Harper went after snowbirds

Topaz

Apparently, the Harper government made a pact with the US to exchange info. on Canadians and Americans who cross the border but the point to this if snowbirds stay over the 183 days, they won't get their OAS and other programs. I think most regular Canadians do come back within that period , so any Canadian staying over that must be in good financial shape to start with.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-border-security-benefits-seniors-1.3290299

Seriously ?! If you leave Canada for an extended period of time, you can't vote in provincial elections, can't vote in federal elections, can't get "free" health care, and can't get other benefits of "citizenship". Canadian snowbirds better up their game to get back across the border in plenty of time before they turn into benefits pumpkins.

Seriously ?! If you leave Canada for an extended period of time, you can't vote in provincial elections, can't vote in federal elections, can't get "free" health care, and can't get other benefits of "citizenship". Canadian snowbirds better up their game to get back across the border in plenty of time before they turn into benefits pumpkins.

Yeah, then they'd become kinda like merikans. I know that free healthcare thing tends to confuse you, ad you have to be out of the country 5 years to lose your vote. But I won't bother confusing you with actual details, other than to say hey, we have a new government so things will "sunny ways" going forward.

Soon you guys are gonna be summering up here.... ;)

Soon you guys are gonna be summering up here.... ;)

I doubt it, but even if we did, we never lose our U.S. citizenship rights (e.g. voting). That is just whacked.

Don't lose SSA benefits either. Canadian citizenship seems to have a lot of small "fine print" exclusions.

Little wonder my Canadian neighbour just said screw it and stays in the U.S. year round as a permanent resident.

Apparently, the Harper government made a pact with the US to exchange info. on Canadians and Americans who cross the border but the point to this if snowbirds stay over the 183 days, they won't get their OAS and other programs. I think most regular Canadians do come back within that period , so any Canadian staying over that must be in good financial shape to start with.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-border-security-benefits-seniors-1.3290299

I think it's about time this happened. People make such a stink about dual-citizens misusing the system but this is no different. I'm surprised it took this long to implement something.

I'm not a snow-bird, but I'm guessing it's because there isn't much to offer other than the warmer winter weather.

Not sure what you mean about weather.....she lives two houses away from me and gets the same cold and snow...in Minnesota. What use is Canadian citizenship if it has so many hoops to jump through as an expat or snowbird ?

Not sure what you mean about weather.....she lives two houses away from me and gets the same cold and snow...in Minnesota. What use is Canadian citizenship if it has so many hoops to jump through as an expat or snowbird ?

We offer a lot of perks to our citizens that your country doesn't, so some people do take advantage of that in a way that you would not understand.

Having said that, I have no idea why anyone would choose Minnesota over Canada. Minnesota is no SoCal.

We offer a lot of perks to our citizens that your country doesn't, so some people do take advantage of that in a way that you would not understand.

And the U.S. has perks that Canada does not offer....so what ? Why would a Canadian citizen who has worked and paid taxes in Canada for 40 years or more lose such perks just because they no longer reside in country for more than six months or more than five years ?

Having said that, I have no idea why anyone would choose Minnesota over Canada. Minnesota is no SoCal.

Sure isn't, but SoCal has its downsides too. American "snowbirds" also go south, but they don't lose the right to vote or other benefits.

Years ago, I had a Canadian project manager and lead web service developer who had to disappear every six months just to play this game. They explained to the project team that it was a Canadian ritual and dance required every six months or they would turn into Americans.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Years ago, I had a Canadian project manager and lead web service developer who had to disappear every six months just to play this game. They explained to the project team that it was a Canadian ritual and dance required every six months or they would turn into Americans.

On the other hand, you also get to stop paying taxes to Canada if you can demonstrate you are no longer really living in Canada. On the other hand, American citizens have to pay taxes to the US wherever in the world they reside, which in many cases means double taxation.

On the other hand, you also get to stop paying taxes to Canada if you can demonstrate you are no longer really living in Canada. On the other hand, American citizens have to pay taxes to the US wherever in the world they reside, which in many cases means double taxation.

OK, but many Canadian snowbirds are retirees and are not working in the U.S. Do they have to pay taxes to the IRS for OAS and CPP ?

Do Canadian expats lose their OAS and CPP ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I'm confused. What's the news item here?

Canadian snowbirds that I used to know were always careful to plan the length of their stay in the US so as to not violate rules regarding residency. And that was years ago.

These aren't new rules. They're long-standing rules.

So what's the news item here? That rules that have existed for a long time might --gasp-- actually get enforced?

DARN that terrible Harper! DARN HIM TO HECK!!

-k

On the other hand, American citizens have to pay taxes to the US wherever in the world they reside, which in many cases means double taxation.

Yes, not only do you have to file with the IRS every year, good luck trying to give up your U.S. citizenship to avoid it. It's like the Hotel California that way.

Geese lose their benefits too after 4 months, that's why they always come back. And shit everywhere.

Wow, I had never considered that! We have a major geese problem here in our small town. We oil the eggs, scare them with big eye balloons in the water, transport them in mass to a neighboring bird sanctuary and still they come back with their honking and poop.

I will suggest to our municipal fathers that we clear them from the residency requirements and thereby encourage them to stay South for as long as they like (like forever!).

I am sure that I can get support for this solution and as soon as we can find a geese talker we will call a meeting and share with them their new freedoms.

Thanks for the heads up! :)

So this news item isn't really a new news item, either the media or the government made it out as one. As stated, most snowbirds go down south in Nov-April and come back to do their income taxes, so this rule is more for those who stay out longer than the 183 days.

The only "news" here is that improved coordination between Canada and US border agencies will allow the government to better know how many people are actually cheating and overstaying their time in the US.

-k

This doesn't just apply to the US, it is all your time out of Canada. I think if you have a residence in Canada and all your income is taxed in Canada, it shouldn't matter where you are. If you get sick outside Canada your private medical insurance will pick up the tab saving the Canadian system money.

Edited by Wilber

Harper is not 'going after snowbirds' it's always been a requirement that they fill out the required tax forms and it's always been that snowbirds could lose their health coverage if they are out of the country for more than 210 days (Ontario). Snowbirds currently in receipt of OAS and CPP will not lose their pensions even if they are over 183 days out of the country. If you don't fill out the 8840 it's possible that the U.S. could consider you a resident for tax purposes but you have to be out of Canada for more than 7 months, it's still best to fill the forms out anyway. We do.

You could lose EI benefits and health care, but that has always been the case. The difference is in the tracking and information sharing which wasn't done very efficiently before, now it will be so anyone trying to scam the system will be caught. I'm going to see what the Snowbird Association has to say about this, they usually clarify thing quickly. So far nothing.

http://www.snowbirds.org/tax-forms

OK, but many Canadian snowbirds are retirees and are not working in the U.S. Do they have to pay taxes to the IRS for OAS and CPP ?

Do Canadian expats lose their OAS and CPP ?

They could be required to pay U.S. taxes if they are over a certain number of days (there's a formula) which is why snowbirds should be filling out the IRS form 8840.

This explains it better than I can.

http://www.ey.com/CA/en/Services/Tax/TaxMatters-March2014-Info-sharing-at-border

They have meets in Texas and Arizona too.

Edited by scribblet