The Next Canadian Liberal Cabinet

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marc Garneau would make a good Foreign Minister, he's been around the world a few times.

Now would probably be a good time to have someone on the global stage that possess' that special perspective that astronauts apparently bring back after they've seen our planet from space. The Overview Effect they call it.

It refers to the experience of seeing firsthand the reality of the Earth in space, which is immediately understood to be a tiny, fragile ball of life, "hanging in the void", shielded and nourished by a paper-thin atmosphere. From space, astronauts claim,[5] national boundaries vanish, the conflicts that divide people become less important, and the need to create a planetary society with the united will to protect this "pale blue dot" becomes both obvious and imperative.

The world needs more Earthlings.

Edited by eyeball

you want to open up the constitution? It would be easier just to visit the dark side of the moon.

It would be nice and add it to the list of other things that are piling up at our constitution's door, but until then area-based co-management boards are a bridge we can use in between. First Nation's are using the treaty process to assert more local control over fisheries in their territories as well. There's already been a lot of thought given to the topic on the west coast.

Trudeau already has to whittle 134 and 50 women down to 12 each, considering at the same time regional (he'll need at least 1 from each province and 1 from the north) and linguistic (probably 1/4 francophone) realities. All of that from probably the largest talent pool to ever make it into parliament on a single bench. He doesn't need anymore candidates.

Trudeau already has to whittle 134 and 50 women down to 12 each, considering at the same time regional (he'll need at least 1 from each province and 1 from the north) and linguistic (probably 1/4 francophone) realities. All of that from probably the largest talent pool to ever make it into parliament on a single bench. He doesn't need anymore candidates.

Why do you say the largest talent pool ever? Most of these people are rookies, aren't they? I'm not saying they're not good, I'm just surprised at the comment.

And yet, Dion is probably the most respected Liberal on the Environment. Within the framework of the current Liberal party I think he'd be an excellent choice.

May as environment minister wouldn't work.

Stephane Dion ran on the environment in 2008 and his views then contradict what Trudeau's views are now. It wouldn't make much sense to put him in the environment portfolio, would just lead to issues regarding his green shift plan.

For this reason. It'd still be fun to see.

Trudeau has said that he'll work with the provinces and that a one size fits all solution doesn't work. He's also noted some provinces are doing their fair share. Dion on the other hand wanted to impose a national carbon tax that didn't take into consideration the provinces.

As well if Dion was so respected on the environment why hasn't he been the party's critic for the area? I think Intergovernmental Affairs would be more likely. Jody Wilson-Raybould's name has been touted as a possibility and she would seem like a good choice. There's also people like Kirsty Duncan and Joyce Murray.

I saw a journalist comment recently that opposition critics often don't become ministers for their critic areas. I'm assuming this is because they'd probably have to backtrack on past comments they made as critic. While Dion wasn't a critic for Environment he'd have to backtrack on his views from when he was leader.

Edited by Newfoundlander

Between gender parity and provincial representation, merit may have a hard time being recognized.

And I hope Ms. Freeland, who would be a merit appointment, will remain as keen to sanction Russian oligarchs in Canada as she was before the election.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

As well if Dion was so respected on the environment why hasn't he been the party's critic for the area? I think Intergovernmental Affairs would be more likely. Jody Wilson-Raybould's name has been touted as a possibility and she would seem like a good choice. There's also people like Kirsty Duncan and Joyce Murray.

Definitely intergovernmental affairs. It was a portfolio Dion shone in during the Chretien years. Dion was responsible for a lot of the post-referendum devolution like the Labour Market Development Agreements (which the Tories have done some unnecessary fiddling with), not to mention the Clarity Act.

I think shoe-ins for positions are Dion, Garneau, and Goodale, obviously.

But who I think we should keep our eyes on is Harjit Sajjan from Vancouver. He's the first Sikh commanding officer in the armed forces and was a police officer as well. He's an experienced and capable gentleman, who would also show diversity in cabinet.

Robert-Falcon Ouellette is another one to watch, as he knocked off Pat Martin in a surprise win.

MaryAnn Mihychuk held a number of cabinet positions for the NDP in Manitoba, so she's a likely candidate too.

Catherine McKenna is an international trade lawyer, so would be quite capable on a related portfolio.

I think the two MPs who took Calgary seats, Kent Hehr and Darshan Kang, are virtually guaranteed portfolios as well.

It would be interesting, but extremely unlikely if Elizabeth May ended up as Minister of the Environment, as the online petition asks. There's far too many Liberal MPs who are capable here and it would be a slight to them for Trudeau to go outside of the party. However, it would show his openness to building bridges and working together with everyone in parliament. Regardless, he should include her as part of the delegation to the environment summit in Paris anyway. He should also include people from the NDP and CPC too.