What are teachers doing on PD Days?

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/30/zumba-yoga-fishing-and-other-pd-day-fun-for-teachers

So Sun columnist Christina Blizzard got her hands on a list of "Professional Development" activities that teachers in the Durham region on Ontario got to choose from in their upcoming PD Day.

A list of programs for the Nov. 20 PD day obtained by the Toronto Sun shows teachers were offered everything from a visit to S. Capers, an adventure escape room in Whitby, to an afternoon of Zumba.

Teachers could also take “Bicycle Repair and Riding Parabola” or various yoga classes.

In between, there was “Bollywood Bangra Workout,” “Handbuilding a coffee mug out of clay,” a class called “Crocheted Christmas cuties” and a cookie swap.

There was also a course, “If I wasn’t a teacher,” in which teachers were urged to “Come out for the day to see how fishing could help you create a healthy balance between work and daily routines.”

(Hint: Nitpickers might suggest a program on use of the subjunctive and the class could be renamed “Were I not a teacher.”

Knitting was also popular, with classes offered from beginners to “Knitting in the round — on double-pointed needles.”

There was also “Create a Monster” and a “cold and flu lecture.”

A board spokesman said it was one of seven PD days run jointly by the board and District 13 of the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation.

Parents have to either take time off or arrange childcare so teachers can essentially take field trips or work outs on a day where they're supposed to be working on their trade. Can't they do these things on their generous summer vacation?

• 4 weeks later...

I pretty sure not ALL teachers share the same activities on PD days as this school region, ours IS related to students and teaching.

How to skip school and sleeping in seminars? Attendance is as you choose LOL.

Teachers have it very very good in Ontario and I have difficulty sympathizing with their perceive issues. Largest and wealthiest union, Premier in their pocket, enough pull to change outcomes of elections.

Oh and I have 2 neighbors that are teachers, some friends and some relatives too. My comments are not rectal plucks but personal observations.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/30/zumba-yoga-fishing-and-other-pd-day-fun-for-teachers

So Sun columnist Christina Blizzard got her hands on a list of "Professional Development" activities that teachers in the Durham region on Ontario got to choose from in their upcoming PD Day.

Parents have to either take time off or arrange childcare so teachers can essentially take field trips or work outs on a day where they're supposed to be working on their trade. Can't they do these things on their generous summer vacation?

Well in fact teachers do have preparation days over the summer break also.

What you fail to understand that in fact teachers prepare for the coming year over the summer break. This means perparing lessons.

What happens is the board has its guidelines the teachers then need to plan their teaching strategies for the coming year. They will sort out what students they have, how many and plan accordingly. They may need to secure materials. These materials may be kept centrally with the board, or may have to be procured by the teacher.

Then there is meeting with the department heads or head teachers, VP's etc.. where they exist to get approval for course materials and to go over tests where tests have been standardized by the head for everyone.

There is actually quite a bit to do.

Once the school year starts getting behind can be disastrous for newer teachers so getting a head start is always advisable.

As teacher's grow in years of teaching they tend to hone in on their knowledge of what they are teaching and how to best approach it.

So even if a teacher doesn't have a PD or PA day often over the summer they are doing things to prepare for the coming year.

Teaching could be a stressful job depending on the behaviour of students in your class.

You have to understand that teachers are often on call for years and years before they get a full time teaching position. During those day they have to make themselves available anytime they get called in for supply teaching this means having a job you can call in and say you won't be in today to so you can go substitute teach when you get the chance.

This is not a job many people just apply for and get after 6 years of undergrad studies. After they spend years to get their degree and finish their professional teaching years, they then are put on a wait list for years. Eventually they may get a full time job others don't ever get full time teaching gigs as there is a lot of competition.

Many teacher's sacrifice a large part of their younger years waiting for a job teaching full time.

You need to take that into consideration of the actual job the fact that they have often woke up to check supply lists for years and years at 6 in the morning or whatnot to see if they have work that day as a teacher.

People tend to concentrate on the end result of years of dedication to the profession that gives next to no rewards.

It makes a lot of sense to rotate these days rotating tenured administrators and bring in substitute teachers on these days.

You know teachers are doing more than teaching course materials but being adult role models to students. Having real world experiences so they can relate to students is part of repoire that makes good teachers. A happy teacher is a good teacher.

