Does the CPC's new attack ad violate C-51?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that's interesting. I did not know that. Do you know what part of the convention speaks to this specifically?

The treatment of prisoners of war, namely the sections covering propaganda and making said prisoners open to the public to satisfy curiosity.........since said ISIS captives were not in the custody of the Conservative Party of Canada, the convention doesn't apply.

Do you think those ISIS prisoners are in the custody of the Conservative Party of Canada?

If not, then no, they are not in violation of the Geneva Convention, no more so then when the BBC, CBC, CNN etc replay said footage during their newscast........

Can you quote the specific section of the Geneva Convention that mentions that? Apparently it doesn't matter whom the prisoner of war belong to, rather that they are being exploited in political propaganda for political gain. Any "News" station can easily show images of prisoners of war. Unless you consider all news propaganda, which I'm sure the Geneva Convention does not. The news stations could easily say we are just reporting on news, weather it benefits a party, is out of our control.

The real fact of the matter is not weather Harper will be convicted of this internationally, we know that will not happen. The real fact of the matter is that the Conservative party is using prisoners of war, prisoners of war that have died, to further their own political agenda. Say what you want about any other political party but that's low, even for conservatives.

That makes sense to me, but some folks never let logic get in the way of political partisanship.

Right, but even this level of tin-foil hattery is not displayed (that often) by the fringes of NDP party.........but their caucus in Parliament is full of such kooks, with an online public footprint (I guess if you're an NDP MP from Quebec or British Columbia, privacy settings on your social media is not progressive and hip), that the Canadian public is going to be introduced to in the coming weeks and months ;)

Right, but even this level of tin-foil hattery is not displayed (that often) by the fringes of NDP party.........but their caucus in Parliament is full of such kooks, with an online public footprint (I guess if you're an NDP MP from Quebec or British Columbia, privacy settings on your social media is not progressive and hip), that the Canadian public is going to be introduced to in the coming weeks and months ;)

Tin foil hattery? haha yeah because there's a conspiracy here? I wasn't aware of that.

Can you quote the specific section of the Geneva Convention that mentions that? Apparently it doesn't matter whom the prisoner of war belong to, rather that they are being exploited in political propaganda for political gain.

Part III, Sections 1-6, articles 12-50 or 60............and yes, it does mater who they belong to........CBS news didn't violate the Geneva Convention for broadcasting staged confessions of US aircrew during Vietnam :lol:

I don't think ANY news agency around the world should show the news releases from ISIS, because it only aids them in what they are doing and if the news agency won't do it there those government fighting against ISIS , should suggest to the news agencies don't show it.

It is not stooping, ISIS is real and having us pulling out would damage this country big time. And if it takes ads like that to get people in this country serious about the threats ,then do it. With trudeau and mulcair, they will sell this country out. Under both the natives, quebec and unions will be running the whole place.

Edited by PIK

I don't think ANY news agency around the world should show the news releases from ISIS, because it only aids them in what they are doing and if the news agency won't do it there those government fighting against ISIS , should suggest to the news agencies don't show it.

So you're suggesting that the government should try to curtail the freedom of the press? Infringe on free speech? Is that right?

Part III, Sections 1-6, articles 12-50 or 60............and yes, it does mater who they belong to........CBS news didn't violate the Geneva Convention for broadcasting staged confessions of US aircrew during Vietnam :lol:

I'm not going to read through all that. Quote the specific section that pertains to propaganda having to be about your own prisoners of war please.

Do you think those ISIS prisoners are in the custody of the Conservative Party of Canada?

If not, then no, they are not in violation of the Geneva Convention, no more so then when the BBC, CBC, CNN etc replay said footage during their newscast........

That's some serious cognitive dissonance you've got going on there. Your readiness to dismiss anything the Conservatives do is becoming absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. You'll condone the Conservatives using terrorist propaganda in their election campaigns if it means you get to polish your guns. What a joke.

The treatment of prisoners of war, namely the sections covering propaganda and making said prisoners open to the public to satisfy curiosity.........since said ISIS captives were not in the custody of the Conservative Party of Canada, the convention doesn't apply.

Show me the sections. Don't tell me.

Which one of those articles addresses using prisoners of war in a political campaign?

I'm not going to read through all that. Quote the specific section that pertains to propaganda having to be about your own prisoners of war please.

No.......how about you quote the section that supports your implication of the CPC and its use of political attack adds, resulting in a break of the Geneva Convention.

That's some serious cognitive dissonance you've got going on there. Your readiness to dismiss anything the Conservatives do is becoming absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the laugh. You'll condone the Conservatives using terrorist propaganda in their election campaigns if it means you get to polish your guns. What a joke.

Dissonance? I'm not the one suggesting the Conservative Party of Canada is breaking the Geneva Convention with its political attack adds :lol:

Dissonance? I'm not the one suggesting the Conservative Party of Canada is breaking the Geneva Convention with its political attack adds :lol:

An argument was made with respect to the articles of the Geneva Convention. I've been asking for the exact wording and that still hasn't been provided. So I'm skeptical of the argument. But you're posting in this thread like you're some kind of authority on the matter and you can't even post the text of the law.

No, I'm not going to cut and paste 20+ pages of material to prove that the CPC (or the MSM) is not breaking the Geneva Convention via its political attack adds.

I didn't ask for 20+ pages about everything to do with prisoners of war. I asked about the specific wording of the legislation that says they cannot be used for partisan purposes, as the article posted earlier states. You're saying the article is wrong, but you still haven't posted the section that it refers to.

No.......how about you quote the section that supports your implication of the CPC and its use of political attack adds, resulting in a break of the Geneva Convention.

I posted information, with a warning that it may not be validated information, and asked everyone on this forum in that post to help me find where in the Geneva Convention it was stated that it is internationally illegal to use prisoners of war in political propaganda.

I never, unlike you, posted an absolute based on what you say is evidence buried in a wall of text. Post the actual part where it says or doesn't say that this is or isn't part of the Geneva Convention. If you can't do so then obviously you have no idea where it does or doesn't say it in the Geneva Convention.

No, I'm not going to cut and paste 20+ pages of material to prove that the CPC (or the MSM) is not breaking the Geneva Convention via its political attack adds.

Because you have don't actually know. If you did you would post the exact section and this conversation would be over.

I didn't ask for 20+ pages about everything to do with prisoners of war. I asked about the specific wording of the legislation that says they cannot be used for partisan purposes, as the article posted earlier states. You're saying the article is wrong, but you still haven't posted the section that it refers to.

He doesn't have any facts he only has his partisan opinion.

Which one of those articles addresses using prisoners of war in a political campaign?

Article 3, Article 12, Article 14, Article 57 (for private contractors) are all sections prohibiting the use of POWs in demeaning acts well in their custody of an enemy............since said POWs were never in the custody of the Conservative Party of Canada (or CBC, BBC, CNN, PBS Frontline etc), the convention doesn't apply........

I'm sorry that you fell for a retelling of a claim made by someone on a comments section on the internet.......But I do hope the NDP run with this angle :lol:

An argument was made with respect to the articles of the Geneva Convention. I've been asking for the exact wording and that still hasn't been provided. So I'm skeptical of the argument. But you're posting in this thread like you're some kind of authority on the matter and you can't even post the text of the law.

I, like every other current or former commissioned member that has served in a NATO military has received instruction on the pertinent details of the convention........does that make me an expert? Not at all, but I have a far greater understanding of it than you.........or anyone that would claim the recent CPC add is in direct violation of the convention.......

Which article?