Winnipeg helicopter cops talk about blow-jobs, entire city listens.

Winnipeg residents no longer need wonder what police are talking about as they cruise overhead in their helicopter. After cops flew around town with the chopper's public address system accidentally turned on, everybody got to listen in.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-police-sorry-for-x-rated-chopper-talk-overheard-by-public-1.3123905

-k

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect the least requirement here would be a review of console switch positions. It does reind e of a sort of funny one though...of course aircraft radio xmissions must not include profanity or you can get a violation and a fine. So a bunch of airliners are lied up taxiing for takeoff in Chicago, a very busy airport as we know. A pilot i one of them, with that damn switch in the wrong (xmit) position says I am effing bored. Ground control says would the aircraft that made that comment please identify. A bit of a pause and then, I said I was effing bored, not effing stupid.

I suspect the least requirement here would be a review of console switch positions. It does reind e of a sort of funny one though...of course aircraft radio xmissions must not include profanity or you can get a violation and a fine. So a bunch of airliners are lied up taxiing for takeoff in Chicago, a very busy airport as we know. A pilot i one of them, with that damn switch in the wrong (xmit) position says I am effing bored. Ground control says would the aircraft that made that comment please identify. A bit of a pause and then, I said I was effing bored, not effing stupid.

Very old joke, im sure hundreds, if not thousands of pilots have said that....or not, in any case, piloting an aircraft doesn't require much in the way of special talent, as they regularly prove.

A pilot i one of them, with that damn switch in the wrong (xmit) position says I am effing bored. Ground control says would the aircraft that made that comment please identify. A bit of a pause and then, I said I was effing bored, not effing stupid.

that's pretty good. :lol:

-k

Conference calls are infamous.

I was on one once when the big boss in Toronto went off on one of his tedious rants about whatever, on speakerphone across Canada at four locations.

During a pause came loud and clear a comment "does this f***ing windbag ever take a break so I can get some sleep?".

I knew exactly who it was, a colleague in Halifax that I had talked to just before the conference call.

The boss carried on like it hadn't happened, but I heard later that Toronto heard it too....

Nobody got fired, but in a miraculous turn the CEO stopped attending the calls, and we actually got some work done on subsequnet calls.

Conference calls are infamous.

I was on one once when the big boss in Toronto went off on one of his tedious rants about whatever, on speakerphone across Canada at four locations.

During a pause came loud and clear a comment "does this f***ing windbag ever take a break so I can get some sleep?".

I knew exactly who it was, a colleague in Halifax that I had talked to just before the conference call.

The boss carried on like it hadn't happened, but I heard later that Toronto heard it too....

Nobody got fired, but in a miraculous turn the CEO stopped attending the calls, and we actually got some work done on subsequnet calls.

I heard the radio - phone side of a logger ' s conversation with his girlfriend in town once:

"You missed your ... what?"

Long pause ...

"Have you ... unh ... seen anybody about that?"

:)

OK one more I know of from Camp Lejeune NC. Trainee and instructor in a Huey Cobra practising autorotations..(simulated engine failures) student screws up and flares too hard and too late. the tail hits the runway and away goes the tail rotor. Instructor plants it best he can on the pavement and as they slide along with sparks flying off the skid gear, tower in an excited voice asks... do you need the crash trucks....instructor replies in a calm southern accent. I dunno, we ain't done crashing yet.

OK one more I know of from Camp Lejeune NC. Trainee and instructor in a Huey Cobra practising autorotations..(simulated engine failures) student screws up and flares too hard and too late. the tail hits the runway and away goes the tail rotor. Instructor plants it best he can on the pavement and as they slide along with sparks flying off the skid gear, tower in an excited voice asks... do you need the crash trucks....instructor replies in a calm southern accent. I dunno, we ain't done crashing yet.

Lol. Thats funny. Is that a true story? Hilarious if it is.

But they should only be for intercom, not radio or PA. The PA systems I am familiar with still required you to hold the talk switch when PA was selected.

I used a system once ad it was in a helicopter that had VA mics that worked wherever you had your selector, whether it be a vhf, intercom, or pa. Hated it. For the chance of doing what happened to these guys and also there was a bit too much background noise so they would cut in and out regularly even if you werent talking.

That's odd..........First, the 2nd Marine Air Wing has been based at Cherry Point, not Lejeune, since it returned home from fighting the Japanese in the later 1940s........and second, advanced rotary flight training has been conducted in Florida and Texas since helicopters entered service in the United States Navy and Marine Corp. Third, such training, for newly commissioned Naval Aviators, has been conducted in Jet/Sea Rangers since the 1960s........and fourth, all USMC conversion training to Cobras and Huey's has been conducted at El Toro (until it closed) and Camp Pendleton, in California, since forever...........Going even further, any other purposeful auto-rotations of a Cobra would be conducted by either Navy/Marine aviators or Bell employees (my former employer) in either Texas or Arizona.......

Other then that, neat story.......

It is. That base is in NC and they train marines for various roles, including aviation.

Well, no, they don't, as USMC flight training is conducted by the United States Navy, and by the sole Marine (light attack) helicopter training squadron, performing conversion training, on the West Coast.

I'm surprized their PA can be left on and doesn't have a press to talk switch like other aircraft radio and PA systems.

It can, even in modern types like a 429, the Public Address & siren/with amplifier, requires the headset (of the copilot or observer) to be plugged into a separate aux jack (just for this reason)......also, in many cases, not this one clearly though, the public address is prerecorded and can be played through the PA from an MP3/Ipod.

I used a system once ad it was in a helicopter that had VA mics that worked wherever you had your selector, whether it be a vhf, intercom, or pa. Hated it. For the chance of doing what happened to these guys and also there was a bit too much background noise so they would cut in and out regularly even if you werent talking.

Interesting, I wouldn't like that either. Sounds like a screw up waiting to happen. The only experience I have with VA mics is in light aircraft which of course have no PA system. They were only for for intercom and the IC would cut out if a radio PTT switch was pressed. Squelch adjustment would handle all but the worst background noise and still allow the system to work. Maybe helicopters are just too noisy.

It can, even in modern types like a 429, the Public Address & siren/with amplifier, requires the headset (of the copilot or observer) to be plugged into a separate aux jack (just for this reason)......also, in many cases, not this one clearly though, the public address is prerecorded and can be played through the PA from an MP3/Ipod.

Not the aircraft I was on. PA was selected with a switch on a pilots audio panel or the overhead but a PTT switch for a boom mic or a hand mic still had to be used to make a PA. Many is the ATC communication made over the PA or a PA made over the radio (which always gets a good ribbing from other aircraft on the frequency) because a switch was in the wrong position but never conversations unless there was a stuck mic, which also happens occasionally. That is a problem because it can result in blocking a busy ATC frequency. Canned announcements were only used by the flight attendants.

Not the aircraft I was on.

Right, but I'd surmise a large seized-wing type, smaller cockpit in a light helicopter, with no organic need for announcements for passengers, as they will all typically have headsets (and are seated behind you), hence no need for a fixed PA/Amp in the cockpit architecture for the majority of helicopters......Those that do, Police/Medical flights (or Military), will use canned messages for large public events/riots, disasters etc, with the option of streaming live if so needed, for say an armed suspect on foot or conducting SAR.