New science minister not very scientific.

poochy

So this is great, the scientific evidence and fact based decision making liberals named as science minister some who believes in unproven, and perhaps disproved medical treatments, this appointment is receiving some criticism from the medical community.

"“This is the most curious appointment since Caligula named his horse as consul,” said McGill University’s Dr. Michael Rasminsky"

On a different topic she received this sort of criticism,

"She was “a megalomaniac, a control freak,” John Oxford, a renowned British flu expert"

The article is quite telling, and it doesn't bode well for the country if the minister of science might be incompetent when it comes to making important policy like that on climate change, how bad are the rest of them? Of course she blames at least some of this on any number of ism's, which im sure we can look forward to more of in the future if we feel the need to criticize any of these 'very qualified' picked as part of a quota ministers.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/trudeaus-new-science-minister-kirsty-duncan-was-advocate-of-controversial-and-largely-disproven-ms-treatment

Edited by poochy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Larry Moran (professor of biochemistry at U of T, and author of a popular biochemistry textbook) noted 3 years ago: "Kirsty Duncan does not understand how science works". I don't expect a minister of science to be perfect. But I think that it shouldn't be too much to ask for the minister of science to understand how science works. When combined with the noble prize lie, this looks like an extremely terrible choice.

I read the article....

Could be sour grapes from some folks... it seems pretty petty when someone is accusing her of "obsessive behaviour" because she does a lot of situps every day.

Poochy picked out the negative comments, but there are also positive comments as well. We will see how she does. I will wait for some actual decisions before judging.

I'd also be interested in knowing what this new ministry is supposed to be doing.

The bit about lobbying in parliament on behalf of a scientifically unproven medical treatment certainly doesn't sound very promising.

-k

If it's involved in funding basic research, then no, not a waste. You may dislike scientists, even as you type your dislike of them on a device that wouldn't exist but for hundreds of millions of dollars of basic research over the last century (albeit, much of that the money of US taxpayers).

But it's not. Have you looked into it?

I read the article....

Could be sour grapes from some folks... it seems pretty petty when someone is accusing her of "obsessive behaviour" because she does a lot of situps every day.

Poochy picked out the negative comments, but there are also positive comments as well. We will see how she does. I will wait for some actual decisions before judging.

Well sure, but the negative comments come from actual Dr's and scientists, while the positive comments or excuses for her, come from her, or the people who also share her unscientific beleifs.

Let's just give her a chance and see how she performs......IF she has a bozo eruption, then it's fair to link it to past actions.....but let's give everyone a clean slate to start with.

But if the minister had unscientific beliefs about evolution the left wing chattering classes would screaming like the world was ending. It is good example of how many in the media give Liberals a pass for things that it would not hesitate to use to attack Conservatives.

Why is a geographer talking about MS treatments in the first place...Anyway, that article can be read in a lot of ways. Not all of them are especially negative. She also isn't wrong to suggest that young female scientists are often treated with derision..such as "[she] does not understand how science works" or "She was “a megalomaniac, a control freak,”.

*shrug* I assume that politicians don't know anything to begin with, you just have to hope the people under then know what they are doing.

I'd also be interested in knowing what this new ministry is supposed to be doing.

The bit about lobbying in parliament on behalf of a scientifically unproven medical treatment certainly doesn't sound very promising.

-k

She is bringing one more warm female body to the cabinet table so that JT can say its 2015.

Why is a geographer talking about MS treatments in the first place...

And why would she be leading a team of virologists and epidemiologists on an expedition to Norway to unearth old frozen tissue?

I know she is a geographer, but Norway is not that hard to find on modern maps.

And why would she be leading a team of virologists and epidemiologists on an expedition to Norway to unearth old frozen tissue?

I know she is a geographer, but Norway is not that hard to find on modern maps.

Clearly you have a very narrow view of what a geographer does, especially one that has a doctorate in the field. Does she have a minor in a related field?

I have no idea what her actual role was, but it's conceivable that a geographer could be mapping the sites, providing expertise on the glaciers/topography, expertise on hydrology of the area, or something more along the lines of the human geography of the area, if that was important in finding the viral sites.

But to automatically assume she is somehow not qualified to lead a team of experts because she is a "geographer" is rather ignorant of the profession.

Because we're too honest for you hugs and lolipops people?

No, Tories have just become hateful jerks who try to shield their general loathing of humanity behind "we're just being honest." But at every turn, Tories have become the party that lumps people into "taxpayer" and "non-taxpayer", or a hundred other ways that amount to dehumanizing the poor and impoverished, throwing those people bizarre crumbs like tax credits for hockey skates, even as their supporters demonstrate contempt for just about everyone.

Let's just give her a chance and see how she performs......IF she has a bozo eruption, then it's fair to link it to past actions.....but let's give everyone a clean slate to start with.

Hi Keepitsimple, I notice this sentiment coming up a lot since the election, mostly from those on the left tho'. Too bad Harper and the conservatives weren't afforded the same luxury. I recall the smearing started right from day one. Does anyone remember the words "Hidden Agenda" and all the other partisan crap being hurled.

Smoke