Syrian Refugees.... Justin Trudeau... Racist?

H10

The OP is actually fairly well noted for posting about racism issues from the left side of the political spectrum.

Lol

Left of you? ... is still far right.

Your ability to read minds at a distance and discern the intent of people you have never met is as fallible as ever.

???

No idea what you're babbling about here.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think OP's question is entirely fair. What makes Syrian refugees a higher priority than people in other war-torn regions?

Nothing. I think a better question would have been why the hell are so many other refugees clogging the piss poor systems that the world has in place for dealing with them all?

In the meantime it's not that Syrians posses any higher priority it's just that they're the issue du jour.

I think that Notca nailed part of it here:

Except for the way it completely misses why so many refugees have been allowed to pile up in the first place.

...but I think there is another issue at work. Western foreign policy places a higher priority on the Middle East than on Africa. The Middle East is usually front and center on the news for a variety of reasons-- our ongoing problems with terrorism and our dependence on Middle East oil being two of the most obvious. As well, our European allies are currently having problems with the sheer volume of Syrians (and non-Syrians...) trying to enter their countries, which has further raised the profile of the Syrian refugee situation.

As a result, the Syrian refugee situation is prominent in the public consciousness, whereas I suspect that most Canadians are only vaguely aware of any situations in Africa.

-k

I don't disagree with any of this but I suspect that most Canadians have been as conditioned as politicians and the media to just skate around how Western foreign policies have contributed so much to the fear and ignorance around the general wider Islamic disaster that Syria is just a part of. Hernanday does so in typical fashion by weaving a pile of random points and thoughts together into single stupid point that was more succinctly made in the thread's title.

All it says is, "I know I'm a racist so are you...here's why" Garbage in-garbage out.

Since we refuse to do much if anything to reduce the production of so many refugees in the first place I say we deserve to bring in 250,000 a year myself.

Edited by eyeball

He certainly didn't need to Syrian issue to whup Harper's ass.

Yes, yes, we get it OGFT. As Trudeau Junior put it, he "left his detractors in the dust". Not very surprising to me that the Liberals won the election as it's not unusual for Canadians to switch to a different party once a government has been in power for 10 years. And I echo what other posters have said, I would rather have the Liberals in power than the NDP. I want the Liberals to run a successful government in spite of a leader who can't see outside his rose colored glasses.

No, you're the one committing the macro-assumption that only black people can be witch-doctors.

You clearly need an update on how to be progressive SJW:

1. Only black people are allowed to be witch-doctors because otherwise it would be cultural appropriation.

2. Stereotypes. You are not allowed to say anything that resembles a stereotype.

3. If someone can interpret your comment to be offensive, then it needs to be banned/silenced, even if no one is offended and there was no intention of offense.

I do not agree with Hernanday on his posts as I find him to be prejudiced and bias.

On this topic though I would argue necessarily when you choose one group over others and show them preferential treatment on entry to Canada through the refugee system you discriminate.

Furthermore I personally believe the trigger for Trudeau to use the refugee issue to pander for votes was an image of a WHITE looking baby. I say that because for months if not years black babies have shown up on the shores of many nations and not a peep from the press then a white looking baby shows up and pow zap and zip the Liberal guilty folks went to town on the picture calling Harper uncaring which I found blatantly dishonest and a false pandering argument of the worst kind that Canadians bought into.

Millions of blacks and Asians are refugees and/or starving to death, not a peep. Our own aboriginals and poor are suffering and suddenly a whitish baby shows up on the beach and and pow the liberal knee jerk reaction went off ignoring our own native peoples, our own poor and its hard not to subjectively conclude that given the blatant inconsistency in how the press deals with world wide catastrophes the fact the child was white not black seems to have struck a stronger note of guilt. Am I wrong could be but its my subjective gut feeling that had the baby been black, it wouldn't have run as a story like it did.

In fact I found it hilarious Justin Trudeau claimed his cabinet reflected the face of Canada Not one black, lol. Then again I saw no Jews, Ukrainians and Polish either. Now unlike Hernanday I see no conspiracy though.

I do not think Trudeau is deliberately a racist, a bigot or discriminatory. That is just it. Some of the most discriminatory of people do so in the name of liberalism, bleeding hearts and caring. They haven't a clue how patronizing and bigoted they are..

Now in this case there is no doubt choosing Syrians and giving them preference is discriminatory but I do not believe Trudeau realized this. I think he's a good man. Naïve, misguided, bu a good man who means well.. You w on't hear the bleeding hearts on here explain why the Syrians constitute more of an urgent situation than other peoples.

Me I agreed with Harpers more even handed approach.

That said I am not interested in beating up on any refugee or hating any refugee. My criticism is directed at politicians not refugees.

Its part of the two faced inconsistency of liberal guilt I don't buy. How people choose their trendy cause of the day is something I leave for the tear jerker son this forum who are as bias as anyone they lecture too about being bias.

The difference between me and them ad Hernanday is I admit I discriminate-every one does, every friggin one of us has preferences when we make decisions that are selective and discriminatory. Some of us don't hide behind politically couched correct rationalizations for our biases.

Excuse me now while I go feel sorry for a sparrow in the cold..

Edited by Rue

You clearly need an update on how to be progressive SJW:

1. Only black people are allowed to be witch-doctors because otherwise it would be cultural appropriation.

2. Stereotypes. You are not allowed to say anything that resembles a stereotype.

3. If someone can interpret your comment to be offensive, then it needs to be banned/silenced, even if no one is offended and there was no intention of offense.

So how would a conservative SJW frame things?

Yes, yes, we get it OGFT. As Trudeau Junior put it, he "left his detractors in the dust". Not very surprising to me that the Liberals won the election as it's not unusual for Canadians to switch to a different party once a government has been in power for 10 years. And I echo what other posters have said, I would rather have the Liberals in power than the NDP. I want the Liberals to run a successful government in spite of a leader who can't see outside his rose colored glasses.

Not sure about that one... Trudeau seems to be out lefting the NDP

Trudeau has so far done pretty much exactly what he promised. At the moment, Canadians are okay with that, even if they aren't supportive of each individual point.

You mean exactly like the promise to spend 250M on refugees....oh wait....lets change that to 1.6B. Or the promise to bring them all in by year's end....oh wait.....lets change that to.....yada, yada....

And who are you to say that "Canadians are OK with that". Surely Smallc you haven't become one of those left wingers informing the rest of us how we feel.

Nanos has been doing quite regular opinion polls on the view of the government and what it's doing.

Also, not being able to follow your plan to the letter (who ever gets to do that?) is not the same as making an effort to do the things that you promised and largely succeeding.