Edited by nerve

Many teacher's sacrifice a large part of their younger years waiting for a job teaching full time.

You need to take that into consideration of the actual job the fact that they have often woke up to check supply lists for years and years at 6 in the morning or whatnot to see if they have work that day as a teacher.

People tend to concentrate on the end result of years of dedication to the profession that gives next to no rewards.

It makes a lot of sense to rotate these days rotating tenured administrators and bring in substitute teachers on these days.

You know teachers are doing more than teaching course materials but being adult role models to students. Having real world experiences so they can relate to students is part of repoire that makes good teachers. A happy teacher is a good teacher.

That's the teacher's fault for going into a profession where fulltime work isn't a realistic expectation out of school. In Ontario they've doubled teacher's college to stem the influx of teachers that have no hope of landing a job.

And then you have older teachers, that have tenure, who retire but double dip by supply teaching while receiving a pension.

No one is shedding any tears for teachers.

Edited by Boges

That's the teacher's fault for going into a profession where fulltime work isn't a realistic expectation out of school.

Well no it is an ideal job, this doesn't mean they arn't pursueing other jobs while also being on supply lists. Their life is not made easier by it though.

As for fault do you say its a reservists fault for volunteering to fight wars.

These are sacrifices. Some people do get those dream teaching positions. They are public servants who are contributing to society.

A B.A. or B.S. etc.. and a B.Ed are not only usable for teaching but that is what the B.Ed training is geared toward. If people simply didn't pursue teaching because only 1 in 3 of them would get the job that is like no longer having people train to go to space because you know they all wouldn't get to go. You need the talent base and competition otherwise you don't get the most experienced to do the job. So no the solution is not to stop dreaming, the solution is to recognize the dreamers and people who sacrifice for Ontario.

You know some people do give up on that dream.

And then you have older teachers, that have tenure, who retire but double dip by supply teaching while receiving a pension.

Ok and they are allowed to do that, what is the issue. If the board doesn't want them as supply teacher's they don't need to take them. The fact is, that is the board's decision, that is their chosen administrator's decision, and they want them. If you don't agree then run as a board trustee because the ones who get the public vote to make those decisions don't have a problem with getting very experienced teachers to do that.

Supply teaching is a sacrifice, it is not "a job".

Edited by nerve

• 10 months later...

The true cost of the PD days is on the parents and kids as the teachers live in a sheltered ( protected by their union) dream world

No other workplace could survive working only 4 days a week ( 2 PD days in January since the holiday)

Instead of learning- my kids play- just another teacher day off- we have run out of ideas to occupy them and any real education course we would enroll them in requires a full-time comittment-

- SO MANY PD days this year- this is no longer something to ignore

the revolt is coming- Kids and parents first!

Teachers should start to be fired- if they think full-time work is beneath them- apparently the newer ones want their jobs and are eager to work

SO BE IT

Our family can not afford anymore time off so the teachers can play after. they were hired to be full-time- if they do want the job Please move aside

and they will quickly find out how many people are waiting to fill their role- 5 days a week- and probably for less pay- with higher educational qualifications.

I am an employer and would certainly not allow 11 sick days with pay a year and all of these PD days. This is not to mention all the other perks like

summer and winter holidays and their pension fund. These teachers need a rude awakening- they dont even get how well they are treated. They think it is normal to work only from 8ish to 4 and receive full-time pay- as they await their 3 day weekend every other week.  It s time to put kids and parents first

the world is too competitive to teach my kids to be part time mentality

Edited by fairnessforall

It's a hard job, I'm sure you appreciate that.  

They have given up concessions recently too.  

If you want to push even harder then be ready for strikes and shutdowns.  There's a new appreciation for workers these days south of the border, so maybe that will translate to government union jobs too. :)

33 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

If you want to push even harder then be ready for strikes and shutdowns.  There's a new appreciation for workers these days south of the border, so maybe that will translate to government union jobs too. :)

Depends on the location. I think when the Tories get in in Ontario they are going to hammer the overpaid, underworked teachers here, who have set themselves up as an arm of the Liberal party, and have been engaging in kickbacks to the Liberals for fat salary increases for at least ten years.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

It's a hard job if you don't like teaching. It's the easiest job in the world if you do.

I think that Argus once described health care in such a way. Religious people, nuns, once worked in hospitals because they wanted to help people. It was a "calling".

