Sins Of Homolka

Big Guy

Karla Homolka is back in the news. She is currently living in a small town in Quebec and has three children of school age. For the younger readers, Karla was convicted of manslaughter about 25 years ago in a very sensational trial:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karla_Homolka

The details of the crimes were very distasteful and many who followed the trial feel as if her plea and result did not reflect the seriousness of the crime. Karla has been followed (hounded?) by a small group of interested people since she was released from jail. That group has found her in Châteauguay, Quebec and her neighbors and parents of her children's schoolmates are also upset.

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/school-board-reassures-parents-after-rumours-of-karla-hamolkas-return-spread-in-chateauguay

She has "done her time" and has not broken the law since her trial. She should be entitled to the same privacy as all other convicts who have paid their debt to society - yet - she is still being hunted and vilified.

Would you be concerned about her children being in the same classroom as your children?

Would you allow your child to go over for a "sleepover" at Karla's house?

Should neighbors be informed when a convicted and released murderer settles into their community?

Should Karla be left alone and allowed to become anonymous in our society?

Edited by Big Guy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our criminal justice system says no.

Do we want to institute some vigilante justice? Perhaps Batman can help out.

I know what happened. I followed the case closely. I'm giving my opinion that she should still be in prison. I have absolutely no sympathy for her nor care if she is harassed.

Do you have batman's ear?

Edited by WestCoastRunner

I know what happened. I followed the case closely. I'm giving my opinion that she should still be in prison. I have absolutely no sympathy for her nor care if she is harassed.

It actually sounds like she's living her life fine, especially if she had a family without the media knowing.

If people want to make it their goal to make her life miserable that's on them, I guess.

It's not going to bring justice to the girls that she killed though.

Edited by Boges

It actually sounds like she's living her life fine, especially if she had a family without the media knowing.

If people want to make it their goal to make her life miserable that's on them, I guess.

It's not going to bring justice to the girls that she killed though.

Put her in a room with the parents (including her own). Let them at her.

Only because she got off easy and was allowed to have a family while her actions caused insurmountable grief and snuffed out 3 young lives.

Well then perhaps you should focus your anger at the lawyers that offered her the deal.

I think she's either:

Completely amoral and doesn't care about the public's distain

or

100% remorseful of what she did and is just trying to live her life and being harassed by the public does absolutely nothing productive to society but just goes to enforce a mob mentality.

Edited by Boges

Well then perhaps you should focus your anger at the lawyers that offered her the deal.

I think she's either:

Completely amoral and doesn't care about the public's distain

or

100% remorseful of what she did and is just trying to live her life and being harassed by the public does absolutely nothing productive to society but just goes to enforce a mob mentality.

They cut a deal before the video was found. As far as her feeling remorseful. Who cares.

They cut a deal before the video was found. As far as her feeling remorseful. Who cares.

Well the justice system generally cares about stuff like that.

But then again she served the sentence she was given and not a day less, so it's irrelevant.

I guess she got over on everyone, but our system allowed it.

But then again she served the sentence she was given and not a day less, so it's irrelevant.

I'm not arguing that. As I said I have no sympathy if she is being harassed.

If our justice system was infalliable, you would have a point. However, in this particular case, justice was not served.

She was offered a plea based on the assumption that she was a victim herself, but evidence surfaced showing that she was in fact much more complicit than the prosecution believed.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but it doesn't mean she's innocent or rehabilitated.

That doesn't answer my question. You said she had the choice of letting the girls go. If you were in her shoes, would you have crossed him?

It's not a matter of crossing him. She enjoyed the torture and abuse as much as he did. She wasn't his victim. She was a willing partner. She didn't want to let them go She enjoyed their suffering.

That doesn't answer my question. You said she had the choice of letting the girls go. If you were in her shoes, would you have crossed him?

I've often tried to put myself in her shoes under this pretext because I know what it's like find myself in complete disbelief of things I have allowed while 'in love' with someone who was no good for me.

However, I really would like to believe that if my husband murdered someone in my presence I would go to the police instead of gleefully partaking in the next one.

I've often tried to put myself in her shoes under this pretext because I know what it's like find myself in complete disbelief of things I have allowed while 'in love' with someone who was no good for me.

However, I really would like to believe that if my husband murdered someone in my presence I would go to the police instead of gleefully partaking in the next one.

She completely blindsided everyone. She was no victim.

There is no evidence that I'm aware of that she wasn't a willing participant.