Winnipeg helicopter cops talk about blow-jobs, entire city listens.

Interesting, I wouldn't like that either. Sounds like a screw up waiting to happen. The only experience I have with VA mics is in light aircraft which of course have no PA system. They were only for for intercom and the IC would cut out if a radio PTT switch was pressed. Squelch adjustment would handle all but the worst background noise and still allow the system to work. Maybe helicopters are just too noisy.

It was exactly that, a screw up waiting to happen. This system had a rotary switch to select what you wanted to use broadcast on. Usually of course it was on IC so you werent telling jokes to ATC. But as I say it was switching on and off with just cockpit noise. everybody bitched so much they put another switch to disable the VA function.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently you have never flown or been in an older Astar. They are quieter than a Kiowa for instance, but not as quiet as your car, unless your muffler has fallen off.

You're talking out of your ass........a Kiowa/Jet Ranger is far nosier than an ASTAR (or Twinstar), inside and out, and yes, I've both flown and flown in early 80s era AStars, as well as far more Rangers/Kiowas/Long Rangers etc......

edit to add

In the example from the OP, if the interior of an AStar is so loud, how would the aircrew's voices have been transmitted so clearly via the PA?

Edited by Derek 2.0

You're talking out of your ass........a Kiowa/Jet Ranger is far nosier than an ASTAR (or Twinstar), inside and out.......and yes, I've both flown and flown in early 80s era AStars, as well as far more Rangers/Kiowas/Long Rangers etc

Apparently its you who is talking out of your ass. Re read what I actually said in my post. Try to actually understand it. Not too difficult.

Apparently its you who is talking out of your ass. Re read what I actually said in my post. Try to actually understand it. Not too difficult.

No, I, unlike you, know what I'm talking about. The ASTAR was the first Helicopter designed to reduce both interior and exterior noise volumes (Why I used it as an example, likewise a common design used by police forces in North America)........As I said, and unless the doors are removed, is as quite as a car and crew/passengers are able to carry out a conversation quite comfortably (without headsets).

No, I, unlike you, know what I'm talking about. The ASTAR was the first Helicopter designed to reduce both interior and exterior noise volumes (Why I used it as an example, likewise a common design used by police forces in North America)........As I said, and unless the doors are removed, is as quite as a car and crew/passengers are able to carry out a conversation quite comfortably (without headsets).

Apparently you don't read well.I mentioned how a Kiowa for instance is noisier that an Astar. Apparently you didn't get that as your comments seem to indicate you thought I said the exact opposite. And BTW, I have about 1100 hours in various models of Astar, both with the doors on and off, so I think I know something about the noise levels.

Apparently you don't read well.I mentioned how a Kiowa for instance is noisier that an Astar. Apparently you didn't get that as your comments seem to indicate you thought I said the exact opposite. And BTW, I have about 1100 hours in various models of Astar, both with the doors on and off, so I think I know something about the noise levels.

From your statements about interior noise, clearly you don't........The AStar, because of its internal/external noise volumes has been renowned around the world as the most quite light helicopter, everything from corporate flights to tour operators acknowledge this..........And because of the noise reduction features of this family of helicopters, the two Winnipeg officers were unable to hear their PA conversations being broadcast, from loudspeakers only several feet away from where they sat.....

I read just fine, and from this ability to read your posts, know that you are full of it. ;)

From your statements about interior noise, clearly you don't........The AStar, because of its internal/external noise volumes has been renowned around the world as the most quite light helicopter, everything from corporate flights to tour operators acknowledge this..........And because of the noise reduction features of this family of helicopters, the two Winnipeg officers were unable to hear their PA conversations being broadcast, from loudspeakers only several feet away from where they sat.....

I read just fine, and from this ability to read your posts, know that you are full of it. ;)

Well apparently you get things somehow backwards when you read, but thats OK, at least you now understand that a Kiowa is noisier than an As 350. You can converse reasonably well without a headset, but its not as quiet as any modern car. The model with the French engine was slightly noisier, but was more dependable than the Lycoming.

Well apparently you get things somehow backwards when you read, but thats OK, at least you now understand that a Kiowa is noisier than an As 350. You can converse reasonably well without a headset, but its not as quiet as any modern car. The model with the French engine was slightly noisier, but was more dependable than the Lycoming.

You are talking about ones ability to read? Nor did I state a Kiowa/Jet Ranger was quieter than an AStar....

Depends on the type, engine placement and sound insulation.......even an older AStar isn't much louder (inside) than most cars.
a Kiowa/Jet Ranger is far nosier than an ASTAR (or Twinstar), inside and out

:rolleyes:

Go back and carefully read post # 25

I did, you stated the interior of an AStar is as loud as an unmuffled car.......as I said, you're talking out of your ass, and explained why, likewise how the two Winnipeg officers were unable to hear their conversation being broadcast throughout Winnipeg, because of how quite (and insulated) the interior of the AStar family is.......... :rolleyes:

I did, you stated the interior of an AStar is as loud as an unmuffled car.......as I said, you're talking out of your ass, and explained why, likewise how the two Winnipeg officers were unable to hear their conversation being broadcast throughout Winnipeg, because of how quite (and insulated) the interior of the AStar family is.......... :rolleyes:

Derek, are you a helicopter pilot? From the posts I am reading OGFT is a helicopter pilot.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

No thats not what I said. I said the interior of a Astar is no as quiet as your car, which it is not, unless your car is making extra noise for a mechanical reason. Get that finally...And yes it is well insulated, but the major reason they didnt hear the PA was because they were in flight. Airflow all by itself provides a significant sound barrier. An Astar interior in flight will give you at least about 10 decibels more than your properly functioning family car.

No thats not what I said. I said the interior of a Astar is no as quiet as your car, which it is not, unless your car is making extra noise for a mechanical reason.

Your own words:

Apparently you have never flown or been in an older Astar. They are quieter than a Kiowa for instance, but not as quiet as your car, unless your muffler has fallen off.

Oh well.......at least I was able to convince Boeing IDS and Bell Textron :lol:

You are not convincing me, how any places do you think they put the engine in an Astar for instance. Any of the ones I flew had the engine, engines if it was a TwinStar, just back behind the xmission. Where they put it or them on most helicopters.

And how is it you would suppose to know that...

Because I've numerous times, and not only myself, have caught you on slip-ups in your tales, which you then quickly dance around or ignore.....in this very thread you suggested you've flown a zillion hours in an ASTAR, yet the interior noise level was that of a car without a muffler........Which is complete and utter BS......even a one-time passenger of an ASTAR would know, from your own words, that you've never been inside one, yet flown one.......

Likewise your phony retelling of an old joke of Marine aviators........You stated as much in several posts, something as fact, that is completely untrue...........I'm sorry, you're full of shit, and a Walt, and I and most others know it on a great many levels :lol:

My contacts in the aviation biz tell me that rotor wash is extremely loud, to the point that they will put high-isolation ear-plugs in, then put on their sound-dampening headsets and turn the volume up to maximum just so that they can hear the radios.

-k