Edited by August1991

22 minutes ago, Argus said:

Depends on the location. I think when the Tories get in in Ontario they are going to hammer the overpaid, underworked teachers here, who have set themselves up as an arm of the Liberal party, and have been engaging in kickbacks to the Liberals for fat salary increases for at least ten years.

I agree with Argus. Across North America, the remaining unions are largely public sector and that means health/education in Canada and education in the US (with Obamacare, health to follow... ). Governments have access to everyone's (taxpayers) debit/credit card and public sector unions have access to politicians.

In Canada, we once had a similar situation at the federal level with the postal service. We even had a federal Cabinet minister for postal service who argued/gave postal unions whatever they wanted. (This was before the Internet.)

In the long run, I suspect that education/teacher unions will follow a similar route as the postal service. Like newspapers and classified ads, technology will change how we contact/teach one another.

Health care? A whole other question. (Do nurses/hospital orderlies/doctors/clinic managers/clerks get PD days?)

=====

IOW, getting back to the OP and Professional Development (PD) days, all employees nowadays take time away from day-to-day work for "training". Even self-employed people go to conferences. Sometimes they learn something, and sometimes they don't.

Edited by August1991

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I am sure a strike would be the first reaction of these unionist mentality teachers . south of the border they do not get the payrate or time off of Ontario teachers. Would the parents get a refund for the service not provided- Parents have to pay the tax regardless- so again not fair- just like the last strikes- no compensation offered to the students or parents . If the teachers go on strike (selfishly)-as society tries to take control of this problem-and get the teachers teaching instead of NOT- then let them stay on strike- and give us are money back so we can deploy the funds efficiently .

There are lots of hard jobs-that is so condescending-( eg my job is harder than yours) if it so hard then why not dismantle the union and allow open hiring( freemarket) .If someone needs to be sacked- just like in the real workforce-it gets done. teachers pay may go up as well as the   time off- if you are so confident that the job is so difficult and underappreciated. I am sure the teachers will get back to teaching as opposed to take a job somewhere else- especially  when they see what is out there. Our students are learning from people who display bad work ethic- what a great gift they leave the parents to deal with.

the job at hand and paid for is teaching the kids -not hoping the teachers like it enough to show up

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fairnessforall said:

There are lots of hard jobs-that is so condescending-( eg my job is harder than yours) if it so hard then why not dismantle the union and allow open hiring( freemarket)  

It's not condescending to say a job is hard.  They would not agree to giving up their union, why would they ?

16 hours ago, Argus said:

Teachers are not overpaid, they are paid less than alot of blue collar workers with far less education like police and firemen who traditionally they earned alot more than.

15 hours ago, fairnessforall said:

I am sure a strike would be the first reaction of these unionist mentality teachers . south of the border they do not get the payrate or time off of Ontario teachers. Would the parents get a refund for the service not provided- Parents have to pay the tax regardless- so again not fair- just like the last strikes- no compensation offered to the students or parents . If the teachers go on strike (selfishly)-as society tries to take control of this problem-and get the teachers teaching instead of NOT- then let them stay on strike- and give us are money back so we can deploy the funds efficiently .

You know nothing about teaching south of the border, in many of these districts like montecito california, teachers average 6 figure pay checks.  In Atlantic City teachers average 94k  a year.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/longvalley/njs-highest-lowest-paid-teachers-district

" Setting the pace in Washington is the Everett School District with a top base salary of $97,445 that will rise to $103,000 for the 2017-18 school year under a new contract signed last fall. "

http://www.heraldnet.com/news/snohomish-countys-top-teachers-earn-highest-pay-in-state/

"  Lakeside Union Elementary School District’s $105,608  "

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/sdut-how-sd-unified-teacher-pay-stacks-up-2015apr11-story.html

Striking is a labor right.

