Changes coming to immigration language rules.

PIK

So you think the OECD is fluff then, or you just didn't bother to open the link inside the link?

Did I read a 420 page report? No, I didn't. Did you?

I'm betting you didn't even open it yourself so didn't realize it was 420 pages long.

Edited by Argus

No I scrolled down to that portion that deals with Canada.

Maybe you could read the Stats Canada report which deals with Canada, and with this particular subject.

And I'm still waiting for you to explain how not being able to speak English or French will improve your economic prospects in Canada.

Edited by Argus

Maybe you could read the Stats Canada report which deals with Canada, and with this particular subject.

And I'm still waiting for you to explain how not being able to speak English or French will improve your economic prospects in Canada.

I was just pointing out how actual stats fly in the face of your previous post about how immigrants have done in Canada. I think you don't need me to explain how a language barrier could be a setback, but obviously previous immigrants got over that. You learned a language once, and so can they.

I was just pointing out how actual stats fly in the face of your previous post about how immigrants have done in Canada. I think you don't need me to explain how a language barrier could be a setback, but obviously previous immigrants got over that. You learned a language once, and so can they.

You didn't post any actual stats. The actual stats come from Canada, and all of them have said immigrant economic success has been steadily deteriorating. And really, no one in Canada needs stats to show that. We all see who occupies the lowest level of jobs, and who fills the welfare rolls and low income housing projects.

And I'm again waiting for you to tell us how immigrant economic success is going to be improved by not requiring they speak the language before gaining citizenship.

Perhaps most importantly, language skills appear to mediate the rate of return to formal education. Immigrants with good language skills in English or French can much more easily convert their education to earnings than those with poor skills.

Overall, language skills appear to have a significant direct and indirect influence on labour market outcomes, and are key to positive outcomes.

http://www.clsrn.econ.ubc.ca/workingpapers/CLSRN%20Working%20Paper%20no.%20107%20-%20Ferrer,%20Picot,%20Riddell.pdf

The rising number of new immigrants who are living in poverty in Canada is a “tinderbox” that could explode into an “inferno,” a new study warns.

More than 36 per cent of immigrants who have been in the country for less than five years live in poverty, according to the latest Canadian Labour Market Report. That compares to 25 per cent in the 1980s.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/06/28/growing-poverty-among-canadian-immigrants-could-explode-study/

Edited by Argus

Learning French or English when they're here isn't the issue.

It's knowing some of it before they come here that's being questioned.

As much as I detest Trudeau, I don't really care if new immigrants understand any english or french before they cross our doorstep. As long as they learn an official language within a reasonable time frame to the point where they can conduct their business in it I'm fine.

That won't be the case though - http://globalnews.ca/news/2417019/richmond-homeowners-claim-non-mandarin-speakers-excluded-from-strata-council/ There's no chance that any liberal gov't will have the spine to put common sense ahead of overblown "liberalism" to handle an issue like this.

Do I trust the liberals to keep immigrants on pace to learn official languages within a reasonable time frame? Not a chance. If they won't take away citizenship from immigrants for lying about their intentions to kill Canadians then why would they deny citizenship for something as trivial as learning 1,000 words of english? I know I'd rather have an immigrant here that couldn't speak english than an immigrant who wants to kill women and children to satisfy his imaginary friend. I guess there's no point in me running for election here for a while.

Here is a link and quote for anyone who needs to see it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/09/28/bill-c-24-trudeau-audio-conservatives_n_8206798.html

"And I'll give you the quote so that you guys can jot it down and put it in an attack ad somewhere that the Liberal Party believes that terrorists should get to keep their Canadian citizenship," he said. "Because I do. And I'm willing to take on anyone who disagrees with that."

FYI, when he says "terrorists" there he's actually referring to immigrants who made it through the liberals oh-so stringent vetting process and gained citizenship. "Terrorists" includes both people caught attempting to commit terrorist attacks and people who actually managed to kill Canadians.

Edited by WestCanMan

Just heard on the radio that the liberals are getting rid of the policy that immigrants need to know some french or english. McCullum said that someone bringing in family members like a grandmother should not have to speak one of the languages. Now it seems the liberals are lying again. In harper's policy anyone over 55 is exempt. So it seems this is political, all the immigrant will need to know is how to put a X beside a liberals names in a election. The amount of lies being told by this group is astonishing. I will put up a link when it comes available.

And Justin** Trudeau wants to bring in 25,000 - 50,000 Syrians who most likely don't speak either language. Of course there will always be ESL courses for them to take, and all no doubt will be at the Canadian taxpayer's expense, which if we taxpayer's are lucky, should cost us several million tax dollars. Ah yes, our political correct pro- multicultural politicians sure know how to spend our tax dollars wisely. :rolleyes:

Edited by Charles Anthony
spelling "Justin** Trudeau"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Liberals have announced they're lowering the standards for becoming a Canadian. Given who they accepted as their leader I'm not surprised.

No longer need potential Canadians promise to actually live here! And they won't have to spend as much time here before picking up their passport and heading 'home'. The Liberals understand many immigrants simply want the passport for insurance purposes and then want to live elsewhere, and wish to make it easier on them. Don't worry. They'll return when their own country blows up or they need health care.

