Why is criticizm of Israel considered Anti-semitism?

Sem·ite
ˈsemīt/
noun
noun: Semite; plural noun: Semites
  1. a member of any of the peoples who speak or spoke a Semitic language, including in particular the Jews and Arabs.
Origin
an·ti
ˈanˌtī,ˈan(t)ē/
preposition
preposition: anti
  1. 1.
    opposed to; against.
    "I'm anti the abuse of drink and the hassle that it causes"
adjective
informal
adjective: anti
  1. 1.
    opposed.
    "neither side in the debate, whether anti or pro, has offered a particularly convincing case"
noun
informal
noun: anti; plural noun: antis
  1. 1.
    a person opposed to a particular policy, activity, or idea.
    "a shadow army of antis who endanger your sport"
Origin
late 18th century (as a noun): independent usage of anti-.
anti-
prefix
prefix: anti-; prefix: ant-
  1. opposed to; against.
    "antiaircraft"
    • preventing or suppressing.
      "antibacterial"
    • reversing or undoing.
      "anticoagulant"
    • the opposite of.
      "anticlimax"
    • Physics
      the opposite state of matter or of a specified particle.
      "antimatter"
    • acting as a rival.
      "antipope"
    • unlike the conventional form.
      "antihero"
Origin
representing Greek anti ‘against.’
Translate anti to

AntiSemite means opposed to Jews AND ARABS.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look...as much as you'd like to change the definition of antisemite, it's still going to mean hatred of Jews as that what the word was coined to mean by Wilhelm Marr in the very book I posted a link to.

That you wish to change the definition from what Marr and Webster's says is quite telling to me. While jacee is merely ignorant of history...embarrassingly so...you're one of those fellows that would try to produce evidence that Poland attacked Germany in 1939.

;)

Look...as much as you'd like to change the definition of antisemite, it's still going to mean hatred of Jews as that what the word was coined to mean by Wilhelm Marr in the very book I posted a link to.

That you wish to change the definition from what Marr and Webster's says is quite telling to me. While jacee is merely ignorant of history...embarrassingly so...you're one of those fellows that would try to produce evidence that Poland attacked Germany in 1939.

;)

Nobody's changing anything. Jews and Arabs are both Semitic peoples. The use of 'antisemitic' to refer only to Jews always was an error.

Anti Jew would be more accurate.

Criticizing Israel is neither.

;)

a member of a group of people originally of southwestern Asia that includes Jews and Arabs.

This is according to the very same source Webster's....

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/semite

Edited by kactus

a member of a group of people originally of southwestern Asia that includes Jews and Arabs.

This is according to the very same source Webster's....

Again...you're free to change the meaning. Everybody else knows what it means,

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti%E2%80%93Semitism

Edited by DogOnPorch

Nobody's changing anything. Jews and Arabs are both Semitic peoples. The use of 'antisemitic' to refer only to Jews always was an error.

Anti Jew would be more accurate.

Criticizing Israel is neither.

Antisemite means hatred of Jews. Not something else.

You are the one changing the meaning by denying that Semites and Arabs. The Dictionaries disagree with you. Semites are Arabs as well as Jews.

Now are you going to claim that Marr coined the word Anti now?

From Webster's...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anti%E2%80%93Semitism

Full Definition of anti–Semitism
  1. : hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group

anti–Semiticplay \-sə-ˈmi-tik\ adjective
anti–Semiteplay \-ˈse-ˌmīt\ noun

Antisemitism means hatred of Jews. Not Arabs.

Anti means opposed. Semitic means Jews or Arabs. Or more broadly to speakers of Semitic languages.

If people see it as only applying to Jews that is showing a false bias in their thinking.

What kind of bias do you think you're showing?

Anti means opposed. Semitic means Jews or Arabs. Or more broadly to speakers of Semitic languages.

If people see it as only applying to Jews that is showing a false bias in their thinking.

Then get on the phone to Websters.

Then get on the phone to Websters.

Semiteplay
noun Sem·ite \ˈse-ˌmīt, especially British ˈsē-ˌmīt\
Simple Definition of Semite
  • : a member of a group of people originally of southwestern Asia that includes Jews and Arabs

Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
Full Definition of Semite
  1. 1a : a member of any of a number of peoples of ancient southwestern Asia including the Akkadians, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabsb : a descendant of these peoples

2. 2 : a member of a modern people speaking a Semitic language

Simple Definition of Semitic

• : of or relating to the language family that includes Hebrew and Arabic

• : of or relating to the Semites

Full Definition of Semitic

1. 1 : of, relating to, or constituting a subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic language family that includes Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, and Amharic

2. 2 : of, relating to, or characteristic of the Semites

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/semitic

Simple Definition of Semitic
  • : of or relating to the language family that includes Hebrew and Arabic

• : of or relating to the Semites

Full Definition of Semitic
  1. 1 : of, relating to, or constituting a subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic language family that includes Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, and Amharic

2. 2 : of, relating to, or characteristic of the Semites

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/semitic

What does the same dictionary say about antisemite? You know, the definition I posted...

BTW, only an antisemite would WANT to change the definition of the word 'antisemite' as Argus has already pointed out.

Only a desperate conservative would cite a clueless lefty to try and revise history to their liking.

I'm not revising history....nor did I vote Tory.

Antisemitism means what Webster's dictionary says....as Marr coined it.

I'm not revising history....nor did I vote Tory.

Antisemitism means what Webster's dictionary says....as Marr coined it.

The websters dictionary says that Anti means opposed and that Semitic means both Jews and Arabs, so if it fails to include Arabs in the term Antisemitic then it is failling its own dictionary definition of both Anti and Semitic.

What does the same dictionary say about antisemite? You know, the definition I posted...

BTW, only an antisemite would WANT to change the definition of the word 'antisemite' as Argus has already pointed out.

That's silly. The current definition of Antisemitic you are using is antisemitic, because it doesn't include Arabs in the term, when in the same dictionary it says the word Semitic applies to Arabs as well.

That's silly. The current definition of Antisemitic you are using is antisemitic, because it doesn't include Arabs in the term, when in the same dictionary it says the word Semitic applies to Arabs as well.

That's all fine, but in the context of this thread, we are talking about anti-semitism towards Jews specifically.

The websters dictionary says that Anti means opposed and that Semitic means both Jews and Arabs, so if it fails to include Arabs in the term Antisemitic then it is failling its own dictionary definition of both Anti and Semitic.

But...yet again...the same dictionary defines antisemitism as hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group...which is what it means...and designed to mean by a proto-Nazi named Wilhelm Marr...as cited.

Why do you wish to change the meaning of the word?