The Next Canadian Liberal Cabinet

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What people have to remember is that Trudeau has promised a smaller cabinet - supposedly with 25 ministers - with gender parity. If you look at geography there's going to be a lot of people - particularly men - not going in. It seems there will be 12 men and 12 women with Harper TRUDEAU being the 25th member of cabinet, if that's the size he goes with.

PEI, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and the Territories did not elect any women Liberal MPs. Nova Scotia elected one woman and New Brunswick elected a few. However, Scott Brison and Dominic LeBlanc are basically guaranteed seats from those two provinces.

If you consider than Brison, LeBlanc, Wayne Easter, Goodale, an MP from Calgary, an MP from Edmonton and an MP from the Territories are going in then that means only 5 other men will be going into cabinet.

Edited by Newfoundlander

Between gender parity and provincial representation, merit may have a hard time being recognized.

And I hope Ms. Freeland, who would be a merit appointment, will remain as keen to sanction Russian oligarchs in Canada as she was before the election.

Yeah, it would pretty funny having a foreign minister who would be refused entry to Russia....

Would her personal interests in that part of the world interfere with her objectivity?

Ukraine is a complicated mess.... perhaps even as bad as Iraq was. We should be really, really careful about getting involved in their domestic political squabbles.

I am thinking that Trudeau should keep her as far away from that file as possible.... I am sure that the eventual Foreign Minister will be hearing enough from her in Cabinet meetings, anyway.

Between gender parity and provincial representation, merit may have a hard time being recognized.

And I hope Ms. Freeland, who would be a merit appointment, will remain as keen to sanction Russian oligarchs in Canada as she was before the election.

Freeland is a embarrassment, keep her hid. The general for foreign minister. Finance, they are talking about a no name, someone that had a lot of experience with it, can't remember his name. But it will not be McCullum or Goodale.

It would be interesting, but extremely unlikely if Elizabeth May ended up as Minister of the Environment, as the online petition asks. There's far too many Liberal MPs who are capable here and it would be a slight to them for Trudeau to go outside of the party. However, it would show his openness to building bridges and working together with everyone in parliament. Regardless, he should include her as part of the delegation to the environment summit in Paris anyway. He should also include people from the NDP and CPC too.

It would certainly be interesting, but yes it is a slight to someone like Dion. However, I expect that parliamentary committees will somewhat return to their pre-Harper state, as places where actual work and compromise occur. Ms. May will be a tremendous contributor to open and healthy forums like that.

I don't think people who've held certain portfolios will be put back in those positions because you want someone with a fresh perspective.

You also don't want to end up in a situation where say Marc Garneau said "this" in 2014 as Foreign Affairs critic but as Foreign Affairs Minister in 2015 he did the opposite. At least by having a new person in the portfolio you're able to distance the party somewhat from past comments said by a critic.

Edited by Newfoundlander

You also don't want to end up in a situation where say Marc Garneau said "this" in 2014 as Foreign Affairs critic but as Foreign Affairs Minister in 2015 he did the opposite. At least by having a new person in the portfolio you're able to distance the party somewhat from past comments said by a critic.

Lot's of MPs and shadow critics say one thing while in Opposition, and act quite differently if they end up in that portfolio. Remember here, the Opposition's job is not simply to criticize what the Opposition doesn't agree with, but to hold the Government to account on its actions. Beyond that, I think everyone, our allies included, understand that moving from a cabinet critic to an actual cabinet minister means an entire shift in context.

Wouldn't it be great to have a Minister of Science and give the portfolio to Garneau?

A Ministry of Science, charged with ensuring that we have evidence-based policy, would be a great statement that Canada's war on science is over.

Will that evidence include race/religion based stats for crime so that we can finally make some realistic decisions in justice?

PM Justin has stated that he intends to declare his cabinet by Nov 4.

Anyone ready to make suggestions or share what you see in your crystal ball?

This will be edited as I look into it more.

Leslie (Defense/Solicitor General???/

McCallum

Garneau

Goodale

Joyce Murray (Environment???)

Karen McCrimmon (Not sure but maybe a parliamentary secretary, Defense?????? maybe)

Chrystia Freeland (maybe internal economy/something finance or something??)

Denis Paradis (Foreign affairs????)

cliche perhaps Robert-Falcon Ouellette (aboringinal affairs?????)

Harjit Sajjan, (something defense related/ veterans affairs etc...??)

Jody Raybould-Wilson (aborinal affairs - attorney general??????????)

Catherine McKenna (trade?????????????????????)

Other possibilities?

Stephane Dion

Dominic Leblanc

Geoff Regan (fisheries and oceans?)

Hedy Fry (Health) Carolyn Bennett (minister of state public health?)

Here are some early possibilities...?????????

I think immigration will likely be an ethnic minority not sure who though...

will need to look at what other cabinet posts there could be.

maybe bill blair for something like solicitor general public safety but maybe that is too cliched Bill Blair

I think that there will be more women and ethnic minorities in there but there are only 30 or so I think so that is like about 40% of all ethnic minorities if the size of cabinet is around 30.

Judy Foot "whip"

Not sure about speaker... it would be hilarious I think if it was stephane dione :)

Wayne Easter seems to be inclined for public safety as he is was the critic in that portfolio.

Sgro "??? Industry with atleast one parliamentary secreatary or minister for state???)

Dubourg (national revenue whatever that is)

????? Brison Public Works????????

Bernadette Jordan (??? seniors.????)

Brenda Shanahan (cliche again) ??? Womens affairs) (not sure why this is a ministry)

Anita Vanderbeld (Democratic reform?????)

I don't think it will happen but it would make a whole lot of sense for Elizabeth May to be named a parliamentary secretary for environment or minister of state for environment (not minister of environment but still a politico for the profolio) to put ideas by here prior to introducing them in parlimament and get feedback on what the issues are outside of debate formally) or creating a commissioner of the environment or something.

Edited by nerve

Yup. Gary Goodyear was said to be a creationist. And the last guy, whose name escapes me, was an insurance executive.

Maybe this time we could get someone who understands science. Crazy idea, I know.

and science for 'science (research) sake'... not just 'Harper Conservative science' that only factors if it can be applied to presumed economic gain/job creation!

Putting Adam Vaughn for municipal affairs seems like a good idea to me. What do you think ?

I don't know if you'll see him go into cabinet. The current portfolio that would relate to municipal affairs would seem to be Minister of Infrastructure, Communities and Intergovernmental Affairs. With a 25 member cabinet and with Chrystia Freeland and Bill Morneau appearing to be shoo-ins I don't see how Vaughn would make the cut too, especially considering their ridings all border each other. Maybe a parliamentary secretary gig related to cities?