Where have you travelled (going to travel) open thread

These kinds of questions probably quash many adventurous retirement ideas people may have throughout their lives. My opinion is it's better to live the adventure now, while you are still young and able.

I consider traveling to a different country(ies) every year for a month or so to be pretty adventurous.

I'm still exploring the world to get a sense of what it is that I like and don't like.

So far I like south east Asia and Greece the best.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like to go on 3 week long trips every year. I just pick a city/region, and go. Wherever happens to be the least expensive at the time is fine with me.

I've been tempted to go away for about a week and not book anything until a day before.

Find a good deal that pops up randomly and just do it.

I've been tempted to go away for about a week and not book anything until a day before.

I'd give it at least a week ahead, but it's probably possible the next day too.

I've done it. It's amazing how low the prices can drop in the last day before departure.

Cambodia is definitely on my bucket list, but getting there is pretty pricey. Has anyone on here ever been to India? I know it's dirty and filthy and everything else, but I'm finding it really intriguing the more I read about it.

Three times, most recently in 2013 for about 2 months.

It is a top 3 global destination for me.

People love it or hate it, and there is no doubt which side I am on.

This is an abiding analogy of India, for me: You know how dogs like to hang out a car window with the wind blasting their sensitive nostrils, giving them a sensory overload? That is India for Western people: colour, heat, smells, sights, sounds in overabundance . Control that to your level of tolerance, and you will get it/be richly rewarded. Or be overwhelmed, and get on the next flight out.

My mode is to avoid the biggest cities for the most part. They are chaotic, loud, polluted. But the smaller cities, country life, extraordianry variety of culture, and the truly astonishing hertiage sites are all amazing. India has cultures that were old when Europe was still huddled in caves.

It is really cheap, the food is great, and it has everything from Himalayas to desert to jungle. It is far too large and diverse to see in one shot, so you have to limit and plan activities. The climate is a factor in trip planning, you do not want to be in Rajasthan in summer or the north in winter.

If you like one week vacations, it is too far away, too big and too different. Maybe give it a miss until you have both more experience in Asia, and more time. If I had to pick a place for a couple of weeks, I'd suggest the South- Kerala and Tamil Nadu. The hill stations in Kerala have a self conscious nickname with the locals. They sheepishly call it 'Eden'. It is not as absurd as it seems.

Edited by overthere

Thanks for the info. It makes me even more interested in going. It'll probably have to wait a couple of years, but it's not coming off my list. It's a long list.

I've never really been of the opinion that one week is too short. I guess I'm just different that way. I'd have to adjust the length slightly for travel time in the case of somewhere far, but with convenient flights, I think it could work as an introduction, but not in the way that you're talking about. There's no way to really experience culture in a week. That said, a 10 day trip would be just as possible I think.

Edited by Smallc

It's doable if you set a tight and specific itinerary. The usual way to get around India is by their immense train system, but you would not have time. Luckily there are more and more small airports opening, and domestic fares are pretty cheap. If you travel intercity, trains are possible but you are then bound by a schedule, and buses are... an adventure. I often hire a taxi for intercity travel, or to get somewhere small- not expensibve and A to B on your schedule. You could fly into Kochi or perhaps Mumbai and take it from there. There are a couple things near either/both worth the trip. Ellora and Ajanta are (for me) jaw dropping Unesco World Heritage sites. Same for Hampi, which is inland from Mumbai. The backwaters of Kerala are very good, as are the Keralan hill stations and Wyanad areas. In Tamil Nadu, the temple complexes in Madurai, Trichy and Thanjavur are worth a visit.

For my first trip, I think I might go to the north, if only to see the Taj Mahal. The Golden Triangle (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur) is apparently very doable inside of 8 days. I'm just starting to research all of this, so I may change my mind completely yet.

For my first trip, I think I might go to the north, if only to see the Taj Mahal. The Golden Triangle (Delhi, Agra, Jaipur) is apparently very doable inside of 8 days. I'm just starting to research all of this, so I may change my mind completely yet.

You're right: https://www.gadventures.com/trips/golden-triangle/2489/

Something for you to think about - check out the itinerary.

I'd probably do it on my own - though I'd probably hire a driver for parts of it for sure. Another place I'd really really like to go is Lhasa, but the Chinese government makes that extremely difficult.

I'd probably do it on my own - though I'd probably hire a driver for parts of it for sure. Another place I'd really really like to go is Lhasa, but the Chinese government makes that extremely difficult.

In keeping with my suggestion that you avoid the frenetic pace of the big cities, spend a day or two tops in Delhi, and limit Agra to a day trip. The touts are ferocious there.

A couple of wonderful spots in Rajasthan(which is adjacent to Delhi and Agra that don't make the tour packages:

Udaipur is a cool smaller city, perched on the edge of a big lake. Get a room with a lake view, worth the extra $5. The center has streets too narrow for cars, which adds greatly to its charm. There is an immense Raj era palace that is worth a tour. Houyr flight from Delhi

Ranakpur is a Jain temple complex in rural Rajasthan. stunning place, and still used as temple. It is halfway by road between Udaipur and Jodhpur, and driving lets you see the 'real India', the rural part. From Jodhpur (also an interesting though decrepit place) you get the overnight train to ....

