Where have you travelled (going to travel) open thread

Some things about Greece:

It has beautlful sites, and is full of history. On the other hand, it's poor and dirty, something I wasn't expecting. I'm surprised it qualifies and the developed world.

Some things on Greeks:

Greeks are rude and unreliable. It's a cultural thing, I think. They love to make you wait. They have 1 waiter where there should be 10.

I liked my trip, but, it left me with mixed feelings on a country that I've always had so much interest in.

Haha, glad you had a good time but you are going to have to travel to Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia to understand why Greece is still considered developed world.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haha, glad you had a good time but you are going to have to travel to Laos/Vietnam/Cambodia to understand why Greece is still considered developed world.

Oh, I know it's still the developed world - I'm just surprised that it qualifies (it must be barely). Though its richer, it reminds me a lot of Mexico, a country that's industrialized but not developed.

Edited by Smallc

My friends loved the beaches and the cheap booze. Did you take a ferry anywhere? Apparently the ferries are very sketchy! Safety is definitely a secondary consideration!

No - it was faster and cheaper to fly on Aegean. Greece is rated as a category 1 country by the FAA, so their airlines follow the same regulations as ours. I'm glad I went that way, by the sound of it.

I'm on the flight back to Winnipeg right now from Toronto. I have to amend my review of Rouge slightly. Because the seats are closer together, the recline is less. If you don't have a window seat so you can lean on the wall with the little pillow they give you, your head tends to fall forward.

Oh, I know it's still the developed world - I'm just surprised that it qualifies (it must be barely). Though its richer, it reminds me a lot of Mexico, a country that's industrialized but not developed.

Where do you think the "developed world" came from...Winnipeg ? Greece figures prominently in the development of western civilization.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Where do you think the "developed world" came from...Winnipeg ? Greece figures prominently in the development of western civilization.

And the British Empire once ruled the world. History doesn't necessarily repeat itself forever.

And the British Empire once ruled the world. History doesn't necessarily repeat itself forever.

OK...I still find it remarkable that someone living in Manitoba can question Greece's status as part of the "developed world". Welcome back from "dirty" Greece to the modern and well developed Waterhen, Manitoba...and "Indian Reserve no. 45".

I don't see many test cities in Skownan. Anyway, Skownan is not comparable to the cradle of western civilization. I was lamenting its downfall more than criticizing it.

Well, just to give you some perspective, many parts of Europe has/had very similar conditions to what you witnessed/experienced in Greece. It was certainly that way back in the 70's and 80's. Romantic gondola rides in Venice, Italy sometimes includes raw sewage floating by. It's just part of the deal.

A lot of Athenians too. It's a general opinion

I agree.

It is a mixed bag - the worst public washroom I've seen so far was on Santorini: a squat like system consisting of three holes in the floor without any walls in-between.

I could smell it from quite a bit away - even before I used it!

Though this is hardly a measure of a place - second worst experience is a washroom on the north west side of Oahu.

But all I have to compare these to are the public washrooms in Ecuador, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam which are also a mixed bag tending to be on the bad side - though not being so bad as to be memorable.

The best washroom was at one of the equator museums outside of Quito - very clean, completely modern with awesome pictures on the wall showing maps of the world with information about the average height of people around the world as to guide you to the properly raised urinal.

Then there is the ferry system in Greece which is also a mixed bag: the old ferry from Crete to Santorini was in pretty good shape but getting on and off is not up to the standards you see at BC Ferries where they would never let passengers on/off the boat prior to it being tied to the dock. That's normal in Greece.

The ferry from Santorini to Athens was very modern but it also had the same standards of jumping off the boat prior to it being tied.

Not that these are necessary signs of being developed....

So NOLA is an incredible, exciting, dirty, eclectic place, and I loved it. We were able to see Bourbon St on a Saturday night, which was an outstanding and insane street party. In just a few hours on just one street I drank enough hurricanes, sazeracs, hand grenades, absinthes and of course bourbons (even though the street isn't named after the drink) to kill a small village, listened to some amazing live jazz, met Gandolf and two very friendly transvestites, went topless for beads (not many takers), debated and posed for pictures with troop of manic street preachers, watched a twenty something and eighty something duo of dancers perform topless in the street. That's damn near impossible to get done in such a short amount of time in most places.

Bourbon St. is crazy, fun, ugly, stinky and at times down right gross, but it's worth seeing and nothing like the rest of the Quarter and the city. If you go, the very south end of Frenchmen Street is a must. I had one of the best meals of my life at a place called The Praline Connection, listened to some amazing Jazz in a place called the Spotted Cat, toured the most incredible outdoor art market and witnessed an impromptu street jazz performance that grew to at least fifteen musicians.

Other things I would consider a must do would be a swamp tour, cemetery tour, Preservation Hall for great old school jazz and at least one walking tour of the French Quarter. In addition we hit some local breweries, crossed the river and strolled through Algiers point, had my fortune told and palm read, learned about Voodoo, observed sickening overt racism and enjoyed amazing southern and Cajun food. We hit some of the other top rated tourist joints like Cafe Du Monde, which is lined up all day for beignets which are basically powdered donuts. I don't think it was worth it.