It's also good to know terrorists are still much admired by Liberals. I can see the next campaign poster now, a beaming Justin Trudeau with his arm around a pair of glaring terrorists, and the banner "These are MY kind of Canadians!"

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/liberals-to-pull-back-tory-citizenship-rules-restoring-citizenship-terrorism

If you spend more than 6 months out of the country, your healthcare expires and you lose coverage until you've been back for at least six months. That includes anyone born in Canada.

Healthcare is provided to refugees as humanitarian aid, but you seem to continue to struggle with the difference between refugees and immigrants.

Well, the Liberals have announced they're lowering the standards for becoming a Canadian. Given who they accepted as their leader I'm not surprised.

No longer need potential Canadians promise to actually live here! And they won't have to spend as much time here before picking up their passport and heading 'home'. The Liberals understand many immigrants simply want the passport for insurance purposes and then want to live elsewhere, and wish to make it easier on them. Don't worry. They'll return when their own country blows up or they need health care.

It's also good to know terrorists are still much admired by Liberals. I can see the next campa

ign poster now, a beaming Justin Trudeau with his arm around a pair of glaring terrorists, and the banner "These are MY kind of Canadians!"

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/liberals-to-pull-back-tory-citizenship-rules-restoring-citizenship-terrorism

I would not put it past the liberals and Trudeau to come up with the plan that once an immigrant is here for a year he will automatically become a Canadian citizen. Gawd, maybe they will make it for 6 months. And yes, I have heard of many new immigrants, that after they have obtained their Canadian citizenship, they took off back to their country. The taxpayer's are constantly being made fools of by liberal politicians and the mainstream liberal media. Those two together can never be trusted to use taxpayer's tax dollars wisely.

Massive refugee immigration and multiculturalism has cost the Canadian taxpayer's billions of tax dollars over the decades. The Tories tried to not make becoming a Canadian citizen an easy and cheap thing, but the liberals, well they want to change that now. And starting with the liberals in the early 60's, they have done everything within their power to change the flow of where our new immigrants would come from. Our traditional immigration policy of the past was that more British and European immigrants were the majority of new immigrants. Now they are in the minority status. There is something wrong with the picture.

It's also good to know terrorists are still much admired by Liberals. I can see the next campa

ign poster now, a beaming Justin Trudeau with his arm around a pair of glaring terrorists, and the banner "These are MY kind of Canadians!"

I would not put it past the liberals and Trudeau to come up with the plan that once an immigrant is here for a year he will automatically become a Canadian citizen. Gawd, maybe they will make it for 6 months. And yes, I have heard of many new immigrants, that after they have obtained their Canadian citizenship, they took off back to their country. The taxpayer's are constantly being made fools of by liberal politicians and the mainstream liberal media. Those two together can never be trusted to use taxpayer's tax dollars wisely.

Massive refugee immigration and multiculturalism has cost the Canadian taxpayer's billions of tax dollars over the decades. The Tories tried to not make becoming a Canadian citizen an easy and cheap thing, but the liberals, well they want to change that now. And starting with the liberals in the early 60's, they have done everything within their power to change the flow of where our new immigrants would come from. Our traditional immigration policy of the past was that more British and European immigrants were the majority of new immigrants. Now they are in the minority status. There is something wrong with the picture.

Do you have even the slightest idea of where the majority of immigrants to Canada come from? Can you provide sites to back up anything you claim? Please provide.

Edited by On Guard for Thee

Do you have even the slightest idea of where the majority of immigrants to Canada come from? Can you provide sites to back up anything you claim? Or are you just mired in the same sort of xenophobia as is your buddy there? Please provide.

Yes, I do have an excellent idea as to where the majority of our new immigrants are coming from. Check with the Canada Immigration website, as I have done. There it will tell as to where the majority of our new immigrants are coming from. Approx. 80-85% of our new immigrants are coming from what we call third world countries. You can also check out Paul Fromm's website. His website can tell you all you need to know about where our new immigrants are coming from. For example, walk in downtown Toronto and look around. It doesn't look any more like the old Toronto of fifty years ago.

I am not mired in anything. Just pointing things out as I see them and wonder and question why and what is going on here in Canada. That's all.

I have a solution:

Impose a language tax on all Canadians to cover Federal translation costs but then exempt any person who knows both official language well any couple that share both official languages and at least one common language between them.

That way, even if one member of the couple speak neither official language well, at least we know he has access to a free interpreter.

This would effectively make it a user-pay tax.

Also, given that it's English and French Canadians who benefit the most from the CBC, make it opt-in for anyone who doesn't want it.

As for everyone else, their ignorance of both official languages is the reason we pay so much in taxes to translate everything.

Also, this trilingual old-stock Canadian would like to apologise to other old-stock Canadians for having studied Chinese.

Furthermore, I'd like to apologise to my fellow old-stock Canadians for having married a Chinese.

Now it might make some feel good to know that she probably passes both the Bazi nose test (she has a relatively short nose) and the old South African hair test (I doubt a pencil would stay in her hair for long given how straight it is.