Still Going to Buy the F-35, Really?

Hoser360

6 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Right...the USMC hasn't operated Harriers from jeep carriers for years.

:lol:

Comparing Harriers and F 35's simply enhances your apparent ignorance of the subject. Check out the F 35B problems with the USS America and update yourself a little. 

1 minute ago, Omni said:

Comparing Harriers and F 35's simply enhances your apparent ignorance of the subject. Check out the F 35B problems with the USS America and update yourself a little. 

Yawn.

I just posted a 15 minute video of F-35s landing and taking-off the USS America under normal operating conditions.

No holes were burned into any deck. But, I believe that you see them. I really do.

24 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

I see the USS America has a 12 plane F-35 squadron now on-board. It sure must save wear n' tear on the ol' deck...no wires or catapults needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwoGkDGDtS8

Nice.....Marine Corps aviation is getting nice kit these days.    F-35 lift fan exhaust wash leaves a unique wake.

5 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Yawn.

I just posted a 15 minute video of F-35s landing and taking-off the USS America under normal operating conditions.

No holes were burned into any deck. But, I believe that you see them. I really do.

Yep, after 40 weeks of upgrades to enable her to handle the aircraft she was originally designed to accommodate. Whad'ya think that cost?

3 minutes ago, Omni said:

Yep, after 40 weeks of upgrades to enable her to handle the aircraft she was originally designed to accommodate. Whad'ya think that cost?

What do you care? Like you're paying for US carriers?

Canada isn't getting them...nor any jeep carriers anytime soon. Canada lost that opportunity, as well...Canada is really good at missing the bus.

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

What do you care? Like you're paying for US carriers?

Canada isn't getting them...nor any jeep carriers anytime soon. Canada lost that opportunity, as well...Canada is really good at missing the bus.

Why would we buy a "bus" when we need a fighter aircraft? 

Carrier decks use special non-slip coatings that are very expensive, I wonder what the downward exhaust does to them. I believe the makeup of the coating is different on the landing area of the deck to limit wear and tear on the arresting cables, where other parts of the deck have more durable materials embedded into them. 

Just now, ?Impact said:

Carrier decks use special non-slip coatings that are very expensive, I wonder what the downward exhaust does to them. I believe the makeup of the coating is different on the landing area of the deck to limit wear and tear on the arresting cables, where other parts of the deck have more durable materials embedded into them. 

Watch the video...no holes were burned into decks.

1 minute ago, DogOnPorch said:

Watch the video...no holes were burned into decks.

A video of one, or even several landings/takeoffs is not going to show the wear. You would need to do a much more detailed study to understand if any degradation is taking place. I believe flight decks are resurfaced after about 10,000 landings (about 2 years), and the carrier is out of commission for several weeks to complete that task. The question is will that cycle change with the VTOL aircraft.

3 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

A video of one, or even several landings/takeoffs is not going to show the wear. You would need to do a much more detailed study to understand if any degradation is taking place. I believe flight decks are resurfaced after about 10,000 landings (about 2 years), and the carrier is out of commission for several weeks to complete that task. The question is will that cycle change with the VTOL aircraft.

The problem basically is that the single engine has to burn so hot to produce enough power for VTOL it was burning the decks. A lot of expensive mods had to be made. That's to the ship decks. Then there is the problem with that single hot engine.

3 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

Yes...this will have a major impact on Canada's replacement strike fighter.   Trudeau should wait for a detailed study of America class flight deck properties while operating F-35s.   

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Yes...this will have a major impact on Canada's replacement strike fighter.   Trudeau should wait for a detailed study of America class flight deck properties while operating F-35s.   

Heheh...that should waste a few years. Granted!

Just now, ?Impact said:

Canada is was not ordering the VTOL version.

Just now, ?Impact said:

Canada is not ordering the VTOL version.

So ?   What the U.S. does seems to be a very potent distraction for some Canadians.   I like the "burning flight deck" misdirection play.

If the U.S. cannot keep their flight decks from melting, then the world is DOOMED !

On 12/31/2016 at 4:11 PM, Omni said:

Just don't use the VTOL version or you'll burn a hole in the deck.

It is true that there were some initial problems where landing the F35B on the deck of some of the newer ships was causing unexpected heat damage.

However, it should be pointed out that the problem was not restricted to the F35.. Modifications also had to be done to handle the Osprey, that was also causing damage.

https://news.usni.org/2014/01/15/sna-2014-heat-f-35-mv-22-continue-plague-big-deck-amphibs

1 minute ago, segnosaur said:

It is true that there were some initial problems where landing the F35B on the deck of some of the newer ships was causing unexpected heat damage.

However, it should be pointed out that the problem was not restricted to the F35.. Modifications also had to be done to handle the Osprey, that was also causing damage.

https://news.usni.org/2014/01/15/sna-2014-heat-f-35-mv-22-continue-plague-big-deck-amphibs

Yes indeed, I am familiar with that problem they encountered as well. I forget off the top of my head the ITT of the 35 engine when it is up at hover power but it is huge. (notice I refrained from using the Trump version):)