Places that are worth it:

Patty O'Briens - the amazing courtyard is great for lunch and amazing at night for drinks. The piano bar area is fun too.

Johnny's Po Boys - Huge Po Boy sandwiches that come in way too many varieties.

Jackson Square - For the scenery, shade, peace and people watching.

The Praline Connection - Amazing southern food on Frenchmen Street.

Fritzels - Great jazz bar on Bourbon Street.

GW Fins - Outstanding seafood.

NOLA Brewing Company - Amazing barbecue for lunch and incredible tap room with custom flights.

Cemetery Tours with Save Our Cemeteries - A non-profit group dedicated to restoring and preserving the old cemeteries of NOLA. I recommend hitting St. Louis Cemetery I. It's the oldest, houses Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans and Nick Cage. Well only his pyramid tomb and his career for now.

Cajun Encounters Swamp Tours - If you want a guided boat tour this is the company to go with, but there are kayak options as well.

Preservation Hall - The quintessential, old school jazz room. Get the big shot tickets to avoid the long, long lines. Also bring a drink, they only serve jazz.

• 4 weeks later...

So, my brother is going on a quick roadtrip, and I decided to tag along. We'll each have our respective SOs and be in different vehicles and hotels rooms, expect for one night.

The first day will be spent driving from here to Billings, Montana. It's a 12 hour drive that doesn't offer much in the way of a view most of the way.

As this is a whirlwind tour, the next day will involve taking in Yellowstone and the Tetons. Not the first time I've done this. The trip over the Beartooth highway is something that should be experienced at least once. We'll be staying in West Yellowstone.

The next day will involve an early trip up to Glacier National Park in Montana. I'm looking forward to seeing the Going to the Sun Road. Afterwards, he'll be heading home. We'll spend the night just across the border in Cardston, AB. We'll spend the next day taking in Frank Slide and Fort Steele if we have time. I've never been over the Crowsnest. We'll spend our final night in the Prince of Wales Hotel in Waterton National Park. I'm really looking forward to this as it's one of my bucket list places.

We'll head home the next day taking in Head Smashed In and maybe Fort Macleod or Ford Whoop Up on the way. I wish I could swing a trip to the Royal Tyrrell (one of my favourites), but, there isn't time this trip.

Edited by Smallc

• 4 weeks later...

Canada is such a vast country that I guess it is by no means uncommon that someone from Toronto has never been to Vancouver, or vice versa.

That's very true.... I haven't seen much of the prairies or the east coast. Never been to the Yukon. Barely scratched Ontario...

• 2 weeks later...

Canada is such a vast country that I guess it is by no means uncommon that someone from Toronto has never been to Vancouver, or vice versa.

The US is the same way. I've been to California once for a week, and this was after having gone to France, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands and Portugal on several trips hitherto.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a small trip to Anacortes, Whidbey Island, and Port Townsend in Washington State.

Took the Duke Point to Tswassen BC ferry at 7:45am and arrived in Anacortes around noon after getting a thorough check from the US customs agent. He even looked in my trunk. I look like a criminal!

Visited the brew pub downtown, tried 9 beer (wife and I each had a taster plus one pint). Walked it off downtown, checked in to the Nantucket Inn and went to visit the American cousins.

Next day headed to the outlet malls, spent about $38 on a couple of items and spent some time people watching and checking out some stores that I own: Guess was not very busy; Coach was very busy and had a nice selection - I'm going to do okay with that one, I think.

Took the Washington ferry over to Clinton on Whidbey Island. Cheap ride.

Spent 2 nights at a b&b near Langley. Got to eat breakfast with 2 different American couples - the first ones from Massachusetts and the second from Idaho.

Always interesting talking to the locals and near locals but I always forget how weird Americans are. Can't really explain the feeling but part of it has to do with their lack of interest in foreign adventure (unless it involves war). Canadians aren't much better, tbh.

But the US is a vast country so one can easily spend one's life seeing it, so to each their own.

Ventured around getting bird pics, walking the spit, watching the F18's fly around etc etc.

In Coupleville had some fun trying beer and then more fun trying to pay for it.

Had to call up Visa and let them know that we only appear to behave like criminals so they could release the hold on our Visa and our bank account.

The next day we took the ferry to Port Townsend which is a nice little town that smells like human piss.

But the sundae with marshmallow topping was divine! And the sushi was good too.

The oceanfront room with the rising near-full moon was a nice touch too.

The next morning we were off to Port Angeles to catch the ferry to Victoria.

Stopped at the Safeway for *$ and bagels. Almost bought the biggest cinnamon bun I've ever seen: $5 for 850 grams of blood curdling delight.

Saw whales on the ferry ride home. Wife tells me it probably was j pod as if I'm supposed to know what that means.

Anyway, fun trip, nice seeing the family, experiencing the beer and seeing the wife get a few new Pokemon creatures along the way.

Canada and the USA are vast countries, which may explain their inability/unwillingness for overseas travel.

On the other hand, Australia is a vast country and for them overseas travelling is like a rite of passage, something you are expected to do.

New Zealand is not a big country but it is remote as hell and therefore travelling must be expensive but it hasn't stopped them.

Overall, a question of priorities.