America under President Trump

7 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada (BC) works harder to mine and export COAL....just like the United States.

If you want to put a down payment on it, we'll agree to ship you our coal mining equipment in a few years when we're done with it. The fact nobody else will want it does drive the price down, but the fact you'll need it drives it up. I'm sure we can work out a deal.

8 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

President Trump offered to negotiate a more favourable climate change hoax treaty, one that would have to be ratified by the U.S. Senate.

Canada is so concerned about climate change it spends far less than the U.S. on climate data collection and research.

So you wear the same blinders as Trump that climate change is a hoax?

Trump stuck his foot in his mouth yet again during his speech today with what I guess he hoped would be a patriotic little quip by saying "I was elected to represent Pittsburgh, not Paris" except he forgot he wasn't elected in Pittsburgh. 

I agree with Trump on the Paris accord. He's right in that it's a big cash grab. He's right in that it will make the US less competitive.

The media likes to talk about how 200 countries signed onto the thing, but they never point out that only about two dozen actually made commitments to cut CO2 emissions and to fork over cash to be distributed to, basically, all the others. (which was why all the others signed on). This agreement makes mostly western countries poorer. They are expected to put in place expensive controls on their emissions and also fork over money to the third world. Meanwhile third world countries aren't required to do a damned thing except take the money.

China, responsible for 30% of world emissions, has sort of put in place a kind of "trust us" promise to start working on Co2 emissions some day, like, starting in a few decades, much like India and Russia.

Stupid agreement that goes against the interests of western countries.

How many countries do you think actually measurably contribute to CO2 levels?  Damn those Namibians!  Not carrying their weight.

China has funded & built more green technologies than Canada could hope to in the next decade so you'll have to try your opinion again. #dirtyforeigners

14 minutes ago, Argus said:

I agree with Trump on the Paris accord. He's right in that it's a big cash grab. He's right in that it will make the US less competitive.

The media likes to talk about how 200 countries signed onto the thing, but they never point out that only about two dozen actually made commitments to cut CO2 emissions and to fork over cash to be distributed to, basically, all the others. (which was why all the others signed on). This agreement makes mostly western countries poorer. They are expected to put in place expensive controls on their emissions and also fork over money to the third world. Meanwhile third world countries aren't required to do a damned thing except take the money.

China, responsible for 30% of world emissions, has sort of put in place a kind of "trust us" promise to start working on Co2 emissions some day, like, starting in a few decades, much like India and Russia.

Stupid agreement that goes against the interests of western countries.

China has reduced coal consumption three years running in spite of maintaining near 7% economic growth. It has been the largest producer of wind generated power since 2010. They are big emitters but know they have a problem and are doing something about it. 

Trump is kind of like the Taliban except he only wants to turn the clock back 100 years instead of 1000. Yesterday's man.

7 minutes ago, Bob Macadoo said:

How many countries do you think actually measurably contribute to CO2 levels?  Damn those Namibians!  Not carrying their weight.

China has funded & built more green technologies than Canada could hope to in the next decade so you'll have to try your opinion again. #dirtyforeigners

I'm sure China has funded more green technologies than Canada. I'm sure it's funded a lot more coal plants than Canada too. In fact, it's funding hundreds of them all over the world. Your reply is brainless and ignorant.

4 minutes ago, Wilber said:

China has reduced coal consumption three years running in spite of maintaining near 7% economic growth. It has been the largest producer of wind generated power since 2010. They are big emitters but know they have a problem and are doing something about it.

Fine. Let them commit to the same cutbacks in CO2 as the US had committed to, in the same time frame, and to paying third world countries billions.

Edited by Argus

7 minutes ago, Wilber said:

...Trump is kind of like the Taliban except he only wants to turn the clock back 100 years instead of 1000. Yesterday's man.

Nonsense....such comparisons mean that Canada's governments have also been "like the Taliban" because of its massive, half ass epic Kyoto Treaty FAIL.

.....I'm sure yesterday's man will still whine about China stealing those green jobs he's abdicated.

7 minutes ago, Wilber said:

I think it is good that the rest of the world is staying committed to Paris because it has to commit to something. Yesterdays man can lead yesterday's country.

2 minutes ago, Wilber said:

I think it is good that the rest of the world is staying committed to Paris because it has to commit to something. Yesterdays man can lead yesterday's country.

Good....the U.S. didn't put any pressure on Canada to submit to such a stupid agreement. 

So why all the tears from north of the border ?

Just now, Bob Macadoo said:

.....I'm sure yesterday's man will still whine about China stealing those green jobs he's abdicated.

Probably but I think US industrial leaders who have a world view, as well as governors of states like California and New York are a lot smarter than Trump so they will press on in spite of him.

Just now, Wilber said:

Probably but I think US industrial leaders who have a world view, as well as governors of states like California and New York are a lot smarter than Trump so they will press on in spite of him.

Correct...they have been leading Canada on green research and innovation for decades.