Northern Gateway Pipeline Canned by Trudeau

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/crude-oil-tanker-traffic-moratorium-bc-north-coast-1.3318086

With the new moratorium on coastal tankers imposed by Trudeau, the pipeline is done like dinner now. Supposedly it the is 'north BC' coast, but of course BC has no coast a few kms north of Prince Rupert, which is about where Alaska starts.

It is an end run around his own federal agency, the NEB, which approved the pipeline some time ago.

How long until he finds a way to cancel or indefintiely delay the Kinder Morgan pipeline expansion? Or will he seek a cancellation entirely of the existing KInder Morgan line, which has operated with tankers out of Burnaby for some 60+ years?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/crude-oil-tanker-traffic-moratorium-bc-north-coast-1.3318086

With the new moratorium on coastal tankers imposed by Trudeau, the pipeline is done like dinner now.

Excellent news!

How long until he finds a way to cancel or indefintiely delay the Kinder Morgan pipeline expansion? Or will he seek a cancellation entirely of the existing KInder Morgan line, which has operated with tankers out of Burnaby for some 60+ years?

I would have thought the poor outlook for oil alone would be enough to make Kinder Morgan shelve it.

Excellent news!

I would have thought the poor outlook for oil alone would be enough to make Kinder Morgan shelve it.

No, industry knows that business is cyclical and projects that require billions like ports, pipelines and oilsands development will have peaks and valleys. In the meantime, the appetite of Canadians for a fat social contract grows unabated, with the future having less and less means to pay for it. Oh well, somebody will pay for it all.

In the meantime, the hypocrties in BC are content to ship plenty of filthy coal, and to dump rivers of untreated shit into the ocean.

No, industry knows that business is cyclical and projects that require billions like ports, pipelines and oilsands development will have peaks and valleys. In the meantime, the appetite of Canadians for a fat social contract grows unabated, with the future having less and less means to pay for it. Oh well, somebody will pay for it all.

In the meantime, the hypocrties in BC are content to ship plenty of filthy coal, and to dump rivers of untreated shit into the ocean.

Many are not content at all, and will be damned if they're going to sit around and watch someone only add more crap to the flow.

The Liberals support Trans Mountain and KXL. They promised to kill Northern Gateway.

The Liberals support Trans Mountain and KXL. They promised to kill Northern Gateway.

How can you have both a moratorium of west coast tankers, and export oil via tanker on an expanded Kinder Morgan line?

The current Kinder Morgan line (which was called Trans Mountain for about 50 years) ships some of its output to Wasington State via (gasp!) pipleine, and some goes offshore on tankers. The new expanded line would ship all the new oil offshore.

I just don't see Trudau and Co. having the political stones to make the KM line happen. More likely they will dither for a decade or two in an endless round of so of transparency or consultation, by which time the company will have just moved their money elsewhere in the world.,

Many are not content at all, and will be damned if they're going to sit around and watch someone only add more crap to the flow.

Of course they are content, I don't see David Suzuki pirouettiing in front of mass demonstrations/cameras in front of coal exporting ships or the rivers of shit dumped by Victoria into the ocean.]

Hypocrites all.

Which is what banning pipeline will do, since rail is much more prone to spills than pipe.

It is not about real, calculated, objective concern for the environment. If it was, pipelines are the obvious better choice. It is about the symbolic value of the 'pipeline' as a the great emblem of evil.

Edited by hitops

Which is what banning pipeline will do, since rail is much more prone to spills than pipe.

It is not about real, calculated, objective concern for the environment. If it was, pipelines are the obvious better choice. It is about the symbolic value of the 'pipeline' as a the great emblem of evil.

One thing at a time. As for real, calculated, objective concern for the environment we're applying a carbon tax on every lump of coal we sell while the peanut gallery pontificates about hypocrisy.

I guess that's two things now. What have you got to show for yourself?

Edited by eyeball

As I have always said, Harper is going to have the last laugh and he laughing now. You guys wanted change now we have it. He is going to screw the economy and play the worlds coward. And the world just found out what a lite weight this kid is.

Oh right, that is an entirely different ocean.

"North coast" is the same ocean, but Trudeau didn't mention the entire coast or the Pacific Ocean. I highlighted the location below. Maybe check a map.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has called for a moratorium on crude oil tanker traffic for B.C.'s North Coast.

We don't need this in BC.

li-file-photo-exxon-valdez-620-cp-002628

Edited by The_Squid

One thing at a time. As for real, calculated, objective concern for the environment we're applying a carbon tax on every lump of coal we sell while the peanut gallery pontificates about hypocrisy.

I guess that's two things now. What have you got to show for yourself?

Your point is not clear here.

There are other sources, hitops.

The fossil fuel era is over.

It is not a good investment anymore.

Smart money invests in renewables.

There are no other sources that are widely available and not reliant on fossil fuels to make them exist.

I'm not sure what you consider 'over', but fossil fuels still power the lion's share of world activities.

Regarding smart money, many billionaires have been minted off the shale boom. Must be stupid I guess. Precious few from green energy. A number or very wealthy people have invested in green tech (like Christie Walton), and consequently lost a ton of money, however.

Edited by hitops

As long as you also don't need electricity or transportation, then that's reasonable.

What about not having a pipeline running through sensitive ecosystems prevents us from having electricity or transportation? You do know that the pipeline isn't a power line or a road, right?

What a strange argument.

Maybe check a map.

Having driven perhaps 20 times along the Stewart- Cassiar road to the Yukon, I know that country far better than you.

Perhaps you should check a map, where you will surely notice that there is no 'northern BC coast' . It does not exist. The Canadian coast ends just north of Prince Rupert, about halfway up the province of BC. So what exactly have Trudeaus ministers been told to make happen in regard to a tanker moratorium? What si the extent of the moratorium?

The hypocrites of BC are content to export their filthy coal offshore, and dump billions of litres of raw sewage into an ocean they pretend to cherish. No surprise there.

What about not having a pipeline running through sensitive ecosystems prevents us from having electricity or transportation? You do know that the pipeline isn't a power line or a road, right?

What a strange argument.

All ecosystems are sensitive, but it seems BC residents are generally more arrogant than in other parts of the country. O i know, you don't need an oil spill in BC! As if any other place needs one...but hey, you will keep using that oil, and in your arrogance imagine that you shouldn't bear any of the burdens associated with it's production or transport. Leave that up to the other coast, because surely a place like this

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sZI0KLdKhUA/maxresdefault.jpg

http://vacay1.vacayca.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/orig_p060002_18rr-e1341275207543.jpg

http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/~/media/Images/TNB/Website/Products/F/FundyTrail/Fundy%20Trail%20coastline0001robroytssjpeg.jpeg

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sites/default/files/imagecache/ch_article_main_image/B97202015Z.120130709150448000GRA3AI1E.11.jpg

Should bear that burden, but not BC, not because it's ecosystems are so special, but apparently because it's residents are very 'special' indeed.

Strange arguments? Yea.

There are no other sources that are widely available and not reliant on fossil fuels to make them exist.

I'm not sure what you consider 'over', but fossil fuels still power the lion's share of world activities.

Regarding smart money, many billionaires have been minted off the shale boom. Must be stupid I guess. Precious few from green energy. A number or very wealthy people have invested in green tech (like Christie Walton), and consequently lost a ton of money, however.

The fossil fuel era is over.

The wave of the future is moving on without you.

Bye! ?

Eta

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/business/2015/11/16/ontario-pension-funds-lost-24b-from-oil-coal-investments-report.html

Edited by jacee