by the president, and one of the key figures involved in security during the inauguration) is being turfed out, during inauguration day.

The current commander (Errol Schwartz) served under both Bush and Obama (so its not like he's some partisan hack). Usually, people in this situation offer their resignation, and its turned down; but the incoming Trump administration decided to let the guy go (so technically a resignation, but in reality he was fired.)

Of course, changing a key security figure at such a time (when I suspect everyone will be on high alert) should be considered silly (and a little dangerous). When all this hit the news, the Trump transition team tried to smooth things over by giving him "a few extra days", something he turned down. Can't say I blame him.

http://www.snopes.com/2017/01/14/national-guard-commander-inauguration/

1 hour ago, Omni said:

It would make sense if you knew what the emoluments portion speaks of. Basically if some official in Chima checked into a Trump hotel Trump corp. is making money illegally. 

So, they'd have to to have a big sign that says, "No Officials from China allowed in Trump Hotel?" :lol:

If there are legitimate cause for concern, I'm sure they'll all come out due to check and balances.  I bet Trump will be the most watched President since there are those who're just itching to get rid of him.

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, Argus said:

And why pay them a pension? Sayyyyy, aren't you living on a pension... ?

It's not the pension!  Have you checked their sick leave?  It's obscene how much they get for sick leave when the average citizen couldn't even get any!  This is all on the taxpayers' dime.

Bottomline:  if they can function with less employees, that means they were over-staffed!

4 minutes ago, betsy said:

So, they'd have to to have a big sign that says, "No Officials from China allowed in Trump Hotel?" :lol:

Cite your source for that.

Except I didn't say that. His failure to truly divest of his foreign business interests puts him at odds with the constitution. Your little signs on hotels idea has no impact.

Soon there will be five former living Presidents. I guess there has never been more than that;

When Clinton started there were Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan and Bush Sr

When GW Bush started there were Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush Sr and Clinton

Soon there will be Carter, Bush Sr, Clinton, GW Bush and Obama

That may soon change as the news tells us that Bush Sr is at a critical condition.

Having said all this, there are speculations that Trump will become a former President sooner than any of us could imagine today.i

:

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's three strikes for the same people...they are out.   President Trump is very in.

Those people aren't entering the oval office. Trump is and already im contravention of the constitution. I think we all know who is striking out.

58 minutes ago, betsy said:

As has been pointed out,  profits from foreign officials staying at his hotels is only part of the issue. Other types of transactions (giving building permits for any new buildings his business puts up, changes in regulations, etc.) are also potential conflicts of interest.

If there are legitimate cause for concern, I'm sure they'll all come out due to check and balances.

What checks and balances? Congress (who would be involved in the impeachment) is currently controlled by the republicans, who are probably not likely to turn on a president who is also a republican because it might give them a bad name. 

I bet Trump will be the most watched President since there are those who're just itching to get rid of him.

He's also the most flawed president (in terms of being racist, and incompetent, and petty and vindictive). But, it still hasn't changed the fact that shortly we will have a barely-trained orangutan as "leader of the free world" (well, the president used to be the leader of the free world. But now, who gets that label... Putin?)

28 minutes ago, Omni said:

Those people aren't entering the oval office. Trump is and already im contravention of the constitution. I think we all know who is striking out.

Meh...President Obama and other presidents didn't seem to worry about such things.   Let some Canadians worry about it...it seems to matter to them more.

7 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Meh...President Obama and other presidents didn't seem to worry about such things.   Let some Canadians worry about it...it seems to matter to them more.

You seem to be missing the point, other presidents including Obama weren't breaking the rules when they entered office, unless of course you were hoodwinked by Trump's birther BS. But hey, he's your president, so you have to deal with it. We just enjoy watching the gong show up here.

22 minutes ago, Omni said:

You seem to be missing the point, other presidents including Obama weren't breaking the rules when they entered office, unless of course you were hoodwinked by Trump's birther BS. But hey, he's your president, so you have to deal with it. We just enjoy watching the gong show up here.

And you still haven't figured it out....Trump's campaign was all about breaking the rules....that's why/how he won the election.

He will be the next U.S. president, and the world is watching...."because it matters so much" (according to Justin Trudeau).

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

And you still haven't figured it out....Trump's campaign was all about breaking the rules....that's why/how he won the election.

He will be the next U.S. president, and the world is watching...."because it matters so much" (according to Justin Trudeau).

And you apparently haven't figured out that campaigns are nothing to do with reality. Taking the oath of office is.

21 minutes ago, Omni said:

And you apparently haven't figured out that campaigns are nothing to do with reality. Taking the oath of office is.

It's reality for Hillary Clinton....and all the Canadians who hated on Trump for so long.   President Trump will now give them reasons to keep on hating.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It's reality for Hillary Clinton....and all the Canadians who hated on Trump for so long.   President Trump will now give them reasons to keep on hating.

We don't hate him, we just laugh at him. But you poor guys have to live under him.

Just now, Omni said:

We don't hate him, we just laugh at him. But you poor guys have to live under him.

Trump's America is getting a lot of attention around the world....far more than Trudeau's Canada.    Ever wonder why that is ?

Canada will be watching more closely than it already has for many decades....because it matters.

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump's America is getting a lot of attention around the world....far more than Trudeau's Canada.    Ever wonder why that is ?

Canada will be watching more closely than it already has for many decades....because it matters.

Ha ha, I don't have to wonder why, it's blatantly apparent. You have a buffoon heading for your White House. And one who most of your people didn't vote for so it is fun to watch. But I doubt it will be for decades. I'm betting Trump won't make the end of his first term.

Just now, Omni said:

Ha ha, I don't have to wonder why, it's blatantly apparent. You have a buffoon heading for your White House. And one who most of your people didn't vote for so it is fun to watch. But I doubt it will be for decades. I'm betting Trump won't make the end of his first term.

Trump's America matters more to the world than Trudeau's Canada....always has....always will.   President Trump will continue a long tradition of American domestic and foreign policies driven by the Executive branch of the U.S. government.   The power is granted by the governed for American interests.  

The inauguration party has already started in D.C. and elsewhere.   The protesters are getting ready too...even the wannabes from Canada. 

It's going to be a great show.