LPC Campaign Co-Chair Advises TransCanada

One of Trudeau's campaign co-chairs has stepped down after advising TransCanada how to lobby the next government, including advice on lobbying a potential Liberal minority. He's not a registered lobbyist and the emails at this point seem to be all legal, but this is the kind of news that could derail the Liberals just before election day.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2277153/trudeau-adviser-steps-down-after-giving-pipeline-company-lobbying-advice/?hootPostID=a623af75b6a4d1a0be52d0a5ad633747

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could strangely have the effect of Conservative voters defecting for the Liberals and social democrat voters leaving the Liberals for the NDP. This kind of news could actually put Harper in third place if the NDP gets a bump and more red tories head to the Liberal camp.

Very unlikely, but it would certainly be an amusing outcome.

Im actually happy this got leaked as it shows this version of the lpc to be somewhat business friendly. Any pipeline is a good one as it allows us to get resources to market more efficiently.

I was thinking the same thing, and if I were feeling conspiratorial, I'd almost wonder if the whole thing was a bit of a ruse to convince energy companies that the Liberals aren't closing the taps. It's funny, because there was this Financial Post article today talking about how bad it would be for the energy sector if anyone but the Tories won. Between this in the questionable war of words between Trudeau and Suzuki, I have to wonder if we're being played a bit.

I was thinking the same thing, and if I were feeling conspiratorial, I'd almost wonder if the whole thing was a bit of a ruse to convince energy companies that the Liberals aren't closing the taps. It's funny, because there was this Financial Post article today talking about how bad it would be for the energy sector if anyone but the Tories won. Between this in the questionable war of

words between Trudeau and Suzuki, I have to wonder if we're being played a bit.

The libs wont close off the taps. Its in their interests to have these companies doing well which means an increase of tax revenue. It wont be as good for the energy sector as under the tories. Hopefully the energy sector can get some clarity when the libs are sworn in on how things are going to go.

The libs wont close off the taps. Its in their interests to have these companies doing well which means an increase of tax revenue. It wont be as good for the energy sector as under the tories. Hopefully the energy sector can get some clarity when the libs are sworn in on how things are going to go.

The energy sector is already preparing for the carbon tax, which I've said for some time is inevitable. While the NDP might have imposed a national tax, Trudeau is going to give the provinces a lot more leeway. The Tories should be happy that it isn't them who will have to put this policy in place to placate the Americans (seeing as it seems pretty likely that Clinton will win next year, and we'll still have to prove our Greeny worthiness).

Im actually happy this got leaked as it shows this version of the lpc to be somewhat business friendly. Any pipeline is a good one as it allows us to get resources to market more efficiently.

a uhhh... purposeful tactical leak. Open for pipeline business baby! Oh wait..... carry on!

Business lobbyists look like they will be pulling Liberal strings.... Before the election is even over! That's pathetic.

No matter what the Tories may assert, Bay Street has always loved the Liberals best.

But I do think this was a tactical leak, part of a plan of calming the markets and key industries as the likelihood of a Liberal government grows.

No matter what the Tories may assert, Bay Street has always loved the Liberals best.But I do think this was a tactical leak, part of a plan of calming the markets and key industries as the likelihood of a Liberal government grows.

That's silly. The markets were not going to react to a Liberal win.

This is the same old back room dealing Liberal Party.... Chrétien, Martin.... Ad-scam... Protect your own investments to the detriment of the country.... Same old, same old. I was actually hoping for something different.

That's silly. The markets were not going to react to a Liberal win.

This is the same old back room dealing Liberal Party.... Chrétien, Martin.... Ad-scam... Protect your own investments to the detriment of the country.... Same old, same old. I was actually hoping for something different.

Because the NDP weren't having behinds-the-scenes talks with captains of industry when they thought they had a chance.

Because the NDP weren't having behinds-the-scenes talks with captains of industry when they thought they had a chance.

Cite please. Where did NDP insiders working on the campaign lobby for business?

You are as bad as the CPC partisan hacks that use the tired old mantra "well they did it too".

Business lobbyists look like they will be pulling Liberal strings.... Before the election is even over! That's pathetic.

in actuality... given established relationships, the guy was approached by Trans Canada... for information on how best they lobby in regards the 'Energy East pipeline'. The guy is was in a volunteer campaign position... and he's not a registered lobbyist.

a quick search suggests the following as relatively recent/representative comments from the Liberal Party leader:

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau said he will not fully back TransCanada’s Energy East pipeline until the project gets more public support.

“We need to get our resources to market and more oil by rail is a bad idea. We need to do it in a responsible way and that means pipelines. But those pipelines have to achieve the public trust and the social license that is necessary.” Trudeau said Monday in Fredericton.

Trudeau said the regulatory process must be done right and is calling for more public consultation to address people’s environmental concerns regarding the safety of the pipeline. He also wants to see further consultation with First Nations.