Jaisalmer, which is a small city perched on the edge of the Thar desert. I don't know why, but this market town with a large old fort charmed the pants off me. It was corny as it gets, but I took a jeep ride far into the desert, then went further by camel. I expected little, but had a wonderful day and evening in a place not so many get to. I love this kind of place, and India is full of them. Back to Jodhpur fly to Delhi, home if you like.

Edited by overthere

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got that book about Burma all for naught.

Looks like Cambodia for us this year.

Could not pass up the relatively inexpensive tours: 10 days of cruising the Mekong from Saigon up into Cambodia. Finishing up at Siem Reap and then doing another tour for 14 days.

With leaving early to spend a couple extra days revisiting Saigon and an extra day or two staying in Bangkok before coming home, the trip should be about 29 days and will last over Xmas and New Years.

Of course all my friends and family think we are nuts but they have not been to this part of the world so it's not like they really have a clue as to what they are talking about.....

It's interesting though to get people's reaction: most are just bewildered.

Wow, sounds like a fantastic trip! A friend of mine, who has seen most of this planet, lists Cambodia as one of his favourite places.

Edited by Guest

I'm leaving tomorrow night to spend four days in New Orleans. I've always wanted to go so my wife surprised me with trip. Are there any must see and do places, attractions, bars, restaurants, tours, etc?

I thought travel to Tibet was pretty easy now? You cannot drift around easily, but I think access to Lhasa is not so hard. And not so cheap either.

I know some people hire a car and driver in India, but I would suggest you not do that unless you feel is is more secure. The cost is marked up a lot from what you can simply hire a car to take you city to city, and you control the itinerary. Another thing is that -oddly- many Indians including drivers have not traveled much outside a narrow area. If you want to get off that track, they know little about where they are or where you want to go. And you are often expected to pay the meal and accomodation costs of your hired driver. Simply hiring a taxi to travel from city eliimniates much of thsese issues. And it is not expensive, perhaps $40 to $50 CDN total to travel for 5 to 8 hours(which may be only 300 to 400kms).

A couple of random things: Indian taxi drivers rarely own their own cars. If you pay $40 to $50, the driver will get perhaps $10 at very most of that and more likely $5 for a 10 to 16 hour day.. So, I always tip them because I am a guilty white colonial. Take a piece of rope with you, if you have to tie down luggage to the roof rack, they rarely have a 10' length of light rope. Check the tread on tires before you get in the car- safety things are very random in India.

Getting an Indian tourist visa is mandatory and must be done in advance. It is a bit ridiculous overall, and in truth a good introduction to Indian bureaucracy which is very dense and fussy.

Message me when you have an itinerary or your departure gets closer.

I know some people hire a car and driver in India, but I would suggest you not do that unless you feel is is more secure.

No, I didn't mean that on my own. I just mean I wouldn't do an organized tour.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm sitting here in Athens, and I thought I'd start penning my review of this trip. I'm going to start with the flights - I flew from Winnipeg to Toronto on Air Canada. I was seated in a preferred seat (don't know how that happened) and honestly I didn't notice the fuss over more leg room (I'm 6'1" and about 265 lbs) and for me the shoulder took is far more important. The flight was delayed by 20 minutes due to an issue with the air data link, but we left without it, and made up the time in the air. I'm sad that Air Canada will be switching from Airbus (I was on an A321-200) to the new 737 Max. I abhor the 737 and it's cramped cabin. At least the C series they're ordering should provide some optional relief. Apparently Southwest has invented new wider seats. I hope they adopt those, even though the shoulder room will still be crap.

Because this was only a week long trip, I didn't want to miss the outbound flight from Toronto to Athens. I left a large window of 7 hours in case of delays. I used the UPX to go downtown and visited the St Lwarence Market and did the hop on hop off tour to kill some time. About two and a half hours before our flight, we headed back on the UPX (I really like it) to Pearson.

I'm going to be controversial as an airline passenger here. I flew on Rouge from Toronto to Athens. I don't get the complaints. The seats are thin, so even with the lower pitch, my knees don't touch, and the seats are wider than those found in many main line wide bodies. Even the food wasn't that bad. The plane was a bit late leaving (because people are idiots), and there was one your flight attendant (my age) that was a bit rude (I rarely have that issue as I'm not s complainer) but without Rouge, the flight wouldn't even exist, not would I have been able to get such a good price.

So we get to Athens. I had planned to take the metro into the city, as it seemed to be a convient option. I'm sure it would have been, had it not just started a 6 hour work stoppage (welcome to Greece - more on that later). So 38 euros later, our taxi dropped us off st our Best Western in the Omonia neighbourhood. Don't stay here - it's a hole and you won't want to walk around at night. The Best Western on the other hand, was clean, and had friendly helpful staff (along with the smallest elevator with pull open doors). I've spent time in Winnipeg's North End at all hours, and this has a similar vibe, especially at night.

