United States, Cuba prepare to reopen embassies I

It has been over 5 decades since embassies in the U.S. have been shuttered. It looks like a deal has been reached between the two countries to move forward with this (after 18 months of secret negotiations).

Some Facts:

• Polls show a majority of Americans support Mr Obama's efforts to improve ties.
  • The island is still subject to a US trade embargo put in place in 1962, which Mr Obama has called on Congress to lift.
  • A Republican congresswoman from south Florida, said in a statement: "Opening the American Embassy in Cuba will do nothing to help the Cuban people and is just another trivial attempt for president Obama to go legacy shopping." (No surprise there!)
  • The White House has said that a presidential visit is possible before Mr Obama leaves office in 2017.
  • Latin American allies have hailed thawing US-Cuba ties as transformative for Washington's role in the region.
  • It is really about putting an end to the last lingering vestiges of the Cold War, and it ultimately elevates the level of the relations between the US and the entire region.

Is it a good thing? I believe it's a step forward to heal relationships between the countries. Why would it be a bad deal?

Thanks BC! I can only assume it was easier for you to find this link than provide information on the other thread. Kudos to Kimmy for doing a bit of research to provide the information you neglected to provide.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

A real step would be to negotiate in exchange for better human rights for Cubans.

Ya actually the Americans are suffering worse human rights violations.

But I'm sure the Cubans like it that people put more value on them then American's.

WWWTT

A real step would be to negotiate in exchange for better human rights for Cubans.

Why? I mean, honestly. Why care? The US, like Canada, has cordial relationships with a whole host of countries which repress human rights, including China and Saudi Arabia. Is anyone suggesting trade sanctions on them?

Why? I mean, honestly. Why care? The US, like Canada, has cordial relationships with a whole host of countries which repress human rights, including China and Saudi Arabia. Is anyone suggesting trade sanctions on them?

I'm not suggesting trade sanctions.

Just using the facts. C'mon bro, start picking up your debating game. You can do better than accuse others of trolling.

WWWTT

Go visit Cuba and speak out against the government. Pass around some newsletters too. I'll see if I can get a lawyer to get you out of prison! Lol. Stop trolling dude. You're acting like a crazy person.

Go visit Cuba and speak out against the government. Pass around some newsletters too. I'll see if I can get a lawyer to get you out of prison! Lol. Stop trolling dude. You're acting like a crazy person.

And you my friend are talking completely ignorant!

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jun/30/cuba-first-eliminate-mother-baby-hiv-transmission?CMP=fb_gu

You put an over inflated value on what you perceive as human rights my friend (you to this to further your agenda)!

Completely ignore the fact that many people do not even vote. Try living without medical facilities, then we'll talk about human rights bro!

WWWTT

People who haven't been to Cuba can be excused for having a very distorted idea of how things actually work in Cuba.

Economically, they are very oppressed. The embargo definitely is crushing the average Cuban's ability to get by financially. There's not much to speak of in terms of luxury items. Even those who do have money don't have much because there's not much there to buy.

But basic freedoms? They're doing pretty good by any standard. Free healthcare, free education, basic food and housing heavily subsidized. Free enterprise is a tough route with the customers having no money, but it's certainly allowed. In terms of things that don't cost money, they've got it pretty good as well. In some ways they've got more freedoms than Canadians and Americans do, because the state is not micro-managing regulations on how they can and cannot do every little thing.

People do it all the time, not a problem. Just don't take money from a foreign country to try to help them overthrow the government, and you'll be fine. We don't let people do that here either.