15 hours ago, fairnessforall said:

There are lots of hard jobs-that is so condescending-( eg my job is harder than yours) if it so hard then why not dismantle the union and allow open hiring( freemarket) .If someone needs to be sacked- just like in the real workforce-it gets done. teachers pay may go up as well as the   time off- if you are so confident that the job is so difficult and underappreciated. I am sure the teachers will get back to teaching as opposed to take a job somewhere else- especially  when they see what is out there. Our students are learning from people who display bad work ethic- what a great gift they leave the parents to deal with.

the job at hand and paid for is teaching the kids -not hoping the teachers like it enough to show up

Dismantling the job and union, allowing open hiring will probably push the top tier talent teachers out, lower educational quality.  Teachers do not get bonuses like in the private sector, the only real reward in teaching is the benefits.  What highly skilled graduate with 2 university degrees is going to go take a job paying less than a cop, fireman, or private sector, where their pay is limited, they have difficult working conditions including walking out on snow, being hit by students, exposed to child hood illnesses of every manner.

What would most likely happen is what we seen in some Republican districts south of the border, proliferation of private schools just to get a decent standard of education and then you are going to be paying a private check plus your property taxes to get a decent education.  Everyone thinks teaching is an easy job, except the teachers, especially the ones you see home having to carry a box full of work to mark every night.

On 3/4/2016 at 0:14 PM, Argus said:

Teachers are paid far, far too much for their limited skill set.

What about teachers with substantial skill sets?  Most people cannot even manage 2-3 kids never mind a class full.

On 2/1/2016 at 3:46 PM, Boges said:

She is using extreme examples to villainize teachers, what she is, is fake news.  Most pd days are spent getting real training on things like health, safety, allergies, contamination, doing school work, discussing policy, legal things etc.  While I imagine there are some things like yoga and bike repair, they are rare.  Although many teachers have stress management issues trying to keep 30 8 year old kids in line.

6 minutes ago, hernanday said:

She is using extreme examples to villainize teachers, what she is, is fake news.  Most pd days are spent getting real training on things like health, safety, allergies, contamination, doing school work, discussing policy, legal things etc.  While I imagine there are some things like yoga and bike repair, they are rare.  Although many teachers have stress management issues trying to keep 30 8 year old kids in line.

How is that fake news? You can call it isolated or anecdotal, but not fake. 

This thread is also quite old. 

18 hours ago, fairnessforall said:

The true cost of the PD days is on the parents and kids as the teachers live in a sheltered ( protected by their union) dream world

No other workplace could survive working only 4 days a week ( 2 PD days in January since the holiday)

Teachers work on pd days, the kids have the day off, you are confusing kids with teachers.

Instead of learning- my kids play- just another teacher day off- we have run out of ideas to occupy them and any real education course we would enroll them in requires a full-time comittment-

You want teachers to be your free daycare?  Pay for your own daycare buddy.

- SO MANY PD days this year- this is no longer something to ignore

the revolt is coming- Kids and parents first!

Until your kid gets sick, injured or harmed or worse you get sued by another parents because the teacher's didn't have pd days to get trained.

Teachers should start to be fired- if they think full-time work is beneath them- apparently the newer ones want their jobs and are eager to work

SO BE IT

Teachers work full time, you have teacher hatred.

Our family can not afford anymore time off so the teachers can play after. they were hired to be full-time- if they do want the job Please move aside

and they will quickly find out how many people are waiting to fill their role- 5 days a week- and probably for less pay- with higher educational qualifications.

Alot of teachers would probably earn more and be much more happy as private sector consultants and trainers earning $250,000 a contract to train the under-educated work force.

I am an employer and would certainly not allow 11 sick days with pay a year and all of these PD days. This is not to mention all the other perks like

summer and winter holidays and their pension fund. These teachers need a rude awakening- they dont even get how well they are treated. They think it is normal to work only from 8ish to 4 and receive full-time pay- as they await their 3 day weekend every other week.  It s time to put kids and parents first

the world is too competitive to teach my kids to be part time mentality

Teachers are exposed to an unusual large number of hazards, childhood diseases and illnesses walking on ice, sleet and freezing rain multiple times a week, having to break up kids the size of adults fighting, kids kicking balls in their heads throwing hotdogs in their eyes, food fights etc.  I mean to a young person in their 20s or 30s most of those are not the end of the world, but to a 60 or 50 year old teacher, slipping on the ice, breaking a hip or getting hit in the head with a ball unexpectedly or getting a black eye from a student throwing fist is something where 11 sick days might not even be enough.  Not to mention all the flu kids seems to constantly have.  Pension fund is paid by the teachers, you could have a generous pension if you PAY FOR IT.  Teachers do not get as big as holidays as you think, they have to prepare when the kids are off.