Athens itself is a mixed bag. It smells like urine (human and cat), there are cats everywhere, and there is human feces in the streets in some areas (Omonia Square is disgusting). The Plaka neighbourhood, and the areas around Parliament and the Acropolis are spotless. The Acropolis was my reason for being here. It was what I had imagined. It's too bad for all the construction restoration, but it's understandable. The price has increased dramatically this year to 30 euros per person. We did a bit of shopping, visited some other ruins (Temple of Zeus, Hadrian's Library, Roman Agora, but, ruins are ruins. We did a hop on hop off your to cut down on walking a bit, since I no longer trusted the metro. Also, it's hot, and despite my every day power walking, I'm a sweater. We ate at a couple of overpriced restaurants before finding a delicious bakery near our hotel (it seems to be the thing in Greece). On our third day, we went to lake Voulegmei. It's a wonderful mineral lake (less salty than the ocean) with Doctor fish. We really enjoyed our day their, although my fiancée burned her brown skin for the first time in her life (the Greek sun is powerful). Sufficed to say, she's not enjoying the experience.

That evening, we picked up our luggage from the hotel , got on the metro (after confirming it was running) and went to the airport - tip - do not arrive at the Athens airport more than an hour before a national flight. They won't let you through security and you simply have to wait. If you're an expert packer and airport traveller like me, security is a breeze anyway (except for the TSA). We flew to Santorini on Aegean. Voted the best regional airline in Europe (Skytrax) and Star Alliance member - if you want to complain about seats being close together, fly this. You'll then understand what close together means. If you're tall, get an exit row. The flight was about 30 minutes aboard an Airbus A320 and so the tight seats were a non issue. We got to Santorini, shared a cab with some people we'd never met (the charge is per person) and got to our small hotel. The owners were waiting for us (no 24 hour desk). It's a nice hotel (the Ikaros) if a bit downhill from many of the main sights.

In the morning, we got up early and headed to Fira, about a 20 minute walk, up hill, both ways. We took some photos, and walked around. We had breakfast at an extremely overpriced restaurant. My omelette was great. Kayla's English breakfast was bathing in grease. We headed back to our hotel, as the midday sun combined with the uphill walks are almost unbearable. We rested for a couple of hours before catching the bus (the stop is a 3 minute walk) to Kamari beach. The bus is a comfortable air conditioned coach and read only priced at 1.8 euros. We ate at Sunshine Hotel restaurant and used their loungers. I had the mussels and Saganaki. Both were excellent. Kayla had pizza. I thought it was good - she thought it had too many onions (women). We returned to our hotel. Kayla drank on the balcony and I fell asleep. It was a good day overall.

The next day we got up early and took the bus to Perissa beach. The air conditioning didn't work, and it was beyond standing room only. I was drenched in sweat. Coaches are not meant to be used this was. Perissa the nicer of the two black beaches, though Kamari is more developed. We ate at Porto something. The calamari was great, as was the pork gyros. Kayla had a club sandwich and found fault with it (women) though she really liked the fries. We sat in their loungers and swam in the ocean. Kayla got a small Greek symbol at the only tattoo parlour on Santorini. It's owned by two Czechs who don't really like Greece or any part of the Balkans. They were really friendly though. We put a pin on their map of people they've tattooed. There were people from the Faroe Islands, Delhi, Japan, Winnipeg - and now Waterhen.

We returned to the beach and waited for the bus. We got the same bus back and it was packed again, but I managed to get a seat. Some woman who has never ridden a transit vehicle made it hard to get off, as she thought it was beneath her to let people squeeze by. The bus driver was annoyed. We went back to our hotel, did some souvineer shopping, and charged our phones.

We caught the bus to Oia at 7:20. The bus station is about 20 minutes from our hotel (this is the only bus north, and there were none going by the stop near our hotel that we could take to the main station). It was packed, but we got a seat. The bus winds its way along the side of a mountain. All of the roads in Santorini (and Greece in general) are far too narrow for cars. I don't know how they get large busses through, but they do. This route is extra hair raising. Oia is beautiful. We took some pictures, visited the Byzantine castle ruins, and had dinner at a Cypriot restaurant. I had seafood spaghetti (good). Kayla had spaghetti with minced meat. There was no sauce and it was minty...no thanks. Wrong choice there.

We caught the bus back to Fira (two packed buses in a row) and walked to our hotel from the station. We went to sleep. We got up at 4:30 for our 6:40 flight. I had made arrangements with the hotel for a cab at 5:30. It wasn't there. I called and got one. We were, because of the late cab, in a long line. We got on the flight and now I'm in Athens.

Some things about Greece:

It has beautlful sites, and is full of history. On the other hand, it's poor and dirty, something I wasn't expecting. I'm surprised it qualifies and the developed world.

Some things on Greeks:

Greeks are rude and unreliable. It's a cultural thing, I think. They love to make you wait. They have 1 waiter where there should be 10.

I liked my trip, but, it left me with mixed feelings on a country that I've always had so much interest in.

Good review. I heard the same things about Greece 20 years ago! haha Except it sounds more expensive. When my friends went, they found it very inexpensive... but don't be in a rush there... or expect good transit, service or any other amenities that we might